How to tell a story to your daughter which is real?

Its been almost three years of being a single mom.How can I explain to my only child the situation of her father? Where in fact I myself haven't accept yet the incident. My daughter only knows that his father is working. But she don't know that his father is no longer coming back.
@sid556 (31005)
Hi Daisy, Welcome to Mylot! I am sorry to hear about your child's father. What happened? How old is your daughter? I don't think it is a good idea to lie to a child about these things but how much of the truth you choose to reveal to her would depend on her age. The person that advised you to talk to a child specialist gave good advise, I think. Even her pediatrician could possibly give you some advise on how to tell her the truth and at what age would be appropriate.
Shes almost 3y.o...My husband has been missing in a ship for almost 2 yrs. And there was no concrete evidence of what really happened. Thank you for the advice.
@sid556 (31005)
Oh I am so sorry to hear that. No wonder you are having trouble finding closure yourself even after 3 yrs! I can't even imagine how hard that must be for you. Your daughter does need to know the truth but honestly, you don't even know the truth. She is so young that I think for now, I would continue with telling her that he is away working. I would also suggest talking to someone professional as to how to best handle this. I am so sorry that this has happened to you.
She is too young to understand right now. I would not eve worry about it until she is a bit older. I forgot when I told my daughter but it as not at three.
It made me always cry when I heard my daughter telling me that his father will be coming soon.
@obe212003 (2302)
Basically this is a very delicate/sensitive issue, and should be dealt with caution as it might cause traumatic issues on your child. Probably consulting a child psychologist would do much help. If you want to deal it on your own, then honesty would be the most sensible thing to do as it would only set things right for her to fully understand the situation instead of keeping her at bay with regards to someone who is not really coming back.