Avon isn't working out for me

I have been an Avon representative for a while now, and most of my neighbours don't place orders. I haven't made any money, I have had to place orders myself just to reach the sales targets. So this isn't going to be a real career option for me. I will continue to sell Avon because I buy certain products myself, and I have a couple of regular customers who I wouldn't want to let down. Also, I buy products for my little girl, she is 6 and really into makeup and girly things now. And its an easy option when I am looking for gifts for relatives too, for birthdays and Christmas. I would be interested to hear from other Avon reps, or anyone who has ever been an Avon rep, to get your views and find out if there is any way of improving my sales.
@sohnikhan (144)
I sell avon too .i do not make any profit just for my self and some of my family members.i live in usa and there are so many direct selling companies that are rising every day.i joined so many companies but nothing worked out for me.Beauticontrol,Jafra and Velvetkisses sterling jewelry are some of them.
I'm in the UK and the only other direct selling companies I know of are Kleeneze and Betterware (one is mostly cleaning products and the other is a little like Tupperware I think)
@magtibaygom (4865)
You can achieve good sales statistics like others are doing here, but you have to do some unusual practice in the direct sales industry which is utilizing credit system, which is to lend some products to your customers. Are you willing to do that?
I don't have the money to do that
@mari61960 (4895)
I tried selling Avon years and years ago. I didn't do very well with it and just ended up spending my own money...lol Now it's a bit easier if you can get online customers I suppose. One of my best friends tried selling Avon also about 5 years ago and she did well for the first couple of months...and then nothing... I guess I'm not being very helpful here..but keep your chin up..perhaps it's just not for you either...lol Do you use samples, everyone loves free things, perhaps flyers or some books in shop windows. Good luck I hope you get some tips that help.
I do use samples, I put a note in the books saying there will be a free sample for every £10 spent, but I suppose people either don't have the money or just don't want anything from the brochure
This seems to a job that is actually not really working for you. The good thing is, you have a girl that likes some of the products you are selling and again, your relatives are into the same products that you are selling. It is a good thing to hang on to since you are not guaranteed of a better paying job elsewhere.
@stanley777 (7176)
You should look for people who really need make up- like business women and teenagers, they wear make up almost on a daily basis. it is hard though- but you could also ask people online..
I'm not giving this advice from the perspective of being an Avon rep, because I haven't been. However, I've been an independent consulant for a direct sales company and I do have some advice that I can offer that will work for anyone that is in direct sales. First of all, don't be afraid to talk to strangers about your product, you never know who your next customer could be. Keep regular contact with your customers and perhaps even offer them a discount when they recommend a new customer. Participate in vendor fairs when you have the opportunity.
@yanzalong (9715)
How long have you been with Avon? If you think you haven't made any improvement, I suggest you should try another, if that's possible.
@sassy28 (835)
I used to sell Avon and did nothing with it. I even did a fundraiser with my son's school hoping to pick up customers, that was a big mistake. Half the orders did not come in, because it was backordered. So I ended up having to refund money and with what I promised the school I ended up losing money. I think unless you have a real good place to sell it most avon representatives only make minimal amount of money. Then with what you spend it is even worse. If you are in the US have you looked into Premier Jewelry. You do home shows and the initial investmest is a little high, but you can make it back pretty easy. My average home show is between $400 - $600, which you make 50% of your sales. So it is not bad for a couple hours of work and they pay you at the show so you get your money upfront.
@Cherish14 (2695)
hi there, i used to be an Avon franchise dealer too. i would bring the brochure and show them to my classmates and i was really doing good because i would have some extra money for allowance in school. it was a really good help to me. but then i stopped because i had to focus more on my studies because i was graduating that time. i always want to make sure that everyone pays before the due date so i didn't have to pay for the penalty for the delay and also i don't really buy some stuffs there because i want to see how much i am earning. it won't be good if i also keep bying there, or i'll end up owing a lot from Avon too hehehe, instead of earning, i would have to just pay it for the items i got. i wanted to go back to doing that but i just don't have time to go to the Avon office anymore because it is so far. maybe sometime in the future.
@almond24 (1251)
• Hungary
My mother sells Avon too, I try to help her when I can, but she makes just a few dollars from it. There are a few people who order things regularly, plus she buys for personal use, but can't make a lot with it. There are some good deals time to time, but in some months nobody finds anything in the brochures. Plus almost everybody in the town has their own representatives already and order products from them.
One of my friend just started, I think she did quite well, she said her family and friends all helping her, well, maybe just the first month, she needs to find more customers for sure in order to continue to meet the target.
@LouieWpHs04 (4560)
Never made sense to me about Avon. Why invest money when there are tons of services you can use without paying any kind of initial investment to promote a given product/service, etc. At least that way you can test to see if the particular individual can actually sell the given product or service without any risk other than some misc. time investment.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
hi marianne, I am not sure if giftsandbags is a friend of yours but you need her to tell you her experience with Avon.... I am not even an avid Avon user, but I wish I had a suggestion for you.....
@chicgale (2982)
I am Avon member but I only use it for my personal use only. But, my friend is doing Avon business for years now and she is making a good profit of it.
My friend used to sell avon and at first she liked it and then when all the people would promise to pay at a certain time she would be stuck but most of them paid but she said it was very difficult to make any kind of money there.