How would you solve a problem with too many Prairie Dogs?

I was listening to the news this morning and heard about an overwhelming problem with too many Prairie Dogs in a town called Paragonah, Utah. Prairie Dogs can be cute but they can also be a problem when there are too many. Prairie Dogs look a lot like a gopher. First of all, Prairie Dogs are listed on the endangered species list. I guess that's the governments way of protecting them; however, there is now an over population of these little critters. Lately, in the town of Paragonah, these animals have taken over and are causing havoc. They can chew through anything and they've taken over the City cemetary where they dug down to the place where they have now invaded the coffins of deceased people in the cemetary. They are also digging big holes under the airport runway so if an airplane lands there is a possibility that the runway could collapse and cause the airplane to crash. The Mayor in Paragonah is trying to change the law so they can do something about these problems. What would you do if you lived there and you could do something?
@palonghorn (5485)
First off, I'm not sure why the are on the endangered list, there are way too many of them. Many farmers and ranchers shoot em down here, their holes have caused loss of livestock due to broken legs, they invade wherever they are allowed too. You can't contain them unless they are in a zoo, a place set up to keep them contained. Seems to me they need to start hunting them up there, with all the damage they are doing.
I believe there on the endangered list because there was a time when the concern was that they might become extinct. The law should really be updated. The question should be whether or not people are silly enough to conform. Sometimes it is important to take issues like this into our own hands even if we end up doing it UNDER THE TABLE. If they were almost extinct or if there are too many...we're dealing with an imbalance in nature...and it's important to bring population into balance.
@peavey (16866)
If I could do something, I'd get the law changed. But until then, I'd declare an unofficial open season on them. They are rodents (like mice and rats) and their numbers increase quickly regardless of where they are. I don't know when or how they were ever classified as protected. In many western states, ranchers used to (I don't know if they still do) allow people to practice target shooting at prairie dogs because there were so many of them.
If i want to do simple, i will relase them to forest
@NailTech (6890)
Wow, that is a huge problem. They are a nuisance, for digging all that up. The remains of the bodies can't even rest in peace in their coffins and the airport collapsing doesn't sound good. I hope they can construct some ideas on how to eleviate this problem. I have found the groundhogs here doing some damage more than usual as well, and I was told they breed like rabbits. I cannot even grow anything here worth eating, they eat it up on me, including the flowers as well. Some of them they leave, but the vegetables they truly destroy. It's heartbreaking.