May have a new job

Not a full time job, just on an as-required basis. My daughter's Godparents are friends with a couple who have 2 little boys, aged 2 years and 9 months. The father works and the mother is at home all day with their boys, and says she can never get anything done. She would like me to come round maybe once or twice a week, for 2 hours, and take care of the little ones while she does her housework. They also require the occasional evening babysitter so they can go out together without the children. I met them today, and played with the children, who are very sweet and seemed to like me, they gave me hugs and kisses when I was leaving. I think it went well. The parents asked how much I would want paying, and I really have no idea. I am thinking maybe £5 per hour, as that's what I used to pay the 16 year old who babysat for us when we only had one baby. Plus the cost of transport home if I have to travel after dark (its a 15 minute walk through a rough area of town). My partner says this is too cheap, I know a lot of people charge more if there is more than one child, but the way I see it, the more kids someone has, the less money they have to spare. And I need the money, so I'm happy to take what's offered.
@rosegardens (3044)
I would ask them what they feel the job is worth, and also if they had other sitters before, what did they pay them. Five is pretty cheap for that. If that is what you are willing to get paid, then also I would include transportation. Either they come get you and take you safely back home, or they give extra for the cab fare. Do not put your safety in jeopardy to help them out. It is very kind of you to be so generous, but please don't put yourself in a bad position for it.
I don't mind the walk in daylight, but I have to go past a rough council estate and 3 pubs, so if its late on a Saturday night, I would want transport. My sister only gets paid seven an hour, and she has to take care of disabled people AND clean their houses, so I think five is ok for just playing with 2 babies
@djbtol (5500)
You are being kind to balance your need for the income with the burden you will be placing on the parents. Sometimes it is hard to find the right price, but I do think it is reasonable to charge a bit more for multiple children. You can suggest a price to the parents and gauge their reaction. In the long run, you may make more if the cost is not excessive. Good opportunity.
I know they had a baysitter before who now has a full time job, maybe I should ask how much they paid her?
@Jatada (291)
I think that is good as when they like your services they will give you more or help you to make more earnings.So what they offered is less but a good way to start.Keep patient you will keep on growing just dont worry and dont leave that job
@sid556 (31006)
Hi Marianne, I used to do daycare when my girls were small. What some of them want these days and even back then was almost my whole paycheck! For that reason, I became the daycare provider. I do know first hand how hard it is and I get it ...these people that do this deserve top pay. The ones that are good do truly earn it. Still is it fair to ask almost as much as what the person is earning? They are leaving their little ones because they can't afford not to work. What good is working for 7.50 an hour and then paying a sitter more than half of that. Then there is the gas to and from work...may as well not work. right? I always handled it on a case to case basis. I asked the person what they could afford to pay and then decided if it was worth my time. In most cases it was. I took care of two kids for a teacher who paid me real well. She was married and both she and her husband made good money and she very willingly paid me a good amount. She also paid me vacation time which I told her she didn't have to. She just replied..you deserve a paid vacation too. I would if I were you, just work with the couple. 5.00 an hour doesn't sound too bad and especially where it's probably only going to be a short time each week. You have to make it worth your while to even go there.
Hey any income is better than no income. I think that's a decent rate. I was reading about the rates for a sitter should be like $10-15/hr! I bout fell over! I don't make either per hour at my part time job let alone pay someone else that much!
Oh, that sounds like a nice 'on the side' opportunity. Why not? I need things like this to come up in MY LIFE!!! LOl. Well best of luck to you!
@verolop29 (1096)
u should ask her what they are willing to pay. but i think ur a kind person to do that for them! i wish there was someone that could do that for me..but there is nothing like that offered here..maybe i could offer childcare for very low?..hmmm
A job on basis, for that amount of time is a nice way to start out. It is hard to go from jobs on the internet where you pick your own time, to a full time job 9-5. Personally, I have not had a full time job since college. I pick my own hours for my jobs online, and also offline and I don't plan on giving that up any time soon!