Coupons and Rude Sales people

@erikmama (12934)
I recently sent out 50 requests to companies for coupons and samples. I received quite a few responses, and one company sent me 3 coupons good for $3 off any product. On the bottom of the coupon it stated that multiple coupone were allowed per purchase. I purchased $12 worth of items for the coupons, leaving me to owe $3. This was 3 different products. When I got to the register she (the cashier) said she could take only one. I told her that the coupons said more than one and that I had three products. The cashier rudely told me she would take only one coupon because that was store policy. Then asked if I would like to pay for the purchase. I felt she was really rude! Then I come home and looked up the coupon policy of the company...they should have taken my coupons! What do you do when a store employee is wrong and rude? how should one handle this situation? Ever experiences aimilar situation
@owlwings (39249)
• Cambridge, England
For a matter of a few dollars it is hardly worth making a fuss. I would simply have split the items into three transactions and used a coupon on each transaction. If I felt that the cashier was definitely and unnecessarily rude, I would ask for his or her name and make a separate, written complaint to the management about the behaviour. If the store was part of a chain, I would send the complaint to head office, giving full details of the store, the time and what happened. Most companies like to feel that they train their staff well and will appreciate your complaint, if it seems reasonable and justified, and be apologetic. Sometimes they will even offer compensation in the form of more coupons.
@erikmama (12934)
i have had problems with the store before with rude cashiers, losing my photos , etc. But for the most part I have an enjoyable experience with them. It is Walgreems a well known pharmacy. I did not make a fuss or want to make a fuss I just didnt think that it sounded right and if the coupon says that multiple ocupons can be used I dont get it. Why would they sau that unless thet wanted me to use it how I wanted to?
First of all, I have to say that I always thought that the proper customer service technique was that the customer is always right. However, in this world of extreme couponing, there are more and more problems that people will have with using coupons at stores. One of the suggestions that I've heard time and time again was to take a copy of the company's coupon policy with you when you go to the store in case you have a clerk that doesn't want to abide by their policies. In addition to that, I think that as you coupon more and more you will find that some stores are easier to use when using coupons and others will be a lot harder for you.
@stary1 (6622)
dorannmwin LOL now that is funny..keeping a copy of the store policy everytime you go to shop is a very clever policy..
@erikmama (12934)
It used to be that the customer was always right but that is a thing of the past. The customer seems to matter less and less to so many companies nowadays. I think carrying a copy with you is a good idea, though with me I would probably forget it at the house every time!
@cher913 (25891)
you should complain to the manager of the store and point out to him the store policy and what she did wrong.
@erikmama (12934)
LOL! I think I should, too, but too much of a hassle! I just hate it when people have to be so rude, and then in the end they are wrong about the situation!
Just talk to management the next time you are in, as you say you have had rude cashiers there before. Most stores realize that there is so little price difference overall that good customer service has to be what brings people back to shop again.
I would have demanded to see the manager. I then would have told the manager that your coupons say that you can use multiple coupons. I would write to the corporate office and tell them what had happened. Hopefully they will be more sympatheic. did you get the cashier's name so you can report her to management?
@erikmama (12934)
Well there was a line of people and I didnt want to casue a scne. And I really wasnt thinking at the time. If I had three coupons and three products there was no reason that I shouldn't have been able to use them! I did not get the cashiers name...
Do you still have your receipt. Often a receipt either has the cashier name, a personal ID number or at any rate the register number and time of day. Any one of those three would tell who the cashier was. It would have really made her look foolish to have to do three separate transactions for your purchases. That was a better idea than my idea, I guess.
@stary1 (6622)
erikmama Store clerks can be rude at times but they are people too and have stress problems, so I usually try to be nice. However, I do stand on principle and will try to get my way. I would calmly try to make my point and if I couldn't and I really felt it was important enough, I would go see the manager. If all else fails I would go to different registers and have separate transactions..Best of luck in the future!!
@erikmama (12934)
I understand that we are all human and have bad days but there is no reason to take it out on me! Customers keep a store going, and I should never be treated that way!! There was no other registers open. That was all I wanted was to complete seperate transactions but this seemed to be a problem for her. I never did anything else regarding the matter, just vented here on MyLot!
@mzz663 (2775)
I would have talked to the manager or had the items rung up in separate transactions. Even if the store policy said that it was unacceptable to have them all in the same transaction, I would have talked to the manager about how rude the cashier was. Not long ago I had a rude waitress at a restaurant, I got up, went to the register, asked for the manager and let him know I wanted another table in a different section with a different server. Always let someone in management know if an employee is rude and let them know they may lose your business if the problem isn't corrected. It's not my fault that someone is working at a job or working hours that they really don't want, I can't help it if someone else before me gave them a hard time. It doesn't take me long to be ruder than ever right back at someone that directs their anger at me.
@erikmama (12934)
The rudeness is my whole point. It is okay to be wrong about something. Even if I do not work there and now about the coupon policy more than you, that is okay. But to just be plain dirty about it is horrible. Sometimes managers care, other times it seems they do not.
@FrugalMommy (1447)
I've had similar things happen to me. A cashier at Walmart accused me of trying to commit coupon fraud by using coupons for a product they weren't supposed to be used on. The coupons were for $1 off any one Cutter product, and the items I was trying to use them on were Cutter brand citronella candles. The brand isn't marked anywhere on the candles, but we brought them up to the register in a tray that had the Cutter logo on it. She insisted that she couldn't use it because the coupon had pictures of insect repellents on it, not candles. She finally called a manager over, and the manager said that it was okay if the product wasn't pictured on the coupon... but we still couldn't use them because they were for more than Walmart was selling the item for. Walmart's coupon policy says that overages are okay and will be applied to other items in the transaction or refunded as cash to the customer. The manager also had an issue with the fact that the coupon said that the Spectrum Group would reimburse the store for the value of the coupon plus handling, because Cutter and Spectrum Group are clearly two different things. The Spectrum Group is the parent company that makes that brand of products, just like Unilever makes Ragu pasta sauce and Popsicle frozen treats! After that happened, I sent feedback in to Walmart through their Facebook page. I didn't name either of the employees. They were just trying to make sure that they followed the rules, and I've heard that some stores are having issues with people trying to use coupons when they aren't even buying the item the coupon's for. I simply told Walmart that I was disappointed that the cashier and CSM I spoke to in that store weren't familiar with the terms of the company's coupon policy and suggested that they might provide a bit of additional training to make sure their employees understand the policy better. I think that's a lot more effective approach than throwing individual employees under the bus, so to speak. I don't think either the cashier or the CSM were as rude as your cashier, though. It's one thing to be wrong, but rudeness just isn't okay in a customer service job. I started carrying a copy of every store's coupon policy with me when I go shopping just in case I have a problem like that again.
@erikmama (12934)
Did you receive a response from the email that you sent to them? I find that some companies are willing to bedon over backwards for you when you have an issue while others seems to care nothing about it. I sent an email to WalMart once and never received a reply back to that email. I am sorry that you have also had to deal with this situation as well. It really does suck! I think more stores need to train their employees on coupon use. More and more people are using them yet so many know nothing about them.
You should ask to speak to the customer service manager, and then if not satisfied,, to the assistant manager or to the manager of the store. If they proceed to continue with their rude behavior you should look for a poster or sign that gives their district or regional manager. I would make note of the cashier's name, take the coupons back to the store, along with a copy of their own coupon policy and speak to anyone higher than that cashier, and provide the name. If you still do not get satisfaction, send a copy of this discussion to the company in question, detailing what store it was that gave you problems.
@erikmama (12934)
It is Walgteens,,,I have had problems with them in the past. I didny want to mske a fuss in the store. zthere were a lot of people in line. But she didnt have to be rude about it.