Help!!! My Puppy Ate Cookies!

@MoonGypsy (4613)
United States
March 22, 2012 10:38pm CST
i left a pack of cookies tied up in a plastic bag on my bed. i left for a few minutes to pick my daughter up from martial arts class and found that the bag had been ripped apart, the pack of cookies torn open and no cookies in the package. the actual work had to be done by my pit bull,. she probably ate the most cookies. i am not so worried about her cause she is a BIG red nose pit. however, my little doggie is a chiwawa (7 months). i am scared he ate some. he seems fine. this was a couple of hours ago. he just seem really hyper. seems to be calming down though. i am so scared. is he going to be okay you think? i know sugar is bad for dogs, but i hope nothing happens. i need my little doggie. he is my therapy dog. i am a ptsd veteran of the military. it wouldn't be good for me if anything happened to him. please give me some reassurance and let me know everything will be okay.
1 person likes this
5 responses
@stary1 (6622)
• United States
23 Mar 12
MoonGypsy..Is there a poison control centere for dogs you could call?? I know there is for people..or just call a vet. Good luck..he will probably be fine but check with an authority to make yourself feel better...
@MoonGypsy (4613)
• United States
23 Mar 12
thank you so much for your words of encouragement. as long as he keeps acting like himself. i am going to take him to the vet anyway, cause he is due his last series of shots.
@stary1 (6622)
• United States
23 Mar 12
MoonGypsy... I wish you luck..I don't know if I should mention it because I wouldn't want to harm a dog..but my daughter made her doberman drink HydrogenPeroxide when the dog ate a huge portion of our chocolate cake with loads of chocolate icing The dog threw up and was fine.
@NailTech (6890)
• United States
23 Mar 12
I am not concerned about them unless he has had a bad reaction to the sugar before, or if the cookies were made out of chocolate or had some on it he may be in trouble as far as sick. My suggestion would be that if you are truly worried, you could take him to your vet and get him checked out telling them more details about the cookies and how many he possibly ate. I'm praying he does not get sick. My cat got out the other day and I couldn't get to her, as she always has to run to the neighbor's yards, not this yard. They have all kinds of things like wild onions growing and I thought I had seen her eating those as she loves eating anything green. I have cat grass for her in the house and she still wants to go out and eat more grass. I have been taking notice of her behaviour lately and she doesn't appear to be sick and I was truly worried she might be due to those darn onions.
@MoonGypsy (4613)
• United States
1 Apr 12
thanks alot, he is doing fine. i am so happy and relieved. i heard somewhere that dogs and cats can actually handle more than we think. after all, aplo didn't always exist. i guess as long as they are not eating foods they are not supposed to all the time.
@kedralynn (992)
• United States
23 Mar 12
Was there chocolate in the cookies? People food may not be good for dogs and some things like chocolate are downright toxic. I'd just keep an eye on him. Vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea are things to look out for. Should those occur, I'd call a vet. I don't know about in your area, but we have an animal hospital that is open at night for emergencies and then have regular vet clinics all over the place that are open during the day. Make sure your dog stay hydrated too in case there is vomiting and diarrhea. How long has it been since they ate the cookies? If it's been 5 or 6 hours and they seem ok, I'm sure it'll be fine.
@MoonGypsy (4613)
• United States
1 Apr 12
thank you so much kedralynn for your info. i am glad to report that my puppy is still doing great!
23 Mar 12
I would think he would be fine, but if you are really that worried about him maybe you should take him to the vet? My dog eats all kinds of stuff, but he's a big boy and seems to have a stomach of steel. I'm sure the Pit Bull will be fine, but I can understand why you are worried about the baby.
@MoonGypsy (4613)
• United States
23 Mar 12
well, it's like almost 3 hours and he seems pretty okay. still acting like his normal self. he did throw up, but just a little bit. still not crying or anything, though.
@free_man (7337)
• United States
23 Mar 12
Hi MoonGypsy and welcome to my lot. What kind of cookies was it? If it didn't have chocolate in them I wouldn't worry about your puppy. My husband makes our dogs peanut butter cookies all the time. Peanut butter and oatmeal cookies won't hurt the dogs they actually are good for them. Thank you for serving in the military! If the cookies were cream filled cookies they are not good for dogs. I hope and pray your puppy is okay.