Pure Religion

@debrakcarey (19924)
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, to visit the orphans and widows in their afflicitons, and to keep one self unspotted from the world. James 1:27 What do you think? What is the difference between religious charity and government welfare? If the churches were doing what the Bible says to do in this manner, would we even need government welfare?
@peavey (16332)
Some churches do what they can, but not all. And some do it in the name of the church, instead of the name of the Lord. Too many times, things seem to be all tied up in red tape. I had a friend who wanted to help the homeless who congregated in a certain park downtown. She would take sandwiches and clothing down there when it was cold, especially. She decided to ask the church for help so she could do more. What did they say? They wouldn't do it unless she did it their way - under the name of the church and not in her own name. She became disheartened and finally left the church. Charity from the heart seems to be a precious and uncommon thing, even among Christians. Charity for the sake of looking good to others just doesn't do it. But to address the topic more specifically, if churches would be charitable from the heart and lend a hand instead of just throwing money and food at it, maybe the homeless situation wouldn't be as bad. Maybe some people could get some real help and the government wouldn't have to get as involved. There are charities that do that and some are connected to a church, or at least faith based. When the government gets involved, of course there is no heart in it. It's just a handout and some people learn to play the game. That doesn't help anyone.
@debrakcarey (19924)
You all made some very good points. I am so afraid for our country guys. If God's people cannot even get this right, we as a country are doomed. God has warned, we have shook our fists in his face. 9/ll and the crash of our financial institutions are the first shaking. I fear what is coming next if there is no repentance.
@peavey (16332)
I agree. I have been reading the historical books of the Old Testament and seeing how God blessed and removed His blessing from Israel because of the way the kings acted. I think God has shown us great mercy and patience so far. He will not wait on us to repent forever, though.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Is there a time when God's patience runs out? He is a merciful God, but is He also a God of judgment? Has He removed the hedge of protection from America?
@samar54 (2456)
• Egypt
"Pure religion and undefiled before God " Is this on the rest of the religions to defiled before God?
@debrakcarey (19924)
It is saying that God sees true worship of Himself as to care for those who cannot care for themselves, and to keep yourself UNdefiled, or of a pure heart, before God.
@samar54 (2456)
• Egypt
I see,thanks debra
@debrakcarey (19924)
Thank you for reading my discussion Samar54.
What a way to look at it. I guess you are right in the sense, if churches did their share of helping out in the societies then definitely we would not have government welfare. According to your theory the government is more of the church than the church i
@debrakcarey (19924)
lol,funny you should say that, our president used scripture to try to justify a tax hike. And his wife, told us all in a speech that her husband is comparable to the prophets and saints in the Bible.
It's a wonderful passage in the Scripture which is a very touching subject on pure religion and undefiled before God. If believers in the Lord will truly do what is written in that verse, then this world would be a better place to live in. the church has a spiritual and at the same time, a physical responsibility to provide the spiritual and physical needs of human beings they minister to. The government, on the other hand has only one-sided responsibility which is toward the people, most of the time. The government neglects the spiritual side of things and our world has gone down in morals and ethics.
@debrakcarey (19924)
The government's job is to see to it that no one infringes on the rights of anyone else. To keep a standing army for national defense. To provide for enforcement of laws that the legislature passes. Federal and/or State government has NO PLACE within the conscience of it's citizens. No place providing for their daily needs. The STATE government can do that, not the federal government. And you are correct, it is the churches responsibility to teach morals and ethics. Along with the family and the schools. Seems like no one's doing what they're supposed to, and everyone in government wants to do it all.
@kukueye (1761)
Human selfish will destroy all pure religion. - Human cannot tolerate anything that is pure
Hard to said , will churches take care of non christian communities? It seems sometime , churches concenrate on their own flocks only and not the lost, same with other religion some time, in a coutry that is populated with many religion , it need a government. Imagine if u are a christian in a muslim country, will the mosque be charity to u? Or will the church be charitiable to the mosque community? Basically human sucks1.Human will screw up any thing that is noble and good for our own selfish needs.
@debrakcarey (19924)
I agree. I allowed the Morman missionairys to come in and deliver their 'lessons' to me over the course of a few weeks. I politely explained from the Bible why I did not agree. We parted ways and then when I was down, my sister-in-law who is a Morman let her church know I was in need. Even though I did not agree with their doctrine and did not join their church, they came with food and clothing for my kids. I was impressed. I still didn't join, but I gained respect for the individuals who out of love for God, gave to me and mine.
@dragon54u (31604)
We would not need government welfare if we'd go back to the old ways. Here is what my mother told me. When she was a child in the 1920s there were poor people but no government dole. Neighbors helped each other. For instance if someone was in trouble and had very little food someone would invite the wife to bring her children over to play and the women would bake; the poor one would go home with a couple of loaves and a cake or cookie as payment for her help and the kids all had fun. Men would hire their neighbors even if they didn't really need the help and trade goods or crops for labor. People kept their pride and the generous could give and have that satisfaction. When disaster struck like a fire or tornado everyone banded together to rebuild and shelter each other. Churches were small and poor but congregations would work together to help the helpless or the unfortunate. They would raise money with bake sales, field work or other enterprises in order to help their neighbors or fellow congregates. If we could do that we would not need government "help".
@debrakcarey (19924)
What you wrote made me think of the 'widow's mite'. A rich man gave a few coins and thought how wonderful I am to have given to the poor. A poor widow came and gave all that she had, a mite was a fraction of a coin. The Lord praised the widow, for she gave all that she had and trusted God to provide her needs. The rich man gave a small fraction of all the riches he had and boasted that he did the right thing.
@barehugs (8986)
Have you noticed how close religious organizations are with their money? This is because religion is a huge scam. The Catholic religion is the biggest business in the world, and by far the richest. The Pope is the wealthiest man ever to walk on this earth! Now contrast that with Spirituality, which does not collect money. If Religion was what it pretends to be, would it not have made the world a better place? After all religion has been around for nearly 2000 years!
@debrakcarey (19924)
Religion has been around for the entire human history. And yes, it can be made into a business and loose all its connection to the human heart. We are talking about what it SHOULD be. And no religion can force the human heart to be right, that is a matter of individual choice. Thanks for the response.
@webearn99 (1744)
It is a sad fact that people are moving away from religion on the grounds that it has disillusioned them. Since what the Church or any other religious charity can do is to take contributions from who can give and rout it to the needy, falling attendance means less contributions and so less to give out. This whole process is entirely voluntary, motivated by compassion. On the other hand, the administrations collect taxes, and every one has to pay up or face the consequences. This is a compulsion with clear and visible punishment. This makes people give and the government then has enough funds for social welfare. What would be desirable, is both of these to work in unison and then whatever reaches the needy will be productive.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Like I said above, if the government has to demand, it means nothing. I also would be afraid to let the government in the church doors so to speak. If they are helping the church help others, they can tell the church what to do in other areas, like doctrine and teachings.
@bird123 (10481)
You are right. Government Welfare should not have to exist. On the other hand, it's nice to know that good people in government are willing to do the job when religion comes up lacking. I've always said that I might not believe in religion, however I do believe in people. God's children can be pretty remarkable and generous when the need arise
@debrakcarey (19924)
When ever anyone, government OR church puts conditions on their charity, it is wrong. And when government commands someone to give when they don't want to, it is wrong also. You cannot enforce a law that says someone has to care. If it doesn't come from the heart it means nothing.
• Marion, Kansas
If each of us was doing what we should, and as much as we could, we would be caring for each other better and probably more efficiently as well. Many people believe that if something happens, the government will fix it for them, or pick up the pieces. Unfortunately, we are the government. The government's pockets are on our jeans. We cannot count on someone else to do everything.
@debrakcarey (19924)
and the church has let the government take over it's misson. You are so right, we cannot count on someone else doing OUR job as followers of Christ. God's hands.
This would depend on what the people accepting welfare expect of the church. Does the church give handouts to everyone whether they are a member or not? Churches would not be able to pay their own light bills if they are paying everyone elses bills.
@debrakcarey (19924)
they gave all that they had, and followed him....
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
The churches are doing a lot of this. At least mine is. Religious charities are very active here in helping the homeless and with unplanned pregnancies. The government stuck its nose into in a few decades ago during the depression when private citizens were no longer able to keep up with all the needs because they, too, were affected by the economic slump. The government took advantage of this to take over more of the helping work and then began to raise taxes to the extent that ordinary people did not have as much to give to their churches or other Christian relief organizations. Then the organizations began to accept government money, as well, and accept the government regulations with it. That kind of government "help" gave it a few worldly spots. We also know the devil tempts those in the churches and they succumb way too often. So in that regard, we are not a pure church, unspotted from the world. It was the intent of the government for many years to take over charity work from the churches, and they have used the tax structure to discourage giving to charity by decreasing the amount that can be deducted for charitable donations. That doesn't excuse us, but it does make it hurt more.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Can we repent and return to our first love?