So, here I was, dozing in front of the computer...

@ElicBxn (60895)
and the roommate comes in. She had just gotten off work, went to her room and turned on the monitor - nothing! Tried again, STILL nothing. Side had evidence of contribution from the four legged roommates. She cleaned the switch. STILL nothing. Minor panic attack time! She let me know we had a problem. Now, this wouldn't be so terrible, but we just dropped $300 on small fridges yesterday and it was RAINING besides! So... I offered her mine for a bit. "What are you going to use?" she asked. "I have the laptop." I said pointing at it. So, she went to unplug the monitor only to find that was already unplugged. She plugged it in and voila, it works! Gotta LOVE our four legged terrorists sometimes. Are your pets ever so helpful like ours?
@BarBaraPrz (20794)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
First thing to do before calling for help in regards to something electrical that won't turn on is to check to see if it's plugged in...
@ElicBxn (60895)
The kicker is that we have ALL the surge protectors in her room in plastic boxes to keep the cats from ruining them, but this had been unplugged from the back of the TV/monitor. Its actually a flat panel TV I got off of freecycle. And the cats have never unplugged things like this before... now we have something else to look out for!
@BarBaraPrz (20794)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
They must have heard someone talking about April Fool's and thought they'd give it a go... Have you seen Joe Martin's comic strip "Cats With Hands"? http://www.catswithhands.com/cdaily.html
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Cats with hands,you say? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6CcxJQq1x8
Maybe the plug was the first thing you should have checked! lol My cat's turned off the Wifi once. We knew it was her though because we heard it snap and Kristine was on the computer and saw it go out. It was a simple fix, thankfully. After that she's really only ever threatened to do some damage to our computers. Now the laundry net bags on the other hands...
@ElicBxn (60895)
When Star was alive, she stepped on the surge protector and turned off the modem, the router, the roomie's work computer AND the phones! Took us nearly 15 minutes to figure out what had happened!
Wow.. that's quite the disaster.
@alberello (4755)
Well, I certainly can understand that when our "jewels" computerized does not work, as you rightly wrote, we are all seized with panic attacks. Fortunately, from what you have concluded, it seems that this problem is over "happy ending", ie that in the end your monitor will be reset to function properly. You mentioned in the speech, talking about dogs. In the family we have a female dog named "Kelly". Damage does not make it, as his race, Labrador, is very calm and peaceful. Although I do not deal personally of the dog, I want to it a lot of good. Now in effect, after 7 years, it is part as a member of our dear family!
@ElicBxn (60895)
actually I was talking about cats... we have a little cat rescue - check my link in my profile to see some of the cats - and some are much more creative than others...
@Loverbear (4928)
I wondered where Khuay went! I had been doing a paper for class and got up to go to the bathroom. I came back to find Khuay sitting on the computer with a smug look on his face. He had managed to delete half of what was on the screen! I about freaked out until I remembered that I had saved the paper. I learned that from the last time that he had "sat" on the computer and deleted what I had written for all eternity. Going to undelete didn't work, so I had to redo all the work. The little darling (Khuay) is laying beside me. I reached over to pet him and he jumped about 3 feet straight up and this time he spit!!! I didn't know he knew how to spit!!
@ElicBxn (60895)
it DOES sound like a Khauy stunt! But I suspect it was one of the black and white brats, meaning Mo or Oliver, the other two lack the weight to unplug anything much! I also suspect that it is the end result of many visits by the guilty party, and that may mean it could be a smaller cat... and if THAT is the case, then we have 2 tabby and whites who just LOVE being behind the monitor!
No we've never had that problem thankfully. Though I will say the IL"s have had to call us over cause various things many times things were not plugged in. But wth their heart problems it's hard for them to move furniture to inspect.
@ElicBxn (60895)
but it was unplugged from the back of the TV/monitor not the wall... actually, all the electronics in the house are pretty much plugged into surge protectors and all the surge protectors in her room are protected from the cats, so it couldn't have been unplugged from them! Part of why we put them in plastic boxes was the fact that beyond frying a surge protector, the brats kept stepping on them and turning them OFF!
@ShepherdSpy (8562)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Cats do like to play with dangling cables and strings..I'm steady trying to keep things out of DJ's reach,but he's a keen climber..there's not many up high spots now he can't get up to,and the higher up the more risk of them falling off or getting some help on the way down from him..
@dragon54u (31637)
My dogs are very helpful sometimes, too! Gus is afraid of thunder and one stormy day he tried to hide under a table next to my desk. In his efforts to hide as well as he could he pulled loose several things included the plug in the power strip! Cookie has pulled her bed over near the lamp cord and unplugged it when she plopped down on her bed. I've learned to check plugs and connections first and also to re-arrange things for prevention!
@Lakota12 (42684)
yup if they get behind the desk into al the wiring back there something is bound to come loose or unpluged
@ElicBxn (60895)
But we had the wall stuff protected, this time they unplugged it from the back of the monitor!
@Lakota12 (42684)
oh my
@MsTickle (24993)
Sleeping at last. - Benji loves to play. An old pair of socks is a great toy for sharing.
Benji is very sweet and thoughtful when he thinks it's time to wake up. He jumps on our heads! He jumps on Banjo's head, Roxy's head and my head! Then he licks my ear and has me in stitches of giggles because he tickles. He's a real scallywag varmint!
@ElicBxn (60895)
he sounds like a very sweet dog, our dogs are a great deal bigger...
@JenInTN (27565)
LOL...Oh yes..mine are very helpful. I have one that actually thinks she is a lap top pad. She is to unlevel to make a good one, but she tries very hard. She thinks she has more right to be on my lap than anything..including my laptop.
@ElicBxn (60895)
because as soon as I'm available, the cats mob me, I pretty much leave all my computer stuff in a cat-free zone!
@KrauseHome (35517)
I can remember back when I first got married, and my husband had a Cat he owned before we got married. This was back in the day when I used WebTV for internet access. I can remember her learning how to turn off the keyboard, etc just to get attention. Animals are sure funny sometimes, and Glad this was just something minor like this.
@ElicBxn (60895)
so were we! We really couldn't afford a new monitor at that point!
@suspenseful (40316)
I gather your cats pressed the off switch on the power bar. Happened to me. I left my lap top plugged in, and then opened up the lid and got this "you are running on reserve battery power,"so I looked down and the light in the power bar was not on. Oh and my cat has tried to open the door to get into the bedroom, tried to tunnel under the door, etc. Hoping she does not get too strong and pulls the plug out of the wall or fiddles with the Tb switch. But you never know.
@ElicBxn (60895)
OH, they learned that one ages ago, we have all the power strips in plastic shoe boxes with little holes cut in the sides... they pulled this out of the back of the computer!
mine usually don't mess with the computer (except for the occasional pay attention to me keyboard stomp)..but we do have a calico/tortie who will hang up the phone.she'll look you right in the eye and put her paw down on it. she's pissed off quite a few of my brother's girlfriends doing that.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
This is attempt number two at responding. Long story short, has happened to me before, but not because of animals. It's such a relief when it is just the plug!