A dream in a dream

@Porcospino (17979)
Denmark
Last night I dreamed that I was dreaming. This is my dream: I woke up and I felt very confused, because I couldn't tell the difference between things that I had really experienced and the things that I had dreamed. I had been listening to music before I fell asleep and I had been reading a book and I couldn't figure out if my thoughts came from the things I had read and listened to in the real world or if they were a part of my dream. End of dream. When I woke up in the real world I still felt confused, and I thought that the things in the dream in the dream were real Have you ever had a dream in a dream and was it as confusing as mine?
@lynboobsy11 (11346)
It happened to me most of the time I'm dreaming, in my dream I'm also dreaming. And when I woke up in my dream, still not in the real world, specially if my dream is a nightmare I just told myself still lucky because I'm only dreaming and after I woke up in a real world I got confused if the dream that I dream is true . Sometimes in the real world, something that make me think of the situation has happened to me before and after I realize I already saw it in my dreams. Sometimes strange things are hard to explain.
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
I also feel confused when I wake up after that kind of dream, and I find it hard to know what is real. When I wake up in a dream it feels real and it feels like I really woke up. Later I discover that the experience where I woke up was a part of the dream and not real. If the dream in the dream is a nightmare it is a relief to wake up and discover it was a dream, but at first I don't realize that the fact that woke up is an illusion as well, because that is just another part of the dream. The thing you wrote about seeing things in real life and you already saw in a dream is fascinating. I have only experienced it a few times, but it makes me wonder how something like that can happen.
@lynboobsy11 (11346)
I'm really confused and thinking all over again where and when, I saw that scene. I just told my self maybe I'm already so forgetful that I can easily forget the events in my life. After realizing I saw that scenario in my dreams and with the same person. Strange isn't it?
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
It is strange how something like that can happen, but I have experienced it, too. I dreamed something and later on that situation happened in real life. I have heard stories about people who got warnings in their dreams. They dreamed something and later on that situation really happened and they were able to avoid the danger because of the dream that they had.
hi spino yes I have and it was confusing in that for awhile when I woke up I was looking for the Kleenex box I had put all those lovely ten dollars bill in the dream I dreamed I found an apple tree that also bpre some ten dollar bills so I plucked them and carefully put them in the empty Kleenex box so I could take them home with me when I woke up. then I looked around and my son asked me what i was looking for and I said I found some ten dollar bills on the apple tree. I put them in an old Kleenex box . He laughed . "You were just dreaming mom. "I said "then you have to give them back". He had quite a time convincing me I was awake and the other stuff was all a dream. Finally I woke up and the empty Kleenex box was on the floor full of used Kleenex. No ten dollar bills in the box at all. lol iii
typo alert an apple tree that also bore not bpre bu t bore. sorry about that.
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
It is a pity that the apple tree with the ten dollar bills wasn't real, a box full of 10 dollar bills is better than a box full of used kleenex I have also had dreams where I found money, unfortunately my hands were empty when I woke up, and I got disappointed when I discovered the truth Sometimes our dreams seem so real. I remember one dream where I dreamed that I was dreaming. In the dream I was lying in my bed and I had a small wound on my leg. I noticed that there was some blood on the bed sheet. When I woke up my bed sheet was totally clean and I didn't understand that. I thought I had hurt my leg for real, but it was just a dream...
I've had a number of dreams within dreams. I'll have a dream that I'm getting ready for bed and going to sleep, and then I'll be dreaming about strange things. Sometimes I have what I call "false awakenings" where I think I've woken up and I'm walking around my room. At some point, I usually realize something is wrong. I remember one particular false awakening when I went to the bathroom and noticed the toilet needed cleaning. So I tried cleaning it, all the while under the impression it was 2:00AM something in the morning. The more I scrubbed, the worse it looked... until finally I realized I still wasn't awake! I wound up in a lucid dream and ran away, flying through some subway-like tunnels.
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
It was interesting to read about your dream. I can easily imagine the situation where you were cleaning the toilet in the middle of night and suddenly discovered that you weren't awake. I have also had dreams where I thought that I was awake. They all seemed real and I believed that I was awake. I have had dreams where I woke up more than once and each time I thought: "I am awake now", but I was still dreaming. When I finally woke up for real I was totally confused
I've had sequences of false awakenings like that too. I usually know the instant I'm awake for real, but when I'm still dreaming I usually don't know whether or not I'm really awake yet. It's the weirdest thing.
@Cherish14 (2695)
hi there, i am always confused about the dreams i am having when i sleep. but i don't remember experiencing dreaming in a dream yet. i am sure that is very confusing
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
Yes, it is confusing to have a dream in dream, and when it happens to me it usually takes me a while to figure out what is real. When I wake up in the dream I think that it is real and that I am really awake, but then I wake up again and discover that I wasn't awake like I thought that I was, it was just another part of the dream. I had one dream where I woke up twice in the same dream. It was a strange experience and every time I thought that it was real
@meozard22 (872)
well sometimes I experience that. It feels like what's happening in my dream was real and I was actually doing it. Then sometimes I wake up to go to the bathroom and then I will wake up again and would do the same thing again. I guess that's normal sometimes
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
When I read the responses in this discussion I also get the impression that it is normal get that kind of dreams sometimes, because I can see that many people have experienced the same thing. The night before I started this discussion I had one of those dreams within a dream, but it is not the first time that I have experienced something like that. It happens sometimes, but I don't always remember the details of the dreams when I wake up.
@alberello (4755)
Well, dear friend, to begin with, the importance I give to my dreams, is equal to ZERO! Yes, in fact, the mind is wandering in sleep on its own, where we have no control. So if you dream of something pleasant or we run into a nightmare, certainly does not depend our control. However, if you really want to know, to me I do not have ever something similar to yours, ie: to dream that I dreamed. Even some people I have known to me never mentioned an event like. I, however, sometimes I say "unfortunately" dream every night (as everyone does), good or bad dream that when I wake up I still have in mind for a very short time, and then magically disappears.
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
That is true, our dreams is one thing that can't control. The only exception is lucid dreams where we are aware that we are dreaming and have the ability to control the dream to some extent. I have experienced that a few times in the past, but in most cases we can't control the dreams. Yes, we all dream and some dreams are pleasant and some dreams are nightmares. I remember some of my dreams for in instanse if I dreamed something very scary or if something very pleasant, but in many cases my dreams disappear when I wake up unless I write them down straight away.
@megamatt (14330)
Yes that is rather interesting when something like that happens. I had a dream that I woke up from a dream and gone right into an even stranger dream. I do wonder how many layers deep a dream can go, how many dreams within dreams can you go. Can you go too far deep and have a never ending series of dreams, which you may never wake up from? Is this how people may die in their sleep? So many questions to say the very least. Still dreaming that you are dreaming is rather interesting. It is just something that I really just fascinating. Just when you think you are back in the real world, you really just are pulled into another dream. The dream world is fascinating, especially when it is multi layers, many layers deep, and just when you think you are back, then boom still in the dream world.
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
The number of layers or dreams within dreams is an interesting question. I have had a dream where I woke up twice before I woke up in real life, so it was a dream in dream in a dream. I remember the details from the dream quite clearly. At first I woke up and I disovered that I had overslept and missed my exam and then I woke up again and discovered that I didn't oversleep and that my exam didn't start yet. Then I finally woke up for real and discovered that everything had been a dream, and there that was no exam at all. It was a strange dream in a dream in a dream, but it was interesting as well. It was fascinating because I thought that the dream where I had missed my exam was real, and I was angry at myself because I didn't get up in time. When I woke up again I realized that it was a dream and I felt relived because I knew that was able to make it in time. I still believed that the exam was real. When I woke for real I finally discovered that there was no exam.
@Archaiwy (599)
Hi. somtimes i experienced this kind of dream.but in many cases, i will remember my dream clearly.And what is surprising is that if my dream is a happy one ,the following day is also a good one,while i will have a bad following day.so sometimes i pray to have a good dream.
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
I have never thought about that (that a happy dream could indicate a good day) but it sounds interesting. I will try to notice if I experience the same thing. Some dreams I remember quite clearly when I wake up, other dreams disappear very quickly, so I have to write them down straight away if I want to remember them. When I was younger I had a dream journal where I wrote down my dreams, but I haven't done that lately, maybe I should start doing it again
@yrallih (147)
Yes I had this experience. I dreamed that I was dreaming and when I woke up, it was still part of a dream. I felt very confused after waking up though. HAHA
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
I also felt confused when I woke up after that dream. It took me a while to figure out what was real In the dream I had been reading and listening to music before I fell asleep, but I also did that in real life, and when I woke up for real I just didn't know what actually happened and what was just a part of the dream. In some ways my dream of the copy of the things that really happened and that just made it even more confusing...
@ybong007 (6658)
I can't recall most of my dreams since I tend to forget about it the moment I wake up. But your experience about dreaming within a dream about the movie of Leonardo Dicaprio called inception where they stole information from people by getting into their dreams.
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
I hadn't heard about the movie Inception before I started this discussion, but I am going to find out more about that movie and I might rent it. Like you I often forget my dream when I wake up, so if I want to write to it down I have to keep a notebook and a pen near my bed otherwise I might forget the details before I write them down. On the other hand there are some dreams that I remember even after a long time, maybe because they were especially scary or because they had a special meaning.
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
hi Porcospino Until the time I watched Inception, I believed that this was just my imagination and nothing about any one else having this kind of feeling. When I saw that movie, I realized that some others too must have felt or seen a dream in a dream thing and that might have led to its creation. This discussion from you too brings me to conclude that what I saw was true and not just my imagination. Okay, here is how it goes - I have this nightmare many times - I am with my parents on the roof of our older place of stay, and it is evening about 5:00 pm. Water from all sides rushing in and I can see the waves are quite high (we stay at least 60 Kilometers away from the sea). And soon, we are in that water - maybe drowned or what I dont know. (many a times this nightmare ends right here but on some occasion it continues -) Then I wake up (in my dream) and I see myself on another rooftop where there is fire all around and this time there is a kid girl along with me (aged around 6-7 years) and asks me to save her. I take out my shirt and wrap her up and cling her close to me just in case the flames hit us, she is safe. And soon, I see myself engulfed in those flames... Soon it starts to rain heavily and the flames on me go away... I am quite much burnt and the girl too is somewhat burnt but safe and in a better condition. It is then that I wake up in the real world feeling too hot (even in winters I feel to switch on the fan for a while). There is another nightmare too but that is not a kind of dream within a dream.
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
I don't know the movie Inception, but I am going to look that up later. It sounds like something I would be interested in watching. When I read the responses I can see that several people have experienced the same thing. That surpriced me a little. When I started the discussion I didn't know if I would get any responses at all, but I think it is nice to hear that I am not the only person who has experienced that kind of dream. Your dream sounds very scary especially the part about the fire. I am very scared of fire, and sometimes I have nightmares where I am trapped inside a burning building. I see flames all around me and I am unable to escape. When I wake up after one of those dreams I feel very scared. Sometimes I don't remember the details of the dream, but I still wake up feeling very scared.
More often than not, I see my dreams as a foreshadow of things to come in my real world. However disorganized or scattered my dream are, I always believe there is some interpretation to these dreams as though a force beyond me is breathing into my soul and telling me of things that are or about to happen in my life. Some of my dreams are just vivid and a few in panoramic color. Dreams keep me excited about life.
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
I believe in that, too. I have dreamed about things that later happened in real life. Some years ago I had a dream that I especially remember. I was a nursing student and the night before we got the information about our first clinical I had a dream. When I woke up I had forgotten most of the dream. I only remembered one thing and that was a voice that repeated the word "gastro". I didn't know how to interpret that when I woke up, but I remembered the word very clearly. When I got to the school we received a piece of paper with the names of the wards where we were going to spend our first clinicals. On my paper it said: Gastroenterological ward, so the dream suddenly made sense.
@deodavid (4150)
Well that happens to people once in there life i guess, there was once that i woke up did all my routine and went outside my room and it was different and then i woke up again, weird i woke up in a dream then woke up again in the real world. odd right.
@Porcospino (17979)
• Denmark
Yes, it is a strange feeling to wake up in a dream. When you are in the middle of the dream it feels real and you think that you actually wake up, and then you discover that the part where you thought that you woke up was just a dream. I had one dream where I woke up twice within the dream. That was strange. At first I woke up and thought that I had overslept and then I woke up again and I discovered that I didn't oversleep, it was just a dream. But all of it was a dream, and I didn't realize that till I finally woke up for real. When I woke up (in real life) I felt confused, and it took me a while to figure out what was real.
Just the other day I took a nap in a room. I was not alone in the room but a dream came to me. It was about a sermon in a church service I attended. Someone woke me up and I could not figure out whether the guy in front was the preacher or someone else though before I fell asleep no one was addressing us.