Do people buy/use "fine china" or real "silverware" anymore??

My mother in law insists that we all get some fine china at some point. But what for? She inherited her mother's fine china. I remember father in law used to pull them out during holiday meals - it was rimmed with real gold. And he would polish the silverware as it would be tarnished. They were very proud of their expensive dishes and silverware. My parents received a fine china set for their wedding - and we used them occasionally. Both sets of parents lost much of their fine china in a major earthquake . . . my inlaws were devastated, but my parents weren't attached to their dishes (perhaps that's why I have this attitude?). At my sister in law's housewarming, my MIL said she would go shopping with her to get some china - and SIL didn't seem interested. I remember she told us once too - but I was thinking why spend tons of money on dishes that would barely be used - it takes up space to keep such a set too! Perhaps back in the older generation, having fine china was a must - or at least desirable. I don't see any of my friends using them, if they have them - nor have any couples asked for any on their wedding gift wish list. I walk through department stores and see those fancy dish sets . . . and wonder if people really buy this stuff (as patterns seem to be updated every season/year). I think this generation (or at least the people around me) are more about practicality and an everyday style that suits their taste. What do you say about fine china or silverware?
Times have changed.what was quite fashionable is no longer in vogue now. Most of your in laws' generation are proud of their fine china and silverware.However today It would make people laugh their heads off if some use china or silverware as wedding gift.Over here the reason why the older generation like the silverware is that they believe that the silverware can be used to test food for poison.It is said that the silverware such as chopsticks may turn black fast if there is poison in food.I don't think that has scientific basis.
Wow - I've never heard that before - about it being a test for poison!! I would that that old china might have poison in the dish itself (lead - whether in the clay or paint for decoration). True, that having such fine chine and silverware is no longer fashionable . . . and it seems to be such a big waste of money.
Our tableware is mostly china.We usually use blue and white porcelain which hardly has poison such as lead in it.I like using porcelain cup for making tea,which has a distinctive flavour.
I'm not sure what our tableware is . . . some type of glass product I think. I have a bunch of different Japanese porcelain - but nothing that I would call a set. Yah, I love drink tea in proper tea cups!
@KrauseHome (35522)
Personally I think it depends on the person, and if you would do enough entertaining to want to really have something like that in your place. I know personally there have been times I would Love to have a nicer set of dishes for certain guests if they ever come over, but then I would need an extra place to keep them. But like I said it would be individual tastes, but I think anymore there are more not wanting to do this compared to the older generations for sure.
That's true. We certainly don't do a whole lot of entertaining (yet), so the "need" isn't there for us. The two sets of dishes that we have are those white corningware ones, or this glass set . . . both quite plain jane - but at least I can make them go with any table decor if we do have guests over. And we use them everyday - so in any case, these dish sets are no biggie - very practical for me!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
the good silverware and china comes out some years for Thanksgiving and Christmas...
Wow, Dawn! You've got the real deal, eh? Do you have a china cabinet to go with that too? Since we're in the midst of unpacking, the plasticware and paper plates are "good" for us - ha ha!!
@bounce58 (17524)
I guess you're right that in older generations, having fine china was a must. I remember having a set, and seeing it in a cabinet while I was growing up. My mom would take it out for special occasions. I think it isn't practical anymore. Specially when you can buy relatively cheaper ones which you can use everyday. And having them 'cheap' also helps make us not get too attached to it.
My parents never had a china cabinet, but my in laws have two of them. I guess displaying china was also part of it . . . to add to the dining room decor maybe? And you're right it's not practical . . . many of the older ones you can't just pop them in the dishwasher or throw in the microwave . . . too much work - not to mention you get too cautious because you don't want to break or chip them. The cheaper ones - eh - you want to take care of them but you don't feel like you're eating or washing eggshells! And when you have kids, practicality is everything!!
@ladym33 (11008)
I had a set of fine china when I got married after about 10 years of marriage I sold it at a garage sale. I found I only used it once a year if that and it was just taking up a lot of precious space. Honestly on the holidays I just really prefer to use nice paper plates. After cooking all day long the last thing I want to do is wash a lot of dishes particularly ones that I have to be extremely careful with. My holiday guests have been eating off of paper plates for many years now and no one has ever complained even my husband's 90 year old grandmother.
Ha ha - we use paper plates at my parents house these days too! It is a pain to have to wash all those fancy dishes anymore - let alone nice, fragile dishes! It's not like you can toss the fine china into a dishwasher. Eat and toss - that's seriously the way to go - ha ha!
@TrvlArrngr (4058)
I have silver and china. I started using them everyday about 2 years ago. no sense in storing it and only using it once or twice a year.
Wow - so you use the silver everyday too? How do you handle the tarnishing? Glad you are making use of your china too - yes, it's a shame to let dishes just sit there.