Stand up for what you believe in, even if you have to stand alone

I love this phrase. I live by it. Most of my friends are not religious and they laugh at me for following my religion, but I won't back down like so many others I know do. And when people make comments to me, for example racist comments, I will openly disagree with them. Its surprising how uncomfortable this makes them. My 6 year old daughter came home upset a while back, saying some of her friends wanted to stamp on bugs, and she didn't want to because the bugs are alive and should be left alone. I told her this phrase, and explained to her that even if people laugh, you should never go along with others if you think they are wrong.
Hi marianne87, I have great admiration and respect for people who will not back down on their principles and views that are important to them - the way I see it it is these that make us who we are. There's nothing wrong with not following the crowd, no shame in it at all but unfortunately society and sometimes ourselves put pressure on us to go along with other people's ideas and opinions, neglecting our own for fear of being treated differently. But people will always find something to nitpick at. I commend you for teaching such a valuable lesson to your daughter while she is still very much young. It takes some guts to stand up for one's beliefs when they are in the minority. IrishGal77 :)
@MandaLee (3694)
So do I. Always stand up for your beliefs. Thanks for teaching your daughter this important lesson at such an early age.
@lilaclady (28270)
I believe in that saying, I have put up with a lot of ridiculed for years because I stand up for what I believe in and is usually not what the people around me believe. You have to stand for what you believe in no matter what.
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya mari, It is hard to have to stand on your own for what you believe in. Suppose I was lucky and did not have to take that kind of stand too much when I was at School. Sometimes you find yourself without wanting to swimming between two waters so to speak. Even so I have found myself in that kind of situation many times and you just have to stand up for yourself the best way you know how even if you do it all wrong which I have and many others have. Would agree with spike as well on what he says. I can still get laughed at but I care not basically I am what I am and no one will change me thank goodness.xxx Lucky that you have such a young Daughter that stands up for herself that way as well bless her.xxx
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya mari, Right now I have lost the thread a bit of what I was going to say as the Phone keeps ringing and ringing and our Dog keeps pestering and pestering. You can believe in some things so strongly and when it comes to stamping your own personal stamp on your beliefs I think it can be easy or difficult depending on the situation. Suppose it depends on how willing others are to listen to you or if they are receptive to your kind of ideas that sort of thing. Well before I get myself more tangled than what I am getting already (grin. This is more or less what I am trying to get across.xxx
That is such good advice and so very true. It sounds as if your are teaching your child good moral values and to stand up for herself just has you do. I have never heard that phrase Stand up for what you believe in, even if you have to stand alone. I absolutely love it. You sound like a very wise person. Your child is very lucky to have such a wonderfully wise mother.
Not sure about wise, but I am headstrong. I have never been one to back down because others thought I should. For this I was an outcast in school, an enigma at work, and these days I am just someone who people will be friends with if they can handle how I am, if not they don't bother
In my life, I've always heard that you are supposed to stand up for what you believe in. However, I have to say that I've never heard anyone suggest that you continue to do it, even if it is something that you have to do alone. I assume that the reason that I've never heard it this way and that I've never seen it in action is because of the fact that my family and my friends have almost always been a united front. However, you are right because if it wasn't for one person standing up for what the believed in and then having people follow them, then a lot of changes that have happened in the recent history of the world would never have happened.
Aww, that's cute of your 6 year old daughter. See, she is learning the difference between doing what everyone else is (peer pressure) and doing what's right. It's a small example but it definitely says something about the way she is going to grow up! I agree with you 100%. Other's opinions are not as important to me as doing the right thing.
i think it is very good,it is a human's basic character. in the morden word, we face all kind of press,at that time, your character will show up.so you should insist your religion. i was very admired you.have a good day!
Yes you are right.Everyone should have its own principle.Just listen to your heart.
@Archaiwy (599)
i also think it right if one truly knows what he insists is right. And doing this calls for courage. In many cases many people do wrong and they stick to it and blame others for not doing like them.so although they laught at us, we shouldn't change ourselves.
That's a good phrase indeed and nice way of teaching your daughter while she's still young. I am not saying I am the best mom, but I always my tried my best to raise my kids to what I know is right, yes, no matter if they also looks different from the other kids. What matters is, I know I am leading them to the right path. Just hope they will stick to it as they grow old.