How can I make my bed comfier to lay in?

I have a problem! My mattress is very hard and I can't buy a new one because it's a rented apartment and they wouldn't be willing to replace it. Through the winter, I put a standard duvet on the bed to sleep on top on, with another duvet on top for the comfort/warmth. It was amazing until now - it's starting to warm up a bit. I have tried a standard mattress protector on the bed to try and make it softer, but it doesn't really work. Any suggestions would be very helpful!
• Marion, Kansas
In the summer that would be way too hot. You can find memory foam toppers at most mass merchant stores. I do not know what they cost, but it would be less than a new mattress and if you ever left that apartment you would be able to take it with you. An even less expensive option is called an egg crate topper. It is foam as well and is supposed to be cooler because it has dents in it like an egg crate. Those are usually about twenty dollars for a twin size one. Oh, the real name is convoluted mattress pad if you wanted to look online.
• Marion, Kansas
Yes, the memory foam anything is quite expensive. My experience with them is that they are not that big of an improvement, and I certainly do not like the memory foam pillows. The other is so reasonable, and you can just get a new one when it gets old. They use them a lot in long term care homes to help prevent bed sores.
I had a memory foam pillow once too - how uncomfortable are they?! I don't see how people can sleep like that! Thanks so much for the advice :)