Fixing things i break.

@saundyl (9690)
Over the past two years I have noticed that I am so much more likely to try to fix something myself before i go running to someone else to get something fixed It pleases me to no end that i know i am capable now of attaching a power plug to the end of the extension cord i just mowed, replacing glass in the storm window, gluing the edging of the counter back on. I used to just go running to my daddy and ask him to fix things. But now with him gone...I'm so much more independent and braver about trying something on my own. I even tried caulking my bathtub myself! (ok that had to all be taken out and redone because granddad told me i didnt do it right but at least I learnt how to do it right when he showed me afterwards.) This past weekend i did an oil change on my roto tiller myself...and roto tilled my flowerbeds. Being able to see the work I've done is VERY satisfying. Do you get others to fix things for you or try it yourself first?
@bjc66bjc (6745)
Hi saundyl, I have alway been an independent person..I have great desires to try to fix any and everything except electrical issues. Electrical task I definately don't perpetrate ..I sm not going there.... But almost every other task I will attempt...and like you said it is very satisfiable to accomplish these task on your own,,
@saundyl (9690)
Thats awesome. So something like a power cord thats broken you wont touch? I get worried about electrical in the house - breaker boxes and such and then i just go to the professionals. Some things like the hot water heater i wasnt even capable of undoing the tightness of the element to remove so i had to as my uncle to do it for me recently to change it.
• Marion, Kansas
I do painting and trim stuff and sewing and furniture refinishing, or at least I used to. Need to get some done. I like to make curtains for the rooms.
@saundyl (9690)
I love sewing - i make quilts alot. I love painting even though i'm the one that tends to make the mess of the wall and someone else comes along and fixes it.
Ah, not me i am not so good at fixing things i usually run to other people for help.
@saundyl (9690)
Do you find they get fixed fairly quickly or you end up waiting?
I end up waiting most of the time.
@saundyl (9690)
I hate waiting..sometimes it takes forever... The glass window i replaced last month...actually was broken for about 3 years before i finally figured out how to take it out myself...I asked my dad to fix it for me after a bird flew into it (it was open) trying to get the dog food under it. He said he would and never got around to it. After he passed away I didnt know who to ask. Granddad said we couldnt take the frame off the window to do it.
• Marion, Kansas
I have gotten very dependent since this marriage. I used to fix more things. I need to get busy doing things myself again.
@saundyl (9690)
I didnt realize how dependent i really was on my dad to fix things for me. And such little things too.
• Marion, Kansas
I am dependent right now even on fueling the car. Hubby does all of that, but he has an additive he puts in and very precise notes he takes. For years I kept everything fueled and checked the fluids on my cars and on buses as well. I have turned into a wimp.
@saundyl (9690)
Oh not a wimp! From the sounds of it he likes it done a certain way...and enjoys it so its not bad to let him do it! My granddad was sad tonight - mom said oh please check saundy's rototiller's oil and such make sure its working for her....and I said but he showed me how last year...and i did it on sunday. He looked sad it was already done but he said he was proud of me for doing it myself.
If I find something broken I just used to see the what happen to the. If I find that it is easy to repair then I will do the job but I don't repair high priced things like TV, radio and other things becuase I don't know anything about it but i can repair an computer becuase I know little bit about them.
@saundyl (9690)
I try...with radios etc but i figure theres no one in this area that repairs that kind of thing...i cant make it any worse becsaue if i dont fix it i still cant use it. computers well I'm a pc tech so i better be able to do something about those!
Sadly I wasn't raised in a fix-it type family. It was call so and so or just buy another. My Mother used to pay a neighbor kid to change the wiper blades on her car for goodness sakes. So having my own house I've felt like a goof because i was not taught to be self reliant in fixing things nor do I even know what to do about alot of things. Thankfully I have a hubby who's pretty good at getting things figured, it's when he can't figure it out that we're in trouble!
@saundyl (9690)
Oh wow...I've tried to change my wiper blades myself - everytime i try i must look pretty pathetic because some wonderful man at a gas station always offers to do it for me! (not the same man either) I found a book at the library the other day called chix can fix. So enjoying it! My dad was a big "dont throw that out i can fix it later" kinda guy, and kind of a hoarder in that respect LOL. He had a fit when i had my first garage sale it was "you might need it later what are you doing???"
hi saundyl since I live in a retirement center now I h ve very little to need to fix myself as they do it all here but of course not my computer. I always just threw up my hands and let my son fix my computer but I have learned how to reset the modem and router when the power goes off and a few other simpler things but in re to not screwing things up totally I do send for him for bigger problems as he did that for a livelihood he is now back to repairing electronic on exercise machines which he did to start out with but advanced to computer programmer bu t this ugly economy has made him have to take the job he could get. anyway he still has all the expertise so I send for him on weekends to help me but I have learned to do some things for myself and its a good feeling indeed. oh yes other things I do for my self that my hubby or my son did for me and it makes me feel good
@saundyl (9690)
That sucks that he had to take a different job than what he's trained for. On the plus side :) he's not unemployed like so many out there (which is sad!) Its awesome to be able to have people to help out...and to be able to do things for yourself.