Childhood accidents

What is the worst accident your child has had? What kind of accidents do you worry about? My kids have had lots of accidents, but I think the worst one was last year, when my daughter (then 5) thought she could hang upside down from the curtain rail in her bedroom. I thought she was in bed, but clearly she wasn't. The rail came away from the wall and she hit her head on the radiator as she fell. She came down crying and screaming "it was an accident!" like she thought she would be in trouble... When I saw the blood pouring from the back of her head, admonishing her was the last thing on my mind. I took her straight to the hospital where a nurse shaved off some of her hair, washed the wound, and applied pressure to stop the bleeding. Then the doctor glued it. There have been many other accidents, like climbing on furniture and pulling it down on top of them... falling down stairs... hitting their heads on the wall or floor... but never a worse one than the curtain rail incident. These days, I worry because the 6 and 5 year olds have been doing street dancing after school, and some of the moves they try, they could break their necks - I can't watch!
@jureathome (5363)
That one was a really bad fall and I hope she didn't get any worse complications from that accident. Accidents are really what we, as moms, fear the most for our children. The bad thing is, accidents happen when we least expect them, so no matter how much we keep the house safe for kids, and no matter how much we keep reminding them how to avoid getting hurt -- bad things still happen. I feel so bad whenever my little girl gets hurt, and I just hate to see her cry. But, somehow, these events teach them a lesson or two. When my daughter was about 2yrs old, she inserted her left index finger thru the fan trying to reach in to the turning blade. It gave her a bad cut and she was bleeding. We rushed her to the hospital and was advised to get an xray of the affected part to check if part of the bone got cut, and she was also given an anti-tetanus shot since the fan blades were made of steel and not plastic. The nanny was really sorry about what happened. Just like your kid, she also had a few other falls and drops, but that was the worst accident she had. What I hated is, it could have been avoided, if the nanny was doing her job well.
She was fine eventually, but we couldn't wash her hair for a week, and the bump didn't go down for almost 2 months. Now she has a big scar but her hair has grown over it.
I hope there are no long term problems caused by that bad fall. Sometimes, accidents may not have immediate effects, but symptoms of complications come out years after.
@ShyBear88 (17427)
I almost have two kids. My daughter hasn't has any bad accidents. I don't worry to much that just isn't me being a worry wort. I do worry about her trying to play with our tv. It's really heavy and its a flat screen and sit on a every small table where she can reach it. We have been trying to get a better a tv stand so that she doesn't get hurt my it where we can mount it in place. Other wise I have no worries. I can mention a really bad accident I was in as a kid?
Of course you can tell us about your accident! I worry about the tv too, it is on a large stand and should be safe, but I know if the little one pushed it hard it could rock and topple over onto her.
@ShyBear88 (17427)
I use to worry about the stairs but now it's the tv. The stairs don't worry me any more because we have a gate when we first moved it scared me having stairs with her. They scare still now because I'm pregnant and some times my daughter is to tired to walk down them with help and some times I feel like I"m falling if I have to help her down the stairs so I carry her. She isn't tall enough to hold the rail yet. We are working hard to get a new stand and stuff to make it safer for her. I watch to make sure she doesn't touch it or get to close to it. Normally she'll avoid it but some times she just wants to get closer and closer to it. For me the worst accident of my child hood was when I was about 5 years old. I wasn't in elementary school yet I was in pre-k still. We where putting away food after shopping for a week and I was carrying a bad of apples in front of my face and walked right into the car side mirror and hit my ear so hard it almost came off. I think both of my parents hearts had stopped because I just fell to the ground crying so loud they came running out of the house. I had to go to the er and get stitches put in. I got ice cream and a balloon. I know it hurt so much that I remember it and think it hurts more then labor its self.
@sid556 (31005)
Hi Marianne, I was amazingly lucky with my 4 girls when they were growing up and out of 4 of them, only one had a serious accident. She was 5 and her and her sister were in the bathroom together. She was getting undressed for a bath and I had just stepped out to grab a towel from the laundry. I was not gone 2 mins and she had climbed up on the vanity which was damp. When she slipped the door below was ajar and she fell on it and went right up between her legs. She began hemmoraging. I rushed her to the hospital where they put her to sleep and had to perform emergency surgery to stop the bleeding. She was just a hair away from a major organ so she was lucky. It was a pretty scary time for sure!
I can imagine that must have been terrifying for you! My eldest has more accidents than any of the others. In addition to the accident I mentioned, she has a lump of scar tissue on her bottom lip where she bit right through it in a pillow fight, and a scar on her forehead from a bowl - she was trying to pass her brother the carrots and fell off her chair, bowl in hand. As a toddler, she had a tall chest of drawers in her room, and she emptied the lower drawers, then tried to climb up them - as the unit was top-heavy when she had emptied half of it, it tipped and she was trapped under it... and it was opposite her bedroom door, and had blocked the door - we had to unscrew the hinges to get in there and rescue her! Thankfully, there were only bruises and slight emotional trauma from that incident - and a very nasty nappy (who knew a child could actually poo themselves from fright?!)
I want to share the accident that my younger sister experienced. She was playing in the playground and she fell head first on the concrete floor. She somehow lost her balance while playing on the monkey bars. It was a frightening experience also for me because the wound was deep and she has to be rushed to the hospital. The wound happened on her left forehead. They had to do a lot of stitches to reconstructed the skin. Up to now, she still has the scar on her forehead.
My friend's daughter (aged 4) wears glasses, and she fell from the monkey bars not long ago. The glasses slipped down her face, and she landed on them, and had to have I think 40+ stitches in her chin. The glasses were completely intact and undamaged! Poor little thing
@sender621 (14956)
My oldest son is twenty years old now but i can still remember like it was yesterday when he had his worst accident as a child. he was five years old and just getting ready to enter kindergarten the next month, He was riding a friend's bicycle and ran down into a culvert and nearly slixewd his tongue all the way across. My husband and I raced him to the hospital where he had to have surgery. I was never so scared in all of my life. In the years that followed my son had another biie aceident. He was riding down a hill and said he did not see the boat parked along the side of the road. He sn=macked right into it. we used to tease my son after that , telling him that he needed to stop using his face for brakes.
my son uses his face when he falls over, to protect his hands from getting scraped! At least I think this must be what he's doing, because he NEVER puts his hands out when he falls. He just lands on his face every time.
Knock on wood, neither of my children have ever been involved in any kind of a major accident. They haven't had any broken bones and we've never had to make a trip to the emergency room. With that said, I would say that the worst accident that either of them have been involved in is when my son decided to try playing with the sewing machine and he ended up putting the machine needle all the way through his finger. We were able to get it out ourselves and it healed up nicely, but it did scare me none the less.
My niece tried to hang my daughter out the window by a string on a blind around her neck luckily my son can and told me before they put her out the window.. My son fell of the playground at school and was rushed to the hospital on a back bored thing but he was fine so I do not think there have been any terrible accidents. But my oldest 2 are only 3 and almost 5.
mY DAUGHTER GOT HIT by a car when she was 8 ears old. That was the most we even had to deal with.