Would you go to school if you could go for free?

I have an appointment with a school on the 28th. I can go for free because I am disabled. I already planned to go back to school for my hair license because I wanted to go back to work. I really did not want to go there but,felt i had no choice in the matter since school cost cash I can't afford. I really want to try pharmacy tech or medical billing. I saw my friend who went back to work because she went to this school and got her job. I am thinking I could go to this school and also go get my hair license.. I could work part time with both jobs and then be able to get off ssi. I am so tired of waiting on a little check every month and not being able to live a good life. The problem is I am worried about losing my medicare and not being able to get my mental meds.. one pill costs $889.00 a month. that may seem like a little thing but that is more than i pay for rent. If I worked and lost my insurance I would end up leaving my job just to get my medication.. stressful I know.. take care..
• Waltham, Massachusetts
I would definitely go to school if it was free. I haven't gone since my son was a baby and he's 7 now. I can't afford it as I'm on unemployment & am trying find a job and doing work from home things that make a little money or will eventually or might and I'm trying to see if I can make some money singing since I've done solos & karaoke & I'm writing & submitting things I've written for pay. I have an autoimmune disease that's caused me to lose some jobs since it affects my speed and appearance & I'm on the waiting list for mass rehab which I've worked with in the past. There's a company that hires people with disabilities to work from home in customer service but I need a mass rehab counselor or disability for that. I would try to finish my Bachelor's and get my masters to become a social worker, counselor, or therapist if I could go back to school. I went for medical assisting but it didn't work out cause of my illness though I did well in school my 1st job let me go after the probation period. I'm divorced and my son lives with his dad cause of my illness and I pay child support and have visitation. I know medication can be expensive and I have Mass Health now but hopefully your job could help you pay for your meds. I believe you should go to school and get a job and maybe work full time to get benefits then go to school part time to do the other work you want then do that full time or try to do that anyway. I wish you the best of luck!
Sorry to hear about all the struggles your having. I am glad you get to see your son as well. good luck.
• Waltham, Massachusetts
Thank you and I wish you the best of luck too. I hope we get the things that we want and that it goes well for both of us. God bless.
@almond24 (1250)
• Hungary
I wouldn't hesitate if I had a chance to study for free. Education is very expensive if you have to pay for it, so I think it's a great opportunity especially if you can find a good job with it once you graduate. If you have to study and work at the same time it's tough, unless you work just part time. I don't know much about health plans though because where I live insurance is more simple.
Basically if you have no money to pay you get mo meds..
@dandan07 (1908)
Absolutely i will go. i like free things, especially those with great value and can make your future more blighter and hopeful. I think in today's life, education and knowledge is a good way to take your chance for a better job and better life. If you can get the education free, why not get it. If you give up this time, there may be no chance in the future to get it free again.
I can't wait to fin out what they have there to offer. I would really like to see what future job I can get with my new skills.
@lynboobsy11 (11346)
After college that I did not graduated. I was dreaming of someday to enter again to school to finish or to take some course to make my self develop. We have school in the city that offered a free tuition fee for us who want to have knowledge in computer literacy and other home based skills, like cooking, tailoring,dress making. so I enrolled to a computer class that I took for 6 months. After that I took again 2 courses at the same time with different schedule. I enjoy and learned so much. Now I can used my knowledge that I can earn some money from it.
I would love to take a sewing class as well.
If I was able to go to school for free I would so jump at it. The chance to better your self through education is a great thing. Not only can you better your self but you can teach what you learn to others. Education is the way to save the world. At least that is how I feel about it. Since you only want to better your self I say go for it and never look back. I mean the worst that will happen to you is you will get a good paying job lol :) Good luck I hope it works out for you.
That is also true and I want to better myself like tomorrow. I can't begin to tell you how much. I have not worked in years. my child is grown and I have nothing stopping me.
Losing your benefits and not being able to get your medication are pretty important things to keep in mind. I have heard that you can remain on SS if you make half what your benefit is. I would hate to go over that one month and lose it. And I think you would definitely lose your medicare. I would wonder if you could get your license and then do some people's hair on the side for extra money.
That is why I decided to go to the hair job because most likely it will be off the books. But,I also need to think about my retirement and taxes for if i ever need to go back on ssi. so I have a lot to think about before I look for this job. I am going to school in the mean time while I decide what to do. the training will always be with me.
Hope it works out okay for you. I have thought about getting a part time job but I don't feel I am responsible because I get so bad some times. So I stay as I am and try to make what I can online.
I would love to do data entry online from home as well. It would be great for me. I only have $30 left after paying bills so I need something and quick..
@carmelanirel (20979)
Of course, that is the ONLY reason I am taking classes now because I qualified for a pell grant. Of course now that I lost some of my grant due to cutbacks, I have to cut back on how many classes I take, but I am going to continue as long as I can..
That is good for you as well. I am going to see what I can get this time around..
I hope you get a good amount, it makes it a lot easier not having to worry about money when one is already worried about passing classes..:P
The government has you by the short hairs, so to speak. They want you to be dependent on their little check, and if you make an extra hundred a month or so you will lose everything. You are in a catch-22 with this. You want to better your life, but by doing so you will have to provide your own insurance. It’s a good thing if you can pull it off. If you can’t pull it off, then you will need to live within the constraints of what you are allowed on SSI. Most insurances won’t pay for new meds… those real expensive ones my daughter’s insurance won’t pay for.. so she has to have the generics and she has to pay only $5 for them for a month. You need to think this all out first before you screw yourself out of having medical coverage.
Mine is generics as well. I am thinking what if ssi is cut off in the next few ears and i miss my chance at a life. so I am screwed either way I look at this.
@MandaLee (3726)
Yes, I would go to school if I could go for free. I also have a disability. You will make more working than you ever will on SSI. I wish you well in school. Have a terrific weekend!
Thanks so much mandalee..
I think because I am a single mom I can actually go to college for free pretty much. If you go to college and go to work and get off ssi you cant go back on it if you decide your not making enough so that could be a problem especially if you lose your medical assistance. I hated high school and dont want to go back to school. I dont think I could deal with the address stress.
I don't want to be stressed out looking for a job afterwards either. but,I am going to give it a try...
@Lisona (177)
Hey go for it, I bet you will be glad that you did one day. You shouldn't pass up an opportunity of gaining a certificate., but then if you have doubts on because of fianacial reasons, make a list of pro's and con's.
I want to go no matter what I am going through. the teaching is worth a lot to me right now. I just hope it is something I would really like to get into.
@cher913 (25891)
absolutely but i am not sure what i would take though, probably some writing classes, at least, that is what i would love to take.
I would definitely go to school if it was offered for free as I am always looking to advance myself in some way or another and increase my knowledge. Education is very imporant for everyone and we should all get the opportunity to educate ourselves and if it offered for free then we shouldn't let go of this opportunity. The medication is so expensive and I can understand you being stressed about losing your insurance and not be able to cover the medical bill. I hope everything works out well for you good luck...
That would be great to go to school again if you can or if you really want to. Getting your hair license would useful I think if you will be working a job. Personally, as of now, I don't have the time to go to school again and learn something to add to my educational attainment. What I need is to learn as much as I can about money and business and from there, see what needs to be done. I hope I can learn something and apply.
@vimal1990 (116)
ya i will like to go school when i am free... school is the starting place of carrier...Money comes today and it will go tomorrow... but main thing is that we should free and proud to go to our school after along period it will be very pleasant full... I will like to go and enjoy to go...