Midnight

@ecaron (678)
I have a big black cat named Midnight, actually he has a nickname also, Poot. My husband named him that. Anyway, Midnight is getting old and I am little concerned because his behaviour has changed because he moans and meows more these days. My husband says because he's getting older he wants more attention from us. I don't know about that because he's always been a bit of a loner. He was sneezing quite a bit for a while and I thought he wasn't well but he seems better now. Do cats get colds? Do they need more affection or attention as they age? What do you think about cats aging? Share your thoughts, My Lot, friends!
@Loverbear (4928)
Yes, cats can get colds. It isn't referred to as a cold but as an upper respiratory infection. It should be checked out. Also they do develop allergies and if Calgary is like California right now, things are starting to head towards spring and there is tons of pollens in the air. That could be why he is sneezing. It could also be something that you brought into the house, like a new perfume, cleaning product, air freshener, or whatever. It would be nearly impossible to figure out. Cats do change behaviors as they get older. Even as they grow. Khuay is only 4 years old and has changed a lot in just a few months. He was very quiet and now he's a chatterbox! He wasn't too big on lap sitting and now he demands lap time. He wouldn't sleep in bed with me and now he cuddles with me each night. Murphy is 18 and has changed too. She used to be a lap sitter and now she prefers to be alone. She didn't like cooked foods and now she gobbles them like crazy. Each cat is different when it comes to aging. Don't worry about the sneezing if he is eating well. The best way to tell if a cat isn't well is if they don't eat. If they don't eat, they don't survive. If they can't smell their food they won't eat. Don't worry if he is wanting more attention, enjoy it! It could be in a few months that he decides that he doesn't want all the extra attention and things goes back to "normal", although with a cat there is never a "normal".
@ecaron (678)
Thanks for the advice about Midnight and I think you're probably right. He is better now and he does eat well and drink and go the bathroom all his normal routine stuff. Thanks for the best response.
@Loverbear (4928)
Thank you for the BR! I get a thrill every time I find the email saying I got a BR. As for cats, I love them very deeply and anytime that I can help a fellow cat owner out with a problem it is my pleasure. I am so glad that Midnight is so much better. If this should happen again, and his eating drops off, get some tuna. Tuna is the strongest smelling fish you can find. It also is one of the few odors that can travel through swollen or clogged noses. I saved many cats when they were so sick by giving them tuna. They wouldn't eat much but at least they ate some. Anytime you need any cat help just let me know (I'm putting a friend request in) and I'll help you the best I can.
@NailTech (6890)
I just read your cat is better now, thats good news. Mine sneezes on occasion and sometimes it's just a one time thing, her eyes were slightly runny the other day as my dad lives here too and he lets her out on the porch whenever she wants and I forgot it was cold that night. She is fine today though. They can get viruses and allergies, upper respiratory infections, and other dieseases like Ulcerative Coklitis and Pancreatitus, etc. like people can.
@NailTech (6890)
Colitis*
@whatrow (793)
They certainly do get colds. My cats have had several bad ones. Without medication, they take much longer to heal. But they DO heal on their own. As for aging, none of my cats are that old. But, I know that they will all die eventually. But, at least they will have had a very happy life filled with love.
@ecaron (678)
Thanks for the good response but he's better now.
my best suggestion is that you take him to the vet, cats have a way of telling you that things are wrong just by the change of their personality, if he's not acting like he normally does, there's something wrong, please take him to see a vet, and yes cats can get the flu, but it's not like human flu, it's worse
@ecaron (678)
Thanks for the advice but he's better now.
@Jessi_T (380)
If Midnight is eating well, and using the bathroom regularly chances are he night be just changing with age. However sneezing in cats is not normal unless they are coming down with an illness. Most common cause of sneezing in cats is upper respiratory infection but it could be something else like allergies etc. You should have the vet to check him to be sure.
@ecaron (678)
Thanks for the tips about my cat, Midnight but he seems better now. My husband said he probably just got dust up his nose or something like that.