Do you think there should be vegetable and nonvegetable label on food items?

@ajithlal (14569)
Some food items like cakes might contain nonvegetables. Do you think there should be vegetable and nonvegetable label on food items?
@deebomb (15348)
Hello ajithlal. Why would there be a need to label a food vegetable or none vegetable. None vegetable or animal and have a face and can walk around. Vegetables grow in one place and cannot move by them selves. As for cakes having animal products in them it might be lard. I don't believe that lard is used in most baked goods today. Most baked goods are made from some kind of grain and not really a vegetable or animal.
• Marion, Kansas
I think there are people who would not want to eat eggs, often used in cake, or butter or sour cream. Anyway, that is what I make of it.
@ajithlal (14569)
I also think some cakes have eggs in it and some of them has labels and some of them does not have.
@deebomb (15348)
You are right Gerty. I don't do cakes very often so I forgot about eggs sour cream and butter. I just wish the ingredients were listed as we would really understand them.I bought a simple cake mix to0day that has over 10 ingredients t ha t I cant even pronounce let alone now what they are. I really should make the cake from scratch then I would know what is in the cake.
I have never eaten a cake with veggies on it so,no I don't think there needs to be a lable for me.
@ajithlal (14569)
I think most probably they might be cakes made of veggies.
@lynboobsy11 (11347)
yhea like carrot cake..
@ajithlal (14569)
I think fruits cakes are very tasty.
• Marion, Kansas
If a community has a large vegan population there might be a reason to do that, but otherwise, people can just read the labels. Many things are labeled Kosher or not.
@ajithlal (14569)
I also agree that when there is label most people can know that the content in the food.
honestly it doesnt really bother me either way but soon i will be actually looking at the ingrediants that are in certain things because i will be trying to get my family eating healthier but i will say that it would make things wasier for everyone to be able to see what is or isnt in the food that you are buying. i know it would make it easier on the vegitarians....
@ajithlal (14569)
It is always good to look at the ingrediants before buying things. I think I will also look for ingrediants in the future.
• Mexico
Hi ajithlal: I don't think so because there are too many products that have a non vegetable item like cheese for example. It's your responsibility as vegan to chose were to buy and I think it's easier to go to the specialized shops and restaurants that will bring you the products for your requirements because we are talking about a very special need being vegetarian, I don't think you'll find the right service on an average supermarket. ALVARO
@Mashnn (4505)
Most food comes with labels but I have not seen one that has vegetable and non vegetable ingredients separated. I think the best thing is to go for food which seems to have high non-fat products as part of the ingredients.
There is usually a list of ingredients. Sometimes in perentheses they will give you a little information on what the larger/longer words are. I think there should be more info. SOme labels are really good and others aren't. It would be good if there were more laws. We have gotten some changes made but obviously not enough.
@yanzalong (5185)
Yes, the label usually says what extract of vegetable they have included as ingredients. But I am not sure of its quality of the extract.
Well, i don't know maybe there is but maybe on the ingredients they put in it. But i am not sure all food we eat i think there is level or etc.