I'm not vegetarian but just wondering is a vegetarian diet a healthy way to eat?

@sirnose (2440)
I'm trying to find a new diet and was just wondering is a vegan diet a better way to go. I've been a meat and potato person all my life. But, its time to try something new, I'm just tire of my old diet.
I myself believe that the healthiest way to eat is to have a well balanced meat. And you don´t have to get tires of eating the same thing. I´m sure I could make 365 different menus so that I did not have to eat the same thing a single day of the year. Now internet helps a lot. You don´t have to buy a cookbook to get a recipe. You just search potatoes+maindish or mashed potatoes recipe or whatever. They have lots of dishes with pictures and explanations.
@sirnose (2440)
I always been a meat and potato person but as I age, I see that I need a new type of diet. I'm really tire of the diet that I'm eating now. It's not the same foods but I need to eat a little more healthy. Most meats that I grew up with just don't taste the same. I just need a new taste in my life.
@Cranos (273)
• Belgium
Well first of all there's a big difference between vegan and vegetarian. Vegetarians might not eat meat, but they still consume animal products like milk or eggs. Vegans, on the other hand, buy nothing that comes from animals. A vegetarian diet is most certainly healthy for a normal person. There's a lot of fat and cholesterol in meat, and quite frankly here in western society we consume way more of it than we need to. A vegan diet is a bit more difficult however, with that you really need to make sure you get the necessary iron and protein.
@sirnose (2440)
Thanks for clearing up the different between the to diets. I read a little about it but some use the terms interchangeably. Yes, there are health concern with an all meat diet, this is the reason that I want to change my diet.
@stanley777 (7177)
Maybe you should try it. but i think having a balanced meals the best way.. Just have more veggies and fruits to eat and just a bit of the carbs and fatty food. You need all of them to stay healthy and not just veggies.
• Southend-On-Sea, England
It's healthy so long as you eat a wide variety of fruit & vegetables regularly, and remember to daily include vegetable protein into your diet - such as pulses/lentils. I've been through vegetarian phases in my life and during those phases, have never felt better. Whenever I've gone back to being a carnivore, I've always started to feel sluggish and lacking in energy.
@deebomb (15322)
Hello sirnose. I find that as I get older I don't like as much meat as I did when I was younger. I'd think that going vegetarian is a healthy way to go. Oe still has to be sure to eat the foods that provide the minerals and vitamins that our body needs. The web site "The Worlds Healthiest foods" gives a very good breakdown as to what is in each food as well as recipes. I love this sire as it gives so much information about foods and their best uses as the foods health benefits as well as a description of the foods. http://www.whfoods.com/
Well there's solid evidence to back up that vegans and vegetarians have a drastically lower rate of heart disease and obesity. Probably because they're not consuming the cholesterol-filled fatty meats. Of course, with all diets, there's a way to do it wrong so that you're not getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. Protein actually isn't as hard to obtain from plants as iron and B12 are. I'm a vegetarian personally, and largely very healthy and fit. I don't think I could ever be a vegan though. I still eat lots of eggs and dairy products, and I'm not sure how I would eat if I took them out of my diet.