I'll Testify

@SomeCowgirl (32273)
Well A lot of people know that I work for a grocery store. There was an incident maybe a month ago, and I am not quite sure what it involved. When it happened a man came up to my register and I started ringing his items up and a coworker came to help me bag. He started complaining to the coworker about whatever happened, saying that if the customer who he witness almost get hurt would have sued he'd have testified. I think it must've been some sort of spill. Well I didn't say anything as I don't think I want to lose my job. Basically I'll tell you how I felt in a moment. In any case I grabbed him again the other day to check him out, not remembering that that was who he was, though I couldn't have helped it anyway we are supposed to grab from other lines to make the lanes much faster. In any case the same coworker came up to help me as he did before, and the guy started complaining again asking if anything was done about it. Oh I think it must've been something that had to be evened out, a mat that's what it was! In any case, I didn't comment again. Why didn't I comment? Well this is how I feel, he was going to jump on the suing bandwagon (to testify) just because of a little indent that caused someone to trip. Now while I understand that is dangerous and something else could've occurred to seriously hurt the customer, it should be the customers on perogative and concern, their own battle and not that of the man who stood by and saw the incident. I also feel as if he doesn't understand the goings on at a grocery store, I think he even said this himself. We do not have enough employees to go down every aisle and judge every hazard that may come. We are very proactive in trying to keep hazards away and have measures in place to keep hazards from occuring. Such as if a spill occurs, someone goes to stand by it while another goes to get the stuff to clean it up. In any case, how do you feel on this? How do you feel about people who jump on the "I'll testify in court" bandwagon?
some people need help standing up for themselves. he may have been that person for her. the store has insurance so these things will be covered. If i saw someone fall i would help them out if they needed me to. i would not do what he did at all. but,sure i'll go to court because the store has to be responsible for all it's customers..
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
He seemed to be the type that if he could he would have convinced her to go to court just so he could have his two cents worth. I just didn't like his attitude at all.
that kind of person would do more harm than good. he sounds like he has nothing better to do with his time.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
Maybe not, he sure seemed uppity and snudy. I just hate those type of people.
@JenInTN (27565)
There are a lot of people out there that just look for reasons to sue the pants off a person or company. I guess there have been so many people that have gotten away with it and got a ton of money that they figure they can do it too. I think that places should be accountable for certain safety issues but I also think that a person has a responsibility to be safe too.
Maybe the guy is a 'ambulance chaser'. He could help the guy get a lawyer and expect part of the money from suing the store. SOme people are just out to sue. I have even known of people who would try to cause accidents for the money. It takes all kinds to make a world. Funny both guys were around at the same time both times.
@writersedge (22579)
We only have rugs at entrances for this reason and someone does check them often in our stores. People who want to sue all the time drive me crazy. Good that you're smart enough to say nothing. otherwise he'd probably subpena (spelling?) you.
I may not know the incident that happened which resulted in that man coming up and saying that he'll testify in court, but all I can say is that the concerned parties need to have a mutual understanding regarding the incident. If the man is concerned, at least he will talk to the owner first. If he's not satisfied, then that's the time that he'll have other options. When you hear such man, be it known unto you this day, that he is not serious about it. If he is, he would just file a complaint and testify himself. It is one way of telling you to fix it up or next time, something will happen. Anyway, I think that if his concern is legitimate, that your store owner should also look into it. Just relax and have a great day ahead.
• Marion, Kansas
May I answer a story with a story? I think we throw this phrase around too much, and even our children take advantage of situations. As a bus driver two different times I dealt with kids running their mouth about suing. . . one time, a couple of the kids saw another vehicle coming toward us on a country dirt road. At first, they started saying to play chicken, which I did not, then one smartypants started saying, "If you have a wreck and we get hurt, we will sue". We will testify that it was your fault. I calmly told them that any time I had a wreck, I would testify that their behavior was disruptive and I would counter sue their parents for having disobedient kids. Stopped them in their track. This man, regardless of his age, sounds very immature, just like those kids. You are doing absolutely the best thing all the way around by not speaking.You cannot have your words used against youl People are exposed to minor risks every time they even get out of bed. You cannot guard against all hazards, but the store does take reasonable precautions. Maybe they should use fluorescent duct tape and tape the rug down all the way around. I wonder what this guy supposes he would get out of testifying. . .