Raising a Siberian Husky is animal cruelty!

By Toni
A weatherman and a famous tv host in our country told one of his followers on twitter that raising a siberian husky in our country is animal cruelty. He did so without explaining his side and that cause some disagreements among the people. What he meant was in this humid country of ours, to raise a dog like that would make him suffer instead of enjoy its life. But does it really constitute animal cruelty? What do you think?
well why? because it has a lot of fur? lots of dogs have lots of fur! thats like saying it's wrong to raise a shih-tzu, or a bichon frise.. sure they have lots of hair! thats silly..
I love bichon frise. I've been looking for one for 4 years now in our area but nobody's raising it here.
bichon frise - frosty looked just like this.. i have a picture of him somewhere, but can't find it
aww we used to have one. his name was frosty :)
So cute! Someday i swear i'm gonna have that doggie as a part of my family.
@almond24 (1250)
• Hungary
I think keeping a siberian husky anywhere is "cruelty" if the owner doesn't give him enough space and chance to be active. Otherwise I don't see why it wold be cruel, but it's fact that the husky has a thick fur and would suffer in hot climate. I guess it would be necessary to shave or trim his hair short.
That i must agree. But for those keeping a husky a a show dog, i don't think cutting them down would be possible as their hair is important as a show dog.
@almond24 (1250)
• Hungary
I'm no sure it's a good idea to choose a husky as a show dog if they are not sure they can keep him healthy. But you could ask who cares about humans' health ...
@KrauseHome (34994)
Personally I know people who have raised or owned Dogs like this that would beg to differ and disagree with this. I am sure it would really depend on where you are raising them at, and what type of climate they are exposed too, but the ones I know who have owned them, they do make Great pets. But with any animal out there if you are not a Good pet owner than nothing would be good for you.
Responsible pet ownership i think also includes being sensitive to the needs of your pet. So if it can't thrive at a certain place well then i think it's better not to raise them there.
• Taiwan
If a dog is in a environment that it doesn't like, dog may feel uncomfortable during his life. But dogs are just like human, we can be used to many conditions, dogs can too. Despite this, I think we still should keep a local pet so that they can live longer.
Dogs are animals. They can survive in the wilds, it's their instinct but to keep them as pets, we are responsible for that.
@jazel_juan (15767)
hmmmm.. cruel - is very harsh word to use, maybe unfit i guess but not exactly cruel, unless those huskies live in airconditioned rooms.. I have seen one here in my city as well and i even got to touch the dog, it was gentle plus i love those eyes! makes me want to get one but hubby said they are really sensitive and maintenance is that high too
Under the definition of animal cruelty law, irresponsible ownership is already considered cruelty. To own an animal that you know will not thrive in such environment is considered cruelty. Thus the host termed it as one.
I don't think it constitues cruelty, but an owner must be aware of the risks, and be able to be an advocate for their dog and take care of it! Sometimes, that might mean if it is too hot, that the siberian husky gets shaved down for the summer from its 'normal' coat so it will be cooler. Also, the owner must be aware that this type of dog is used to working and has a lot of energy, so it must be walked, played with, and stimulated overall so it doesn't get bored.
True. In our country though it's summer all year long and if someone doesn't have enough financial resources to maintain the dog's necessity it's better not to raise that animal here. And nobody would want to see a cut down siberian husky all year long.
In my opinion, it does not go beyond animal cruelty just by raising a Siberian husky in your country. You can do a lot of ways to make the dog comfortable and hydrated. It may limit their play like shorter walks but you can improvise it by giving them walks at night with lots of stop over for drinks.