tom got the job!!!

@Janey1966 (24126)
Carlisle, England
WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!! For anyone who has sent positive vibes (and yes, I did pray before going to sleep last night) many, MANY thanks! Oh my, I'm so excited for him. I've just spoken to him over the 'phone actually and it was lovely listening to his upbeat voice..it's even more "upbeat" now and he told me it's the first interview he's ever had. Awww! Apparently, at one point the group of 10 he was in were told to "take a break" and 6 of them went out for a smoke. Those 6 didn't get a job but the 4 left (including Tom, who doesn't smoke) got in! There may be one of the smokers that got a job, Tom's not sure but I suppose it's the Pleasure Beach's way of finding out who the smokers are without having to ask! I know the smokers out there will be a little peeved but there again, Tom was saying that one guy, when asked what he would do with an unsatisfied customer, carried on looking at his mobile phone and said, "Dunno!" So Tom knew he wouldn't get in. Tom said that he would talk to the customer in a calm manner "as no-one likes being shouted at and I would treat the person how I would want to be treated but if that didn't work and the person kicked off I'd call Security." Perfect! I'd have given him the job if he'd said that to me. I'm on such a high now, what with the in-laws being a pain over weekend. This has cheered me up more than I can say. He will be on £6.09 an hour. Some days will be busier than others so it's not a basic 37 hour a week job. Tom won't bother about that, though. Also, the season doesn't end until Remembrance Day which is 11th November. Told you the season was long! WOOOOOHOOOOO!!
@BarBaraPrz (21092)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
And all because granddad ironed his pants... Seriously though, that is good news.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Haha! Yes it is isn't it? After the tense weekend I've had it's nice to hear about something positive for a change...especially on my side of the family lol.
@BarBaraPrz (21092)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
And if he does a good job, they might call him back next season.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Yes, I've just been discussing that very same thing with Mum during our Tuesday night 'phone conversation.
Hey, thanks for posting results so quickly.. So even though he has not had interviews in the past it sounds like he is pretty smart about how to behave during one. He was reasonable about how to deal with unhappy people, and anymore places do not want smokers. I do not know if that is fair, but it is better for employee health and it cuts down on all the extra breaks for a smoke. Good deal, that he got the job.
I'm glad to hear he got the job and is so happy about it. High five to you!
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
High five coming back! Thank you so much!
Hi janey am so glad he got the job congrats to Tom. With the economy here int the US as bad as it is, a job is a job and people take what they c an get and are glad as there are so many more out of work than there are jobs. My son has an almost full time job but not computer programming which is what he does but plain electronic repair at 15 an hour not 30 but he told me "Mom a job now is a job.Money rules." I just felt badly for him that with all his computer programming experienced hes back to starting wages but he is right of course. Money has to rule now.He was jobless for amost two years then networked and got this job via a friend he worked with years back.most every job he got was through networking. so m any p eople out of work never think to network by going t o friends and friends of friends telling everyone I am looking for a job doing such and such , tell me if you have any leads.It always works as friends help one another.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Funnily enough, despite Tom being sociable, it was the good old JobCentre that let him know that the Pleasure Beach were recruiting so it was all done via an application form picked up from them. The 20 words he had to write regarding WHY he thought he'd be good for the role has obviously helped him..with a little help from me and Mum. We thought of his personality and went from there really, concentrating on his social aspects and friendly nature. His friend didn't get in because - as Tom put it, "he's not sociable enough, he's too quiet." At the moment, this friend of his is pot-washing and hates it but Tom said he's had about 10 jobs up to now and has hated all of them. The only job Tom has had (apart from the tradesmen apprenticeship that folded due to government cash being withdrawn) was an awful job in a laundry that cleaned all of Blackpool's hotel sheets, etc, every day. He would still be working there if it weren't for the people employed there now who don't even speak any English and are working for less money. Tom would be the ONLY person in there who spoke English. Could you imagine how lonely he would be in a world where he'd be the outsider? Not for him, I'm afraid. £6.09 (I think) is the minimum wage at the Pleasure Beach but - like your son said, money is money and the job actually SUITS his personality. Let's face it, he's never going to be a brain surgeon but I know he's going to have so much fun at the Pleasure Beach..and if you can't have fun when you're 22 you might as well curl up and die.
I am so delighted at the news!He finally gets the job.When will he go to work ? I am surprised smokers don't go down well with the Pleasure Beach. Fortunately,Tom didn't smoke at that point.Good for Tom,he answered their question so well.It reminds me of your motto that I saw on your mylot profile."Do as you would be done by".I guess you frequently teach Tom how to conduct himself on ordinary days.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Many thanks for your kind words. Actually, Tom instinctively knows what to say and do as he's always surrounded himself with people he wants to hang around with and he does have a large circle of friends so isn't reliant on one friend as I tended to be (which is why I have no friends now) and he started work today in fact. His Induction as they call it. No doubt Mum will tell me all about it on Friday night when I ring her.
"A man is known by the company he keeps."Tom surely has many good friends.It is great Tom has gone to work.He has opened up a new chapter of his life.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
He certainly has and he'll have so much fun too, I'm sure of that.
@inertia4 (27784)
That is great news. I knew he would get the job. Now maybe your luck will change as well. Things do get better I am sure of it. But unfortunately it takes time.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Four years without a job come September..but I try not to think about it too much.
@inertia4 (27784)
I know the feeling, believe me. It is not a good feeling and I know for myself at least, I feel less of a person as a result. But I try not to think about it either. I just try and survive.
@sylvia13 (1851)
• Nelson Bay, Australia
Do congratulate Tom on getting his job, as that is not so easy to do these days! Tell him that I hope he enjoys it, but he must try as hard as he can!
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
I congratulated him over the telephone the other day and I've yet to find out how his induction went on Thursday and his first day of the actual job on Saturday. No doubt he will let his Nan know how he got on. He had very good instincts about who he should or should not hang around with so I'm confident he'll do OK. I will let you all know anyway.
@unique16 (1531)
I am glad Tom got the job too. No job is every easy to get no matter what pay scale. I am glad it is a long one for him and for you. You both sound really happy and have a good relationship which is cool. You kept your witts about him and kept boosting his morale and it payed off. You are exactly what he needs when he is down. Thanks for sharing this good news. We do not always get news it usually always bad news. Thanks Uniqueq16
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Yes, I like sharing good news far better than the bad. Anything to keep our spirits up my friend.
@RawBill1 (8541)
• Gold Coast, Australia
That is great news. Now I will have to come and visit you to score some discounted tickets! So what happens in the winter when the season ends? Does the park shut it's doors or just downsize the staff?
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Well, the Loomies (Illuminations) extend the season greatly in Blackpool and people have been known to visit when the Loomies are on, even if it's just for a day. That means, it's a major money-spinner for the Pleasure Beach, therefore the season will not finish until Remembrance Day, which is 11th November. Also, new trams have been rolled out (I've been on one, they're awesome) and that will attract more visitors as you'd be surprised at how many Tram-Heads we have in this country! I did know someone who worked in the offices at the Pleasure Beach and I knew someone else who maintained the rides. Now, the latter would be the more likely for Tom, especially if someone trained him up on what to look for in a ride that keeps breaking down (normally the Octopus) lol. I honestly believe Tom will fit in very well into the sociable aspect of the Pleasure Beach. I advised him not to agree to being the Beaver Mascot though as a documentary proved it gets its tail trodden on and is bullied constantly by the kids. Hopefully, the Beaver is no more but if it is Tom will have fun watching it trying to get around the complex without incident! As for tickets..he said, "maybe" but that was just for me lol.
That is great that Tom got the job. I know it is hard to find work anywhere. randy and I have been out of work since September and it has been hard. We ended up living with my parents and it has been stressful. My mother has been pestering me to look for work and hire a nurse to take care of randy, but I refuse to do that because I want to be the one to care for him. I told my mom that randy and I already do more than our fair share, we buy food for the family and I also pay the heat bill. We also drive my brother around and gas does cost money. I hope everything works out well for Tom and for you.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
It would be my idea of hell living with the in-laws and I don't think it's right that your own mother should pester you to find work. If I were in your shoes I'd have the same attitude as your good self. I take it you would prefer to find a job when your child is older? Is Randy finding it difficult to find work? I reckon it's harder for men to find work worldwide which is the reason why I was so ecstatic that Tom had finally found something after a long time jobless. I wish you both well.
@fannitia (2170)
• Bulgaria
Congrats, Janey, what a good news! Yes, I think that there were a lot of vibes and this is a proof that the positive energy has a power. I know that one man is especially proud of his grandson - your father that had ironed his trousers! I wish you a good feats and a beautiful summer.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Awww, thank you. I wish for a beautiful summer too..it's a bit dreary at the moment. If the sun is shining more people will go on the Pleasure Beach and Tom will work more hours on the rides..so here's hoping my friend!
@p1kef1sh (45640)
That's great news. Well done Tom and well done to his supprters too.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Brilliant isn't it? If you met him you'd like him, he has that effect on people.