Awww, My Dad Is Going To Press Tom's Interview Trousers For Him!

@Janey1966 (24126)
Carlisle, England
My Dad is now 75 years old but is still BRILLIANT at ironing, especially his shirts, trousers and the like. He says it "relaxes" him. Hmmm! Anyway, it's getting close to his grandson's interview at the Pleasure Beach on Tuesday so on Monday my Dad is going to press his trousers for him! Oh my, he MUST get the job now. His trousers are gonna look awesome! It all stems from ironing his army uniform and it was a job none of his army pals liked doing, so my Dad would iron theirs as well..for a small fee. He's doing Tom's trousers for nothing though. Awwww!
I remember your Dad is quick-tempered.I have not absolutely thought he is proficient in ironing.Tom will impress them favourably when he wears the trousers his grandfather press to have an interview with the Pleasure Beach.Judging by this,your Dad dotes on his grandson very much.Keep me posted please!
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Will do! The hours are counting down gradually. I don't know what the interview time is but once I receive any news on the outcome (hopefully it will be good) I shall let everyone know.
I hope that thing will work itself out.I think everyone here has the same hopes.
@RawBill1 (8541)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I am glad to see that I am not the only male in this world who does the ironing! I am sure that I do not do it with the same type of military precision as your dad though. No time for that! I saw your other discussion about Tom going for an interview and at that time I had no idea what Pleasure Beach was....but now I do! I was watching the football (Aussie stuff) the other night and in between quarters I was flicking over to a travel show where this guy was travelling up the coast of England. I found it really interesting so I ended up watching that instead. (as my team was getting beaten quite badly) Anyway, they ended up in Blackpool after going through various seaside towns and they were saying tat Blackpool is the only town on the English coastline that has remained a tourist mecca throughout the years. Most other towns have dwindled away to not much or are only new to the tourist market. So they went into a fair bit of the history of Pleasure Beach and how the town has maintained itself over that time. It was really interesting. That amusement park looks massive!
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Was it the programme "Coast" you were watching? It sounds like it to me as I think I saw the particular episode you mention. You're right, the Pleasure Beach is indeed massive (founded in 1896 would your believe) and there is a combination of old and new rides on the site. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_One_%28roller_coaster%29 Interestingly, the Big One was created AROUND the existing rides. All very clever stuff..and I've been on it, of course. Whenever John takes me to Blackpool I try to persuade him to go on it but I never get anywhere. Shame! Perhaps Tom could get us discounted tickets if he gets his job there tomorrow!
@RawBill1 (8541)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I think it might have been called that. They started in Anglesea I think and visited an interesting little harbour on an island with an old mine, Rhyll, Liverpool and some other places. Narrated by a Scottish fellow I think he was. They visited an old soap factory as well and they demonstrated how good the Sunbeam palm oil soap was. It is interesting when rides intertwine around each other. We have one roller coaster here that goes around water slides in the adjacent water park. The roller coaster on Santa Monica Pier which we visited last month also does a similar thing. The BIG ONE does look pretty impressive though! Yes, discount tickets will be a certain. We have always had friends who work at theme parks here so we usually never pay full price. We used to go to one for free when my wife worked there.
@BarBaraPrz (21092)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Yup! He's just gotta get the job now.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
He doesn't smoke either. Mum told him "to tell the interviewers" and when Tom asked "why" she said, "Well, you won't be going off every 5 minutes for a f*g break will you?" Mum smokes by the way.
@BarBaraPrz (21092)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Good advice, actually.
That is a very loving thing to do. I used to enjoy ironing, but I never do it now. Some studies indicate that mindless repetitive activities do seem to calm and keep blood pressure low, etc. I am still thinking good thoughts for Tom, and I am sure with him knowing that the whole family is behind him cheering will make a good difference in his confidence.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
It's amazing how he can affect our moods as well (Tom I mean). He's so upbeat all the time which is why I feel this job is extremely important. Yes, he will be gutted if he doesn't get in but - if he's like me for example, he'll dust himself off and start all over again. Hope he doesn't have to do that though. Opportunities like these don't come around too often. Many thanks for your good thoughts...I'm doing exactly the same thing.
@francesca5 (1344)
i think its lovely, and i bet your mother loves your father doing his own ironing, unless of course she feels like her power base is threatened, but i am sure she doesn't. this discussion is very interesting to read, i am not fond of ironing myself, and it is good to learn that there are men out they who would hate to be denied the opportunity to do their own. and hopefully the interview will go well, as apart from anything else,for tom knowing he has all this support must give him confidence.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
It helps that he only lives round the corner with his Dad so he doesn't have to travel in order to see his Nana and Grandad. Their support for him is immense and I try to send positive vibes, even though I'm 100 miles away.
@laydee (12813)
Hehehe.. That's just amazing. While reading your post, I couldn't help but be reminded of one of my Professors in my Master's. After the semester, the atmosphere was rather informal (because of papers dues coming, we no longer need additional stress!) So he began to talk about his life and one of the things that he doesn't let anyone do for him is the ironing. He didn't like the way his wife ironed his clothes, neither does he like how the house help does it either. So, all his clothes he irons - he says he wants it done right and it "relaxes" him. I guess we have different pleasures in life and there are some people (mostly older men) who find ironing relaxing. Honestly, I don't find ironing relaxing. It's one of the few things that I hate doing. But since we have to, then the complaints go on deaf ears. hehehee.. It's good that your dad is helping the grandson in pressing his clothes. I bet he would be proud wearing them and I bet your father would be proud seeing is work as well. I hope your son gets the job! Have a great MyLot experience ahead!
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Oh my, he doesn't iron ALL his grandson's clothes, he'd be there all day lol. No..it's sweet that my Dad is doing this for his grandson as the fact he's ironing just the one garment says it all really..and I find it a kind act.
@Kojigirl (188)
If he lived around here, I'd borrow your dad.
@fannitia (2170)
• Bulgaria
This is fantastic! I don't know a man who enjoys ironing. I have to confess that I hate to do this. Thanks God today most materials don't need ironing. I wish Tom a good luck with his perfect trousers!