Man accidentally hang himself for real during Lent presentation

accidental hang - man accidentally hang himself when he mistook the stage rope as props and carried on with his acting as Judas
By K31
Philippines
April 10, 2012 6:03am CST
i really pity this guy. This is one reason why everyone (stage crew and actors) should do a careful and thorough check on props and stage materials. This happened in Brazil where a man mistook the stage ropes as props for the play. The man who played the role of Judas (the scene where Judas hanged himself) grabbed the stage roles my mistake and used it to hang himself. He was unconscious for almost 4 minutes and the others wasn't able to realize what's happening since the script did expect the guy to be dead. The guy was sent to the hospital and is said to be in critical condition.
2 people like this
9 responses
11 Apr 12
i don't really understand.. did he hang himself with what he thought was a prop? isn't that stupid anyway, regardless? to put something round your neck? i don't understand how the prop wouldn't have made him die as well.. hanging by anything is fatal, no?
12 Apr 12
yeah.. bit like tempting fate really isn't it?
• India
20 Jul 12
What a pity, almost sounds like the actor almost met his one of the1000 ways to die stunt. The props in stages may seem to be very harmless but they could also kill very easily. It’s a miracle that the guy did not die because it was practically impossible to tell whether he was acting or had actually passed out due to excessive choking.
@secretbear (19466)
• Philippines
13 Apr 12
That's one freak accident. It was still fortunate that he didn't die from it.
@MoonGypsy (4613)
• United States
10 Apr 12
i never knew that you could play around with hanging your self. that is something it seems like your mother would tell you not to do as a child. i know he was trying to make the role look real, but there is no way to play off hanging. i hope he ends up okay.
• United States
10 Apr 12
This is really horrible. I did a scene once that did require me to 'hang' myself as well. It was made into an action shot where I stared at the noose in front of me, then half way through the monologue, put it and tighten it around my neck while I stood on a chair. Then at the end I start to step off the chiar and the stage went black. In reality I had to quickly adjust back to the chair so I really wouldn't end up hanging myself. This was a short ongoing monologue in a series I had to do about 20 times in an hour.(People walked from one scenario to another in groups) By the end of the hour I couln't feel my legs anymore because they had gone numb from standing on a folding chair for so long...the last time my legs didn't make it back the chair because I couldn't feel them but luckily a stage hand saw what was happening and ran up in the dark to lift my body up and put it on the chair. I had a rope ring for about a week around my neck all for the sake of theater. I hope this guy turns out to be okay.
@airkulet (2705)
• Philippines
10 Apr 12
oh my can I see the original article, is he okay now or did he die on the spot
@almond24 (1250)
• Hungary
10 Apr 12
Oh my. Poor guy, hope he will survive! But what can't understand is how come there were so many people around, other actors should have realize that he hung up himself for real by mistake... for long minutes they were just standing there not having a clue what's going on? That's weird.
• India
10 Apr 12
Most of them think that the arrangement for the stages is very simple but this type of issues gives us people an evidence that they are very important and a simple careless mistake can cause a lot of problems
• Philippines
23 Apr 12
I totally agree with you. I just hope people would take props and stage inspection thoroughly and do a complete run through and check of everything before an actual scene.
@shaggin (36287)
• United States
10 Apr 12
Wow that really is terrible. I hope that he survives. That is really scary that this happened and a very unfortunate accident. He was trying to do his role well and wound up nearly dying because of it. I cant imagine being in that situation how scary that would be strangling like that.