My cat caught another bird :(

I heard a bird going crazy outside so I looked out and saw a magpie on the fence screeching and flapping. I looked down and saw my cat, by the back door, with the magpie's broken-necked partner in his mouth I wish he would stop doing this. He got in a fight a few days ago and lost his collar, so he doesn't have a warning bell, or he wouldn't have caught the bird. I hope his new one arrives quickly. When he catches a bird he waits for my permission before he eats it, so I have to go outside and tell him I don't want it, then he eats it, making sickening crunching noises and leaves a mess of wings and intestines by my door. Eww! I know its natural cat behaviour but its still gross.
@NailTech (6890)
Yes it is gross to us but to a cat it is a sign that the cat loves and adores you, and is bringing you a "gift". The way these cats think is different than us, of course. If he is hungry though he will eat it. I have seen other cats in the yard catching & eating mice, first they play with it though. One of my own cats was a huge hunter of mice, he brought one or two in the house, one was alive when he let it loose in the house one day. My other cat tried to catch it. Then another time he brought home a baby rabbit in his mouth, I wasn't home at the time. My mom said he carried it in his mouth like a kitten. My brother let it go again in the woods. Maybe he wanted us to make some rabbit stew.
@911Ricki (13602)
This is a cats instinct to do this. My cats dont go outside without me or in their strollers. Im more afraid of them being hit by a car as we are so close to the highway. My Moms cat years ago use to bring us half eatten mice, but its his way of showing us love supposeable (thats what we were told).
Your cats have STROLLERS? I don't think I could get mine into one... I do worry about them going out, especially the male cat as we are near a busy junction, but if I kept him in he would hate it. Yeah, bringing home a kill, to the cat, means he is providing food for his human family - I wish he would go hunt some pizza instead!
Yeah, that is what cats do. At least be grateful that it is just birds, and not larger 'small creatures'. My dog particuarly likes to go kill lizards, gophers, and of course skunks.
He sometimes catches river rats, but as we are near the river and have 3 young children, I consider that a good thing. I don't want rats in my garden when my kids are playing there. On the other hand, last year he found a huge caterpillar and brought it home and treated it like a kitten! He was so disappointed when I let it go free. He wanted it to be his friend.
Hello friend, Its so sad news. I am bird lover and its hurt me so much. I know your cat did not understand but though you should follow your cat and try to stop them. Nice to meet you.
@ekt1609 (34)
For most domestic cats its more of a game, the thrill of the hunt. My cat has never been one to catch birds I even have a pet cockatiel that she has never shown any interest in. I would take the bird away from the cat so it atleast doesnt eat it. I have always found if cat is fed well and is getting enogh attention and play time with its owner then they tend not to be as interested in hunting. Good luck and I hope the new bell/collar arrives soon.
@angemac23 (2005)
My cat does this too and I hate it!! As soon as she is let outdoors for even a short time, she turns into a killing machine and kills everything that moves. I can't keep her in the house because she goes stir crazy and bugs to be let out but when she goes out, it means the end of some innocent creatures life. She actually used to sit on top of our bird house and wait for unsuspecting birds to try and grab some food.....that ended when I had to move the bird house somewhere else that she could not access!
@lakantar (1575)
• Greece
yeap cats have predator instincts too so it is a normal thing for them. Maybe if you get your cat a toy that it can hunt like a ball or something so you can take that energy out of it by playing :)
@krizzy (237)
Do your cat always caught a bird?..my cat could caught a big lizard..he don't eat it at first, he's just play it but afterwards he'll eat it..they are really messy in eating other creatures..really gross!..
@Judy890 (1633)
Really? how cute. lol I never knew cats can catch birds; Birds are so fast.