Meals to tempt a fussy 6 year old?

I usually just heat up frozen food, but I do try to cook when I have time. My 6 year old daughter has become very fussy lately, refusng most foods, except for a few favourite meals like pizza or spaghetti bolognese, or vegetarian sausages. She won't even eat potatoes! I made chicken casserole and she ate the chicken but left the vegetables and sauce. Whatever I cook seems to be wrong. I just don't know what to feed her. She's so picky. I'm looking for ideas of healthy, home-cooked meals which would look good and tempt her to eat. I'm worried about her not eating properly.
@bellis716 (4806)
Just keep providing healthy foods for her to eat (or ignore), and let her see you enjoy ing eating the same foods that you put on her plate. If possible, don't offer sweets as an alternate food. She won't starve. Offer her a variety of nnutritious foods. If she eats them, fine and if she doesn't, let that be fine, too. She'll eat when she gets hungry. The most important thing right now is for her seeing the rest of the family enjoying the meals that you prepare. If she wants to be a prima donna, let her be a hungry one.
@barehugs (8986)
You are right to be worried! This could become a lifetime problem! Make sure she gets lots of exercise (outdoors if possible) and lots of water to drink. Milk is not a good food for a 6 yr old, and may affect her appetite. The trick is to get her to enjoy good nutrition, so do not let her snack between meals! Make sure shes hungry, and eat your meals with her, so she can see you enjoying the same food she is eating.
Honestly, I think that the best thing that you can do for your daughter is to continue to offer foods to her. You see, my daughter went through a stage where she would only eat chicken nuggets and french fries. However, every day we would have some kind of a vegetable and I would get her to eat at least a bite of those. Well, now she is nine years old and she doesn't really like to eat junk food, her favorite snack is actually green beans.
I ask my kids which vegeatble they like best (it seems to change on a regular basis) so I can serve something they are likely to eat. But my daughter changes her mind from day to day, its very frustrating
I have a picky 9yr who's rubbing off on her younger two siblings. She does similar things where she only eats one thing out of the whole dish especially if the dish is made of veggies like say chicken fried rice. I would make a list of what she likes and find ways to make it healthier. So like the spaghetti, I've been known to puree spinach (like you would home made baby food) and add a teaspoon of it to the sauce (with out the kids or hubby seeing). There are things you can do to make it healthier you just need to find the right alternatives for you. Like I found a recipe for some awsome zucchini brownies my kids eat them like crazy and until we made them together couldn't belive there was a veggie in it. Does she get hot lunch at school? If not that may be worth a shot if it's available there now I know the cost is reasonable compared to what you'd spend on a fast food meal BUT this helped my 9yr to try new things as the school only gives them a few options for their main food and then their sides. She will eat salads at school and wraps which are things she would not of touched in the past. And even seeing her peers eating something she wouldn't normally like could be of more influence than anything we say
She does have hot school meals, and I always ask her what she has had and if she liked it, to give me an idea of what might work at home. But she keeps changing her mind - she might like tuna today, and hate it tomorrow. She went through a phase when the only vegetable she would eat was broccolli, then it was sweetcorn, and now she will eat carrots and peas but prefers salad.
@bulastika (5967)
Don't blame the child blame the mother. lols. Your child become picky because chance are you are picky also. I guess those she ate are also either your favorite or your husband favorite. But if you show to your daughter that veggie is also delicious then she will also eat. Just talk to yourself while eating how good to eat veggie and make you strong etc. I'm sure she going to eat veggie also. And stop feeding here unhealthy food!
I don't eat unhealthily and I think its quite rude that you suggest its my fault. I encourage her to eat a variety of foods, including things I dislike. She eats what she is given at school. At home she will eat a lot of salad and fruit, and she always tells me if what she is eating is good or bad for her. She etas plenty of vegetables, but she needs other food groups too.
@ARIES1973 (9539)
• Legaspi, Philippines
Hi marriane! I remember when my children are of that age. They were also very picky eaters. What I would do during that time, I had to grate everything, like meat and vegetables then joined them together and fry. Well, children love to eat fried foods, e.g fried chicken so I thought of that way to let them eat vegetables. Of course drinking milk was always a practice.
My kids love milk, and will eat certain vegetables but it varies from day to day, one day they will love sweetcorn and hate brocolli, another day they will like brocolli and hate carrots...
You have 3 favorite meals for her, but I´d make it clear that she can´t have her main dish until she eats a little bit of salad at least. Remember not to overcook veggies (children hate soggy dishes). As she likes chicken, make chicken in different ways. Roasted chicken is very healthy as fat is roasted down, cooked chicken is good (I remember my children loved cold chicken specially if they ate the thighs with their hands). You can add meat to spaguetti bolognese (enough to suit her needs of protein). And there are several fruit based desserts. All of this means work. Do you work out of your home that you have to give her frozen food?
@GemmaR (8526)
If you make a list of everything that she will eat, you should then try to make sure that she is getting some kind of healthy food in with all those things. For example, if you're giving her pizza, then try to put some sweetcorn on the top of it and make the sauce from proper tomatoes rather than the processed stuff that you can get these days. You should also make sure that she is drinking at least one glass of fresh fruit juice every day, as this will help her to be able to get some of the healthy things into her diet even though she might be a little picky. My cousin wouldn't eat anything but garlic bread for two years of his life, and he is absolutely fine now, so it might just be a phase that she will get over.