What happens in a country where 51% of the people pay no taxes?

@bobmnu (8160)
Right now around the world we have many countries where the government supplies over half of the money necessary for the people to live. IN the US we are fast approaching the point where over 50% of the people will pay no taxes but receive a majority of the government programs. With the earned income tax credit a person can have $1200 withheld for taxes but when they file they get the $1200 back and an additional amount up to I believe $4500. When you talk to people they want a Fair Tax such as a Consumption Tax or a flat tax. Given the choice do you think the people who are now not paying taxes are going to vote for any change to the present system or do we need a minimum tax on gross income?
NO, the people that aren't paying now are NOT going to vote for a change. But, with that being said they are only doing what the other 49% are going in looking after their own interest. Why do you think these BILLIONAIRES are supporting these candidates? Do you really think that they just believe in the guy? LMFAO!!! They are making an investment for their own financial good. Just like what the other 51% of the people are doing.
Sorry, I forgot to actually talk about the tax end of this. Can you please explain to me why it is that you are upset because low income people are taking advantage of the tax code, but when the ultra rich like Romney do it, you say they are not doing anything illegal? I am married, and have kids, it wasn't my choice to give myself a tax break for that, it was the US government. I don't own a company, and can't pay myself at a lower tax rate like Romney can. Nor can the vast majority of American!!!
@bobmnu (8160)
Back to the original question what happens when we hit 51% not paying taxes and they vote to tax the 49% more. Do we end up like Greece where you have the private sector paying higher taxes so that the Government employees can draw their retirement after 20 years. You have a normal unemployment rate in double digits. This is where we are heading if something is not done about the government spending. It sound good to say lets tax dividends and interest at the same rate as income but every time the Capital Gains has increased the tax revenue goes down and when it is lowered the tax revenue increases.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Why is it a bad thing to be successful? Change the law so that everyone pays the same rate, get rid of the loopholes, keep only those deductions that help the struggling folks with kids or starting out a business. What is so friggin hard about this?
@suspenseful (40316)
The trouble is that with a tax on consumption , it does not eliminate the income tax or reduce it. WE used to have a manufacturing tax and all we did was pay about five percent on the product. Well guess what, we got stuck with a provincial sales tax and a federal tax that added to about twelve to fourteen percent and only those go low income got a rebate. So what they have to do is to reduce the general income tax. And there should be a basic income -and that includes government income where no tx is paid, what a person can live on, take the bus or walk to work , utility, and clothes as long as they are not expensive. Oh and people should not be rewarded because of having children without a husband By the way those people wll probably vote for Obama because well he gives them what they want. They do not want change. The only ones who will vote him out of office are those who are fed up with themselves being leeches and will take any job no matter how hard and how low.
@debrakcarey (19924)
They do not want change. They got their change, now we have no hope.
@bobmnu (8160)
If we had a consumption tax the income tax should be eliminated and the tax rate should a fixed rate and require a 2/3 vote in both houses to change.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Early in the campaign, during the debates, those sort of plans were discussed. Romney didn't talk about an overhaul, maybe lowering taxes. I had gotten excited about the possibility we would see some positive changes in our government's approach to taxes. Do you think Romney is up for this?
@debrakcarey (19924)
So, you are in effect, saying it is hopeless, we cannot change it. That along with rampant voter fraud being exposed, is very disheartening.
@bobmnu (8160)
It is not hopeless but every election is very important and we need all the legal voters to get out and vote.
@debrakcarey (19924)
http://www.coachisright.com/november%E2%80%99s-votes-will-be-counted-in-europe/ http://johnpaulus.com/blog/2011/12/27/4-democrats-charged-with-voter-fraud-acorn-connections/ I'm voting, but wondering if it will matter.
@sierras236 (2740)
Simple answer, the country runs out of money. Oh wait, that's happening right now.
@debrakcarey (19924)
We ran out of money a long time ago. Now we are living off of the credit of a communist country that has a very bad track record on human rights. but thats ok. We must keep up the front that we are still America.
@scheng1 (24742)
In Singapore, more than 67% of us pay no income tax. However, we do not have many benefits from the government. If we are jobless, the government will not help us.
@surekharathi (14134)
First thing it is impossible 51% people not paid income tax. I can say only 25% tax are paying through Maheshwari peoples. If this will happen then Govt should take action against those people who are not paying the tax.
I guess a country would not develop and progress if half of the population of a state would not pay any taxes but I guess it will be impossible to happen because the one who regulates in paying taxes were kind of strict when it comes to that matter and I'm sure that the government would not let that thing happen.