cpu upgrade, sandybridge vs ivybridge

Greece
I am currently using an core 2 duo e4600. Stock frequency is on 2.4ghz, however I gave it a little boost by overclocking it on 2.8ghz. Didnt want to push it too much since I am using the stock cooler. My question is if anyone knows wether intel is going to drop their sandybridge processors prices, now that ivybridge are about to be released. Specifically, I am interested on the core i5 2500K or the new core i5 3570K. Does anyone know if 2500k price will drop when 3570K gets released. OR is it worthy to just put in a few extra bucks and go for the 3570K anyway? There should be a little more than a 10% speed in most applications. At least that's what first benchmarks indicate.
@jjzone44 (917)
It's hard to say if there will be a significant price drop on the Sandys, and waiting for it may only get the processor closer to being an obsolete part. When I built my C2D system a couple of years ago I heard rumors of a price drop, so I waited a bit and it never materialized. When I built this machine in December, I just bought an 8 core processor that was one step lower than the highest at the time. What makes it hard to determine is what the PC market is going to do. They generally price the processors in blocks of 1000, and if there is still a strong demand for the Sandys, it's hard to justify a price drop. The 2500k is a really good processor, and it probably will enjoy brisk sales for a while. Now as to if you go 2500 or 3570, one thing to consider is your graphics. On the integrated graphics benchmarks, the Ivy is between 20-50% faster than a Sandy, but if you are using a separate video card, that won't really matter.
• Greece
First of all thank you for your opninion and the answer. Yeah I guess there are many factors that determine a price drop. Regarding the video card, I would be definetely using a seperate one. I got a radeon hd 5770 at the moment, which even though is not the most modern piece of equipment, I am sure still works better than intel's internal graphics. I guess i'll wait for some benchmarks between the two processors to get released, that show their speed with a seperate video card.
@jjzone44 (917)
You're welcome. The Ivys do have a few other features and instructions that the Sandys don't, so check if those features are something that you might use. And I would definitely think your 5770 is way better than any integrated graphics solution. I only have a 6770 in the machine I built in Dec 2011. I'm not a big gamer but I do a lot of image editing, that's why I wanted the 8 core processor and a decent video card. One final thing to check is your motherboard, unless you are upgrading that too. The LGA 1155 fits Sandys and Ivys, but you may need a BIOS update for your board to recognize Ivys, so you want to make sure the manufacturer of the board has released one for your board.
• Greece
Yeah. I 'd prefer to go with a completely new motherboard, probably one designed for ivybridge processors. As well as a new cooling system, so that I can start experimenting with overclocking a bit. Cause i wanna go with some applications that require a LOT of cpu power.