School uniform bargain

Today after school was the school's annual spring fair. They had a second-hand school uniform stall, and I was looking for polo shirts for my son but there were none in his size. But I did manage to get him 3 pairs of shorts, so I don't have to rush to make sure there are a clean pair for him. And, I got 6 summer school dresses for my daughter, in the next size up, so I won't need to buy those next year, and she can use them in emergencies, if the washing machine isn't working or we run out of washing powder. On average, a new school dress costs between £8 and £12, just for one dress. I bought 6 dresses and the 3 pairs of shorts for a grand total of £6! All in good condition, nothing I would be ashamed to put them in.
That was one thing I hated to buy. I had to have one for every day of the week. I did not buy the uniform pants. I bought her kakhis in the school colors. I also went to the good will and bought her ralph lauren skirts in the school colors. I was never told anything. She looked like everyone else but was able to be different. I hate uniforms all though they save money.
This school is very strict on uniform. My son is not wearing the official school shirts, he has plain white polo shirts without the school logo, but on my budget, why would I pay £5.50 for a single shirt when I can get 5 without the logo for £7? Its just silly expecting parents who are struggling financially, to buy those things. The good news is, the summer fete is in 3 months and the lady running the used uniform stall is the mother of my son's friend. So she has said to let her know what we need and she will hold it back for me.
@roberten (3134)
More people should shop like this, it is good for the environment and economy to recycle, reuse and reduce. I love buying gently used clothing. I often need business and evening clothing for business and I find most of my wardrobe from thrift stores. Frugal spending allows me to look good while supporting a local charity and saving money by not buying similar items retail. Go going marianne87.
Fantastic bargain! My sister is very frustrated because my niece is still in high school (same one my girls attended)... and they've had a uniform for a couple of years now. This year, the school decided that, starting in September 2012, the girls will no longer be allowed to wear the uniform skirts. They either have to wear pants or the skorts. The reason is because the girls wouldn't stop rolling their skirts to make them shorter. So, my sister asked if there was going to be any kind of exchange, discount or compensation for the parents who have already spent a lot of money on clothes the kids will not be allowed to wear -- she was told no. They suggested maybe she could sell them privately but the school will provide no financial relief. Also, they've made a second decision that ALL clothing must now come from the uniform company -- no "outside" clothing, even the tshirts and such, will be permitted. Needless to say, parents are fuming because they've already spent money that they can't get back and they won't be able to save anything at all by shopping at department stores :((
I guess all they can do now is sell what they can on ebay or something. When I was in school a lot of girls would roll up their skirts, ridiculous really as it was an all girls school, who were they trying to impress?! Now my old school has long pleated skirts so they can't be rolled up.
Yep I guess she'll try to sell online because obviously no one my niece's age around here will be interested in buying -- there is only the one English high school and the French high school doesn't have uniforms :( I agree that the rolling of the skirts is ridiculous. They were allowed to choose from two styles - one pleated and one straight - and both were already above the knee... but that wasn't short enough and they kept rolling those waistbands. So now, they can't have skirts at all. Needless to say, there's a lot of unhappy girls and very frustrated parents.
Honestly, I have to say that the difference in price is the reason that I love to get things second-hand for my children when I am able to. You see, my son is going to be starting school in the fall and the public school that both of my children will go to require uniform, so I'm already trying to get started on getting uniform pieces for my son. It shouldn't be hard to find him some used clothes, but I suppose time will tell.
It just annoys me that even the shirts have to have the school logo on. We all know little boys plus white shirts equals disaster! I couldn't afford the official shirts, but nobody has mentioned it yet. I am hoping to get 2nd hand shirts for next year so he can have the official uniform and nobody will get annoyed about it.
That's a very good bargain you got. hehehe I assume that you are a mother and mothers should be wise and knows how to budget the expenses. It's hard because the expenses composed a lot of things. The electricity bill, water bill, food, and miscellaneous expenses.
@maximax8 (27048)
A few weeks ago I got a text message. It said it was a reminder about the second hand school uniform sale in the playground after school. I went along to it and found a school jumper and a gray pair of trousers. These have been washed and are ideal for my disabled son aged four years old. These cost one pound each and are in very good condition.