Tsunami warning in india, Indonesia

@ravisivan (14051)
I did not feel the tremor that was said to have hit my area around 2 pm today because I slept just a few minutes back. Tsunami warning was given and schools, colleges, offices were closed. There is a lot of traffic jam in most part of Chennai city. Now people are gathering near marina beach-- on the thinking that tsunami may not trike Chennai. I think still warning for tsunami is there in Indonesia.
@mobhomeir (7567)
Just be vigilant my friend and do take good care of your self... Mobhomeir here 041112
@ravisivan (14051)
mobhomeir - yes,. earth tremor was recorded four times in chennai. thank god it did not persist long and it was not on high scale. luckily we are safe here now. good day.
@mobhomeir (7567)
Good to hear that friend..we have only one life to live..we must take care of it..always take good care of it.. Mobhomeir here 041112
@lynboobsy11 (11347)
I saw it in the news just a few minutes ago, I was about to do the discussion here to ask how is our mylot friends who lives in India and Indonesia. I felt bad about the earthquake are still experiencing now with after shocks. I hope your okay and I would pray that tsunami will not strike in both countries.
@indahfth (11173)
I am from Indonesia. You are right. Indonesia had a tsunami warning. Precisely to the region of Aceh. Earthquakes have repeatedly occurred. I hope the Tsunami, it will not happen. If there is, hopefully there are not many casualties. Very sadly, have to listen to news like this. I hope, prayers of all members of myLot, so that the tsunami did not happen, in my country.
@ravisivan (14051)
lynboobsy -- Are you from indonesia or Philipines? thank God tsunami has not struck. But there were strong tremors in West Bengal and Tamil nadu. Indahfth: yes. Indonesia is one of the countries which is affected by tsunami, earthquake more. I wish and pray that tsunami should not hit Indonesia, India or any other country. Damages are difficult to explain and bear. it causes enormous loss to national and to families.
@lynboobsy11 (11347)
I'm from the Philippines ravisivan, and it is all over the news. I hope and pray for your safety.
Oh gosh! I hope that it doesn’t hit near where you are. I’ve seen them on TV and it’s a devastating thing to have to go through.. lives lost and homes and businesses destroyed.
@ravisivan (14051)
PQ: You were also able to see in TV locally over there. thank God. EQ and TS have gone away from us for this time. Let us hope they will not revisit us in future also. thanks for your wishes. by the by. how is your health? are you keeping yourself busy as usual? good day.
Thank you for the well wishes. Yes I am doing better. I'm very busy writing for an extra income. I hope to make a couple hundred dollars a month with it. I write on average 5 articles a day. I wrote 6 today. Plus I'm busy in microworkers.
@ravisivan (14051)
great PQ. I know you can write very well because english is your mother tongue and you are familiar to US requirements. keep it up and earn nicely. good day.
Hello friend, You are right. It is very horrible incident. I am live in India(kolkata). So I realise this incident. I am very scaree about it. Have a nice day.
@ravisivan (14051)
Tamosree -- I know Kolkata was also affected by tremor. TV reports indicated that. Take care. Kolkata nice place, nice people. I read today news item that Airtel is introducing G4 internet in Kolkata.
Hello friend, Yes you are right. Kolkata is effected by this horrible incident. Hope so we can safe. Yes kolkata has introducing G4 net of Airtel. It is a very good news for us. Thank you for your prayer. Have a nice day.
@ravisivan (14051)
I am interested in knowing about Kol because I was in Kol in 1970s for two years - then I was also near Siliguri. a place I cannot forget - because I spend my active days over there and had an excellent hospitality from the local people. They liked me very much.
@Rick1950 (1481)
• Peru
Nowadays there are a lot of disaster in the world and you can know about them thanks to the globalisation. Through the internet all the world is connected and can communicate easily to each other. Anyway it is better to be ready and try to take measures in order to prevent disasters the best way.
@ravisivan (14051)
Natural disasters cannot be prevented. But the information can be passed on to the other side of the world through internet and damages reduced.
@Rick1950 (1481)
• Peru
You're right. Natural disasters cannot be prevented. Actually I wanted to say that people should have some food, water, basic medicins or a radio in the case that a disaster occurs. Also people should be informed what to do when a disaster occurs. Have a nice day.
@vandana7 (57186)
I have experienced two earthquakes in Hyderabad. The first one was rather slow, and I could feel something connect with the earth's center through the pit of my stomach. It may have lasted just a few seconds, but the feeling was terrifying. The second one was still worse.. It was at a great speed..almost like lightening bolt in the earth below the building. Best area is Ooty. Not likely to experience earthquakes and things for a long time. :) Dont worry, everything will be fine. Take care.
@ravisivan (14051)
vandana: thanks for the response. Ooty area also had some tremors a few years back. Thank God that Hyderabad earth quake did not become so very deep--like Gujarat Latur earth quake.
@vandana7 (57186)
That could have been a landslide..:) But geologically, Ooty and Nilgiris are the safest places in India..
@jaiho2009 (39079)
hello ravi, Our country is also in danger and our government announces the safety measure for our countrymen particularly here in Manila. But our case is not about this tsunami, but a rocket debris. here's the link http://ph.news.yahoo.com/worst-case-scenario-evacuation-luzon-201715257.html Regarding India and Indonesia- let's pray for the safety of everyone :)
Hello friend, I am a Indian. So I am very scaree about the incident. Hope so we will be safe in very first. Have a nice day.
@ravisivan (14051)
jaiho: thanks for the response. yes. Phil is also in danger. But now recent reports say that we may not have tsunami. However tonight when we sleep many of us will have fear. My wife was in a hotel near Mylapore tank --Kapaleeswarar Temple -- She says they experienced tremor for nearly 10 seconds. but many others say it was for two seconds only. I wish we escape --Indonesia, Phili, India and all the countries from earth quake and tsunami.
@sswallace21 (1824)
I don't think I would be hanging out at the beach to see if a tsunami was going to bypass Chennai. A tsunami can hit fast and you would not have enough time to react. I would think they would take past incidences into consideration. Best Wishes!
@ravisivan (14051)
yes. but curiosity prevailed over safety. thousands of people were standing in the beach on the tsunami expected day in spite of warning by police. good day
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
Hello ravisivan, This is more of a an alert to people who live by the sea side. Since you live in Chennai it is likely that you or the other people might have had the alarm of it. But in whatsoever condition it is better to remain alert of tsunami or Earthquake. The way global warming is increasing it is not unlikely that such natural disaster could strike at any time.
@ravisivan (14051)
You are right. global warming is the main reason for such experiences. we should be alert. but we cannot prevent them happening if we are destined to have them. thank G they did not strike us this time.
@preethaanju (3000)
hope nothing like that happens again we have ahd enough of it several years back
@ravisivan (14051)
yes. luckily tsunami did not strike any country. earth tremor only was there luckily it was not a big earth quake.
@Cherish14 (2695)
i hope it doesn't happen and never happens again. it is pretty scary
@ravisivan (14051)
cherish 14 -- welcome to mylot. your id makes one feel that you are very very young and also a new comer. Great. thank God EQ and TS have not not struck any one severely this time. I wish they do not recur again.
I saw on the news that the earthquake in Indonesia was strong at 8.5 magnitude. I wish everybody's safety and hope they would heed the tsunami warning.
@ravisivan (14051)
You are from Phil, is it not. I am told even Phil govt. has cautioned people of adverse situation. let us pray we will not have any problems due to earth quake and tsunami.
@indahfth (11173)
@ravisivan (14051)
Indahfth: just now TV people are telling that the tsunami alert has been withdrawn and they do not expect tsunami to hit India. let us hope so. I wish tsunami and earth quake should not strike again.
You really lucky to have been in bed and more so if the tsunami did not come your way. I feel sorry to the young in schools and colleges but these are misfortunate of nature that we must experience. I hope India recovers in time from the tsunami and not forgetting all the people going through the same scare.