I was scared, I was excited, it was a disaster, but it was a great night...

@MissPiggy (1751)
Indonesia
I think I will never forget Saturday, May 26, 2012. It was a great day for me, and yet the worst day in my life. I didn't regret it, but I wish I could turn back the time and make it a little better. So I decided to go out of city this Saturday to meet a friend. Actually it should be on Sunday and everything was set perfectly. Until my friend had to chance our schedule because of a sudden program in his school. So I had to set another schedule. I managed to leave my work place 1,5 hours earlier. The thing that made me so scared and yet so excited was that I went alone this time. All by myself. I have never been anywhere alone for 29 years. Even if I wasn't with my family, I would take my friend to go with me. That's why I was so excited. It was a great night, I finally spent few more hours with my friend (the plan was only 1,5 hours). We talked and watched tv in the hotel. We really enjoyed our night. But there was one problem: I lied to everybody to get into this schedule. I told my boss that I would go out of city with my family to attend a wedding party. And I told my parents that I would go out of city with with my workmates in my office. At first everything was perfectly fine until my mom texted me. She sounded like she knew something and asked me where I was. And the worst thing was that my boss also texted me!! I finally told my mom that I was alone. At least that was not a lie. I was alone on my way out of the city, I was already alone in the hotel when I wrote this discussion. In fact, I really enjoyed my time alone. However, it's 12:41am when I wrote this and I was really sleepy, but I can't sleep. I can't face my parents on Sunday and the worse part is, I can't face my boss on Monday. I really had a great night, but the consequences were bigger than I thought in the first place. This time I'm screwed, but I would never regret it.
@sid556 (31018)
OUCH! It's always so embarrassing to be caught in these little lies and when we are not natural born liars...well, we always get caught. I've been in spots like this although I can't offhand recall the exact situation but I remember lying about something totally stupid, getting caught in the lie and feeling...ugh..just stupid. I don't think you should stress any more about this. It would only taint your memory of the good time you had. Just come clean and tell the truth which really in reading this, doesn't even look as if you planned on lying. Just tell them what you told us here. You didn't cause any harm to anyone so it's not such a big deal. It sounds to me like you are just worrying too much about this. It'll be alright. Glad you had a great time!
@MissPiggy (1751)
Oh, thank you so much, Sid! And I think you're right. I'm just worried too much. But it's because I feel like, well you've said it, stupid. I can't stop laughing at myself every time I remember my boss' text message. He was only asking "What are you doing now?" and I was like "Dang, he knows something." And then he said something like "Making your mom worried is not a good thing. Call her." And I did. I felt really dumb that time. Heheh... Now I'm just thinking about how to face my boss on Monday. I think I will only give a silly smile every time I see him. I will tell him the truth. But yeah, it's really worth it. Thank you, I did have a great time.
@else22 (4319)
It was really exciting,but why did you lie? You could have told the truth to everybody who wanted to know where you were.But perhaps it would have lessened the excitement.I too once had spent a night in a jungle at the outskirts of my hometown where I had gone to visit an old temple.Suddenly the weather turned stormy and it became impossible for me to walk along the road.Somehow I reached the temple,but not before night.It had started raining and I had to take shelter in the hut of the priest that was under a big banyan tree.The storm and the rain went on till midnight.The priest proposed me to stay there in his hut for the night and leave for home in the morning.But I knew my mother must be anxious and upset.So I left his hut at midnight.It was only at 2am that I could reach my home.My mother was crying and praying God for my safety. That was a night I can never forget in my life.I did not lie.I told the truth to everyone present there.
@MissPiggy (1751)
Well, I know many people are questioning why I have to lie to everybody. But if you know my situation, I hope you would understand. I have been living in a shell for my whole life. I have a very protective dad (I love him though, I don't know what I'd do without him), I have a very loving mom, and I have two protective older brothers. So in short, I'm the only daughter in the family and the youngest. I have never had to try hard to reach what I want. At school, at the University, at work. I have never got into trouble during school. I have never have to search the job. It can be said that the job came to me. If I faced some trouble, my family would always come forward to protect me. I'm not spoiled, but I'm always protected. I'm tough, though. It's how I'm "created". People see me as a nice and kind person. I have been living and enjoying my "safe" life. So you know that my life is so smooth. But do you think it's not boring? I enjoy it, but it doesn't mean I don't want to try to do something on my own. That's why I when I had a chance to travel alone, I took it. Even if I had to lie to everybody. At least it's worth it. I have to try to solve my own problems, and I'm glad that I could. I know God is watching me and there are no bigger Eyes than His. No stronger protections than His. So I know I'll be fine. I have explained to my mom that I need a time to spend alone sometimes and if I told her the truth, I knew she wouldn't have let me leave. Moreover my dad. Even after I did this, my parents didn't ground me, or mad at me. At least I'm home safely. Well, I hope I have helped you understand why I lied to everybody, even to my parents. There's one good thing though, if someday I want to travel alone again, I don't have to tell a lie anymore, do I?
@meozard22 (872)
yeah, I guess you did the right thing, but you also did a wrong move. Better improve your lieing so it won't get worst next time hehehe
@MissPiggy (1751)
Thanks! I even hope I won't need to lie anymore next time!
@CODYMAC (1357)
• San Diego, California
I love the quote "Oh what a tangled web..." as the first person stated. But you know, it is that when you found your freedom, you wanted more than anything to get out of your comfort zone. I have a lot of respect for people who want more out of life than just the "ordinary". But, we must also be careful to not burn bridges, or step on toes to get there. I know that if I were in your shoes, I may have done the same thing. If I knew there were not going to be any consequences, I Know I would have lied. But as you said in your post, it was just your mom and your boss. Yet, look at it like this: your mom is a wife, a sister, a friend. Your boss is a husband, a brother, a friend. What I am trying to say is, these are not the only people affected by it. But hey, it is a learning experience, and at least you tackled your phobia. That would be the good side to this...have a great day.
@MissPiggy (1751)
Oh I do love what you were saying!! You are so right! It was worth it. The biggest problem I had was the lying thing. I shouldn't have lied. But if I told them the truth, especially my parents, of course they wouldn't have let me. I like what you said about mom as a wife, a sister, a friend. You are so right. As the matter of fact, she is also the sister I've never had. I have spoken to her today, explaining that sometimes I need a space, and if I didn't lie no one would understand what I meant. And thank God she understood. And the thing about my boss as husband, a brother, a friend. Well, absolutely I won't consider him as a husband. But indeed he is a brother sometimes. He would forgive me, I know that. But I know he's a little disappointed with me. I just hope that I wouldn't have to do it ever again. But you know what? You are again right. It was a great experience to finally getting out of my shell after all this long. I would never regret it.
"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when at first we aim to deceive" is a good expression for your night! People often to this and get caught up when both parties, who you have told two different things told, talk to each other and see the discrepancies in your story. Just say your plans changed at the last minute because of your friend and you realized that you needed to spend the night alone. You didn't inform anyone 'the truth' because you needed that personal space to work some things out. No one can fault you for that ...and if they do...they obviously don't understand the benefits of being alone.
@MissPiggy (1751)
I agree with everything you said! But the truest from what you said was that both parties, who I have told two different things, talked to each other!!! My mom texted my boss to ask about my plan!!! That's why he knew about it. That's why I don't know what to do next Monday!! Like I said that I have told my mom that I was alone, but when I was with my friend I told my boss that I was with a friend because I couldn't lie anymore. I was like busted, you know? Like a thief who's caught right under the spotlight...
Wow! I have been goibg places on my own since 2003? One Hug difference, when my mom was alive I would tell her I was going. Not ask but tell. These days I tell my older sister. It is just common courtesy. That way they won't worry if I'm going to be late or there is a change inmy normal schedule. I guess this is why I am at a loss when I read your post. I can see Having to lie to boss to get some personal time but Having to lie to your parents? You are not 16! You are allowed to go out alone! So All I can say is forgive yourself and then ask for forgiveness from your parents. With your boss? Try to let it be. He/she doesn't need to know Everything about your private life! And the next time Just Tell you parents you are going out. And tell your boss you are out sick. Good Luck.
@MissPiggy (1751)
Oh, the thing about my parents is they would freak out if they know I "tell" them the truth!! See, they have never let me travel anywhere alone! If they knew I would travel alone they would never let me! That's why I have lie to them. But at least I finally told my mom where I was. And today, when I explained to her why I lied, she finally understood and asked me not to lie anymore if I want to get the permission. That's relieving I guess.
Wow! Maybe it is a cultural thing. I believe my mom would have let me go out alone if I wanted to but I didn't until real late. That is why I am puzzled at why your parents won't let you go put alone. Are the streets unsafe? Or is it that no proper woman travels alone? I am not insulting this idea , I am just trying to understand.
@MissPiggy (1751)
Well, you can read my comment on number 13. I have explained quite clear there. And yes, in my religion, women must not travel alone. But that's not the first reason. I really suggest you to read my comment on number 13 as I can't do the copy and paste yet. That's the reason why I was scared but I excited as well.
@adhyz82 (36289)
wow...it is great night meet a friend..but had bad day tomorrow.. i do hope you can pass your monday and sunday without troubles. Amien.. just enjoy your day Miss..
@MissPiggy (1751)
I don't know if I would get a bad day on Monday, as I can pass this Sunday smoothly. I know my boss won't be angry with me, but I think he's going to feel disappointed. But thank you though...
@adhyz82 (36289)
yeah Miss..maybe one day you can make your boss proud of you, and forget that yesterday you make him dissapointed
@MissPiggy (1751)
Well, he won't forget, but he has forgiven me. In fact, now he gave me so many things to do. The thing that will only be given to someone he trusts.
Why did you have to lie to your parents? They wouldn't let you go alone even though you're 29?
@MissPiggy (1751)
I know it might sound weird to you, but that's the fact. I am the only daughter in the family and also the youngest. So for my dad, of course I'll always be his little daughter who needs 24/7 protection. Plus, in my religion, female (actually) must not go anywhere alone. But I want to have this kind of-once-in-my-lifetime chance. So when I saw it, I took it. I won't regret it at all. But the thing that I want to correct is the lying part.
I can understand why you'd feel smothered.
@MissPiggy (1751)
Thank you. I know I made a mistake, but I'm glad some of you could understand me.
@Lakota12 (42794)
NEver pays to lie but glad you had fun
@MissPiggy (1751)
Awww...I do really feel bad about it!! But it was worth it. Really. I'm crossing my fingers. I won't do that again next time.
@Lakota12 (42794)
good
@Thoroughrob (11771)
I guess it would have been smarter just to tell everyone that you were going on a trip and left it at that. I am glad you enjoyed it.
@MissPiggy (1751)
I wish it could have been that simple. But thank you, though.
Why lie? Why not just tell them that you need a night off? I will not go through my life lying to people, but i will not neglect my own needs because of other "obligations." I make sure to get a fair amount of time off whenever I need it, andif the rest of the world doesn't like it, they can all kiss my @$$.
@MissPiggy (1751)
Well, you need to read my comment on number 13. I do really wish I could exactly do like what you're saying. But I have a reason for lying. I finally told my mom today because even my workmate at office told me that my life has been so smooth and he supported me by saying that I have to be "naughty" sometimes. My mom said she understood why I lied but she wished that I won't lie to her again. I hope I won't.
@PageTurner (2827)
I do not understand. Why did you lie about anything to anyone? What business is it of yours how you spend your time? Please clarify as I just don't get it. Congratulations on spending time as you want to send it. It sounds like you need more time for yourself without worrying about what people think about how you live your life.
@MissPiggy (1751)
If you read the other comments, they might be able to help you to understand my situation. And thank you, that's what I really want sometimes.
@Rick1950 (1481)
• Peru
Well, you've lied everybody and they already know it. I think you need only to ask for apologies. I expect they will understand you if you promise them to say the truth the next time.
@MissPiggy (1751)
Amen. I have apologized to my parents. Now I have my boss left to apologize to.
Besides the lie I think everything worked out for you. You ae old enough to travel and you should try it more often. As long as you know your wa there and back you should try to me more independent of other people.
@MissPiggy (1751)
That was my plan. I do really want to go alone somewhere at least once in my life time! And I got this chance, so I took it. I know I shouldn't have lied to everybody about it, but if I didn't I wouldn't get the permission. I hope I will still have another chance to go out of cities alone, and this time I wouldn't have to lie anymore.