Today's news on my store.........

@Rosekitty (19438)
San Marcos, Texas
For the 2nd time in 2 months the ceiling came crashing down with a flood of water..it isn't raining outside so i knew one of the three apt.'s upstairs either has a major leak or it is raining and i can't tell..haha..so water is shut off..and of course down come the 1st tenant upstairs to complain..he sees my ceiling on the floor and shut's up before he can speak..what a lovely sight to see..you had to be here..haha..the first time this happened my landlord wouldn't compensate me for all my ruined merchandise..well I wonder what will happen this time?? Has anyone had to deal with a slum landlord like mine?..I fell in his parking lot and broke my ankle in a pothole..he wouldn't pay my DR' bills either says he has no insurance..What a liar pants on fire.huh?
@savak03 (6681)
Do you live in Tennessee? Because here in Tennessee the laws are weighted toward the land lord. In other states though the tenets have more rights and land owners are liable for accidents that happen on their property. You probably have grounds for a law suit for the pot hole incident at least. I would talk to a lawyer if I were you.
@Rosekitty (19438)
• San Marcos, Texas
I'm the type of person who always thinks people will do the right thing and have compassion, but if it gets too bad i won't have much choice except to get a lawyer..I live in Texas
@MoonGypsy (4613)
yes, i knew it! you live in texas. the home of freak everyboby and their rights just give me your money. i use to live there in the same apartment complex that i mentioned in the post below. you will get screwed in texas with most things, trust me.
@savak03 (6681)
I haven't had much experience with landlord tenant laws in Texas though I have lived there. The reason that these people get away with what they do is because of people like us who always want to think the best of others. I have had to learn to be cynical. As the economy gets worse and worse more people will only look to their own interest and if they can get by with providing substandard service they will. I am not that fond of lawyers either but it comes down to picking the lessor of two evils.
@dragon54u (31636)
You may not be the litigious kind but how many others have this landlord ripped off? You can be a voice for all his victims. Find an attorney who might work on a contingency basis (for a percentage of your award) and get your merchandise paid for as well as the days your store was out of business. What about the tenant upstairs, would he join your lawsuit? You could get everyone in the building that has been taken advantage of to join the suit. I'm not litigious, either. If I'm injured and they pay my bills, fine. If I wasn't looking where I was going and was clumsy, I'll pay my own bills. But people like your landlord are what the courts were created for. I hope you'll think about it.
@Rosekitty (19438)
• San Marcos, Texas
6 mo. ago i was in the parking lot of my store and fell in a pot hole he never fixed and broke my ankle real bad..i still can't walk right..anyway i asked him for his insurance so he could pay the bills..that is when he said he had no insurance..so you see what i have to deal with..I was told i would have a hard time suing them and it could go on for years..i can't afford all that..so i suffer using my walker and hope Karma catches up to him soon..
@missybear (11396)
He sound awful...take him to Judge Judy
@Rosekitty (19438)
• San Marcos, Texas
I wish..haha
hi rosekitty like when I fell here at Goldcrest over a year ago Valentines day after. my insurance sent papers around asking me if I had brought suit against Gold crest for my injuries well d amn I have to live here and if I had and they had had to pay me they would also probably have told me I cannot stay here any longer get out. so no I did not sue them nor did they have to pay my hospitalization as I had health insurance that covered my stay at Care house. it was technically their fault as they had not mopped u p a coffee spill and my feet slipped and down I went.broken nose, broken cheekbone and badly twisted right knee.we complained about a water leak and finally got the housing admin. down on the landlord and the housing admins brought their own plumber who fixed the leak in the upstairs bathroom that w as flooding our downstairs bathroom. so the next day we got our notice to move out the landlady told me you should not have gone to Housing \authority, we;l damn they had not done anything about it so what were we supposed to do grin and bear it. slumlord sare all over the place.here in the USA
@Rosekitty (19438)
• San Marcos, Texas
Patsie..its so sad when we try to do best and someone that has no feelings but only thinks of money gets away with things..its like you are stuck to go along or kicked out.. I'm so sorry for what you went through, but thankfully we have each other to talk to..hugs my friend
Good thing that the ceiling did not crash on you, it would have been terrible. I think your landlord do have a responsibility for this kind of instances. I would suggest that you try to talk to him again and make him understand that the situation is really alarming. If that didn’t work out; you may need a legal adviser on how you can deal with it. Good luck.
@jerzgirl (8027)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
I would check your state's landlord laws to see what his legal responsibilities are. If he is required to pay you for damages (ankle, merchandise, etc), then contact whoever it is in your area who monitors landlords. If he's required to carry liability insurance (mine do), then file a complaint that he said he's uninsured so they can investigate him. Don't know what your state's laws are, but even the most conservative generally have minimum responsibilities that landlords must uphold.
@rusty2rusty (6767)
• Defiance, Ohio
Well, I have had landlords like that in the past. What you do is put your rent money in escrow through the courts til they fix the problems.
@else22 (4319)
Really horrible! Here in India I don't have any idea about the laws in your country,but I know you can file a law suit against your landlord.It is his duty to get the apartment repaired.And,as you have mentioned,this has happened for the second time in two months.You can sue the landlord,and,I think,you should.It is his duty to address all such problems of his tenets.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
If he doesn't do anything this time you really must sue his a$s off! Surely it's a legal requirement for a landlord to have insurance? If not then the Law is an a$s too!
@KrauseHome (35522)
Wow!! Personally in a situation such as this, if he will not pay up, it would be time to take him to court, and see if there is anything they can do. I know I would have done something like this when you hurt yourself out in the parking lot as well. They have to have Insurance or they could be sued. But I know I kept quiet one time when I hurt myself at my neighbors and should have made them pay for an injury. But with this situation sounds like he better be willing to pay up.
@ElicBxn (60895)
How horrid! I heard about your previous problems, seems like you should be covered, but I guess he doesn't have flood insurance and neither do you...
@MoonGypsy (4613)
i wouldn't say that i lived with a slumb lord, but the apartment complex was very small and substandard for the money. the water was always orange. there were always plumbing problems. if your stove blew out, they wouldn't put another one in until months later. just you be late with the rent, though. they are quick to take your money or kick you out if not. perhaps you should go through the proper channels and complain.