could it be that homemade soap..

I got out the shower about and hour ago. I used this new homemade soap I bought a while back. I am itching on my legs but no where else. I am wondering what could be the problem. I bathed with the bar everywhere and it shoud be itching e everywhere. I don't know what to do but scratch my legs. I grated up most of the soap tomake laundry soap a while back and nothing happened.
Oh no not you too! Seems like everyone is having allergic problems...including me! haha. Did you use more on your legs...like for shaving...than anywhere else? Could be why they are the most itchy. Could be also that you just have dry legs. Try putting lotion on and see if it helps.
I have lotion sitting right here i will do this. Thanks .
yes lotion will help you.Just dont scratch my friend it will be bad effect to your skin.
Do you shave your legs? If so your legs are more tender and a soap could make them itch. I would try putting lotion on them to ease the itch a bit. Some soaps actually make the skin dry and this causes them to itch. SO the lotion would help.
@ajithlal (14568)
I also think it might be because you might have shaved the leg and that your skin might be too much sensitive to the soap. Have you tried using the same soap before?
@laydee (12815)
You're using soap you could use for laundry as soap for your body? I don't think it's the soap, I think it's something else. Or else there would have been itchiness all over. But still, I think it's not best to use that soap again, maybe the first reaction is on the legs then with prolonged use, the other parts. Have a great MyLot experience ahead!
• Marion, Kansas
She adds a homemade soap to her laundry, but as I understand it it is a body soap.
@Loverbear (4929)
It is very likely that you are allergic to the soap. Since the legs are the most used part of our bodies we have a bigger blood flow into them. This would make the nerves more exposed and the chemical composition of the soap would be absorbed more there. I know with things like poison oak and other things I have allergic reactions to, it starts on my legs. The other thing is you probably rinsed the rest of your body more than your legs so more of the soap stayed on your legs. Also, when you were bathing with the new soap did you shave your legs? If so it opens the pores more and would allow more of the soap to seep into your legs and onto the nerves.
Gifts, rub some lotion on it when it itches. Your legs might be dry. It seems that you would be allergic all over if it were an allergy. I get itchy in my legs sometimes, but I think it is neuropathy... you may also have some neuropathy from a B-12 deficiency which is common with G-bypass recipients. I have to take B-12 every month. My symptoms started about 2 years after surgery. I also have back problems that causes foot pain and hip and back pain... but itching and stuff can be caused from peripheral nerve problems from a vitamin B deficiency.. could be b12 and other b vitamins. B12 needs to either be taken by injection or sublingual (under the tongue)... the oral types usually don't work in bypass patients.
@sedel1027 (17868)
Sounds like your skin is dry. Put on some non-scented, thick lotion and that should help.
If the only affected area is your legs then the itchiness might have been caused by something else. It can be caused by a number of reasons like the detergent of your clothes if they were not thoroughly washed, tight clothing or insect bites. Check for the characteristics of your rash like the color, the shape, if it is raised or not, and the presence of scales or pus so you can describe it better to a physician. You can alleviate the itchiness by putting cold compress on it if the area is warm. You may also want to apply over-the-counter topical solutions or take anti-histamine if the itchiness won"t go away.
@ajithlal (14568)
I think most probably you might be allergic to the soap. Some people are allergic to some things like soap. I would suggest you to change the soap and most probably you will be doing fine. I also think some home made soaps are very good while some are not.
@laken02 (3068)
you could just have dry skin on your legs , i imagine if it were the soap you would be itching all over, just get you a good lotion and rub on your legs and see if that helps.. i do that alot for mine and it works for me.. i get the kinds that says its for dry itchy skin.. but i guess any lotion would do, just keep using it.. for awhile..
@rekhum (2435)
I guess you have a dry skin which is causing the problem and not the soap. I'd avoid using the soap and try for moisturizing shower gel.
Wash again with some natural body wash--non-scented would probably be best. Then, use a good lotion on your legs. That should, hopefully, take care of the problem. If you can, you should track down a list of the ingredients that was used in the soap. An obvious culprit would be lye. However, there may be some other ingredient that dried out your skin and/or to which you are allergic.
@lynboobsy11 (11347)
It happened to me most of the time specially when it's summer and it is hot. But if I put some lotion the itch is gone. It is because our skin is too dry because of the weather.
@jinky2012 (438)
oh my gosh..Did not really experience that yet.But if do so, then i will have the lesson that every time i will buy it will be brand name.
• Marion, Kansas
Maybe you just did not get it all rinsed off. Did you happen to shave your legs? Try a good moisturizer, it sounds like really dry skin.
Did you shave your legs recently, or might they need shaving again? I choose not to shave my legs, but perhaps the fact that hair is growing there, or you may have shaved, may have opened something up, causing only your legs to react to the soap. That's all that I can think of.