Do you have a garden? What do you plant there and do they grow well

@LittleMel (14055)
I am starting a herb garden. In the past I only planted vegetables and didn't always work out. We have big trees in the back yard and I don't want to cut them down or even cut the branches, but when the leaves are out we don't get much sun there. So this year I decided to start in the front yard that gets more sun. I'm hoping the herbs will grow better as they get more sun and if there is a space I will plant some vegetables too. How about you? Do you have a garden, what do you plant and do they grow well? What did you plant in the past and did they grow well too?
I have one huge flowerbed in the yard, it is 12' by 12'. We used to have a swimming pool in that area, I didn't want the pool anymore and had a big bare circle. So, I planted wild flowers that come up every year. Along with that I have several raised beds where I plant my vegetables. I have corn, cucumbers, tomatoes, pumpkin, cantaloupe and flowers planted. I throw seeds everywhere in the Spring, so there is always color and a surprise every Summer. I love gardening.
@LittleMel (14055)
wow huge garden you have we might have a huge area if we turn both back and front yards into gardens but it's a lot of work just the front yard already maybe next year hubby will help
@derek_a (10902)
Hi Mel... Yes we now have a garden. We just has a small paved area when we lived in the city and that was it for 24+ years, but now we have what we always wanted. I have uploaded a photo, of our second year here and we had just gotten the garden to look as we want wanted it too. (I don't know if the upload worked or not) _Derek
@LittleMel (14055)
hi derek I don't see any garden image I saw one of your photos, the cottage with red door?
@derek_a (10902)
Our Garden 2011 - It took us a couple of years to get the garden in shape. This is one sunny corner where the flowers seem to have responded best of all.
Tried again today Mel, and it worked... _Derek
@LittleMel (14055)
derek it's beautiful wow we have some work to do with the foundation and when it's done I can continue with garden project. yes I think it will take a few years before it gets done
I would rather say my garden has me! I spend most of my time there. It is a garden full of fruit trees, flowering shrubs, flowering creepers and a lot of greenery.It has water fall and a bird bath. The chirping of birds makes my day.
@LittleMel (14055)
sounds like beautiful garden, and delicious lol I can imagine why you love it so much
Part view of my front garden - Gardening is my passion
.
@LittleMel (14055)
really nice :) if the plants grow well, I will start with my idea of a garden the back yard I will come up with something else
@asdomencil (4276)
I do have minim garden in our house. We don't have that area to plant so I resulted into something. I planted some vegetables, ornamental, even fruit trees like tamarind and chico. You can visit my blog for others. http://chemist9861.blogspot.com/2012/02/project-home-gardening.html and http://chemist9861.blogspot.com/2012/02/recycling-empty-milk-cans.html
@LittleMel (14055)
we don't have that big of an area either I saw the plants in pots how nice they grow big and tall
Those are not pots. They are empty milk cans. I just painted it with red so that it will look like plant pots. I really do love gardening. I am planning to put plantbox in front of our house. When I have the budget and when my father visits our house, I'll request him to make plant box and I will be the one to made the landscape.
@LittleMel (14055)
that gives me an idea :) will see how it goes with the plants first. then I will do it
@KrauseHome (35517)
Well, we do have a garden, or a little bit of one that we always plant things in, but this yr. it does not look like it is doing that well at all. I think personally due to our Cooler than normal weather a lot lately it is hard to get things to grow like they should. But we did try tomatoes, and strawberries.
@LittleMel (14055)
was going to try strawberries but I wanted to start from seeds instead of plants and at the time there were just plants on the other hand, we have tomatoes, both seeds and plants, going well I'm really surprised because the seeds are 3 yrs old I just decided to try them and they did grow :)
@aghiuta (526)
Yes.we have quite a few gardens around the house,mostly flowers,in the sunny and partially shade gardens,ferns and shade hostas in the shade garden.On the side of the house we plant every year tomatoes, peppers,lettuce.this year we are trying to see if we can get peas,and wax beans,and I want to start herbs in a planter.We will see.Usually the tomatoes do very well,and I like best the cherry tomatoes.I call them nature's candy ,and like to go in the garden and just eat them of the vine! I put a couple of pics on my profile if anybody wants to see.
@LittleMel (14055)
nice garden you have and cherry tomatoes, that's a good idea :) we don't always get success with beef steak tomatoes so maybe we should try different kind of tomato instead
@jpso138 (7868)
I have a small garden in our backyard. I love to plant and harvest and savor the fruit of my labor. I do not have a big backyard so I cannot plant many things. But the place is good enough for tomatos, okra, ampalaya. I also have some chili in a pot as well as some onions. Its really nice to just go to the backyard and get some of these fresh items when I'm cooking.
@LittleMel (14055)
fresh items are certainly better than store bought that may have stayed there for weeks. I really hope my hard work pays off this time. I do almost everything myself including digging and turning the soil around. Hubby can't help he is too busy with work
@bellis716 (4806)
I have a flower garden in the front of the house and a vegetable garden on the side of the back yard. In the vegetable garden I'm growing tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, Swiss chard, cow peas, garlic, onions, mint, and rosemary. Tomatoes started ripening about a week ago. In another week we'll have more than we can use off our 4 plants. The hot peppers were a mintake, so those 2 plants are the most prolific plants in the garden. My husband can't eat the hot peppers, so I can't even use them in cooked foods. The Swiss chard, also, is doing exceptionally well. I only planted half of the package of seed, but I've had to give some of it away. The rosemary and mint are both doing well. I dug up a bucketful twice to give away, and it';s already creeping back into the other part of the garden. So far, I( 'd say that the garden is doing well, but the hot Texas summer when everything goes dormant is coming soon.
@LittleMel (14055)
yeah I suppose too much sun is not good for the plants either I will probably try some other plants that don't require much sun next yr saves me from re-planting all the time
@Dassodils (2013)
In my garden, I nurse some plants of flowers..In my garden,I grow Jasmin,Rose etc..There have a big collection of flowers in my garden.Especially roses..I like to meet them every day..While seeing them, I will get some more energy..When I am sad, I will try to see them and nurse them as children..That helps me to be happy every day....Happy to hear that You are growing such a herbal garden..That's really good..Now a days, all are missing the faith on herbals..Thanks...
@LittleMel (14055)
yeah some people give me funny look when I told them I am trying to grow herbs it's really due to space and that most vegetables I grew didn't grow well so why not try herbs herbs too are as important as other groceries
@vandana7 (67680)
Its my dream to have my own kitchen garden, but as of now, I dont have one. :)
@LittleMel (14055)
one day you'll have one I'm sure :)
@anne25penn (3310)
My garden has become smaller over a year ago due to the kitchen extension that was built. I can only do potted plants now and so far roses seem to thrive well in my pots. I tried growing some veggies, like tomatoes and peppers, but only the peppers have thrived. We had some weird weather lately where the sun is out and scorching from morning till noon. Then after lunch it rains, and it's not regular rain but rather torrents of rain. It wasn't good for my tomatoes, but the weird weather seem to agree with my orchids because they are now starting to flower. I wish I had a bigger garden, but then again the house where I live is small and I have to content myself with potted plants.
@LittleMel (14055)
we seem to have more success with flowers and not vegetables pepper and tomato never grew well in our yard either
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I do have a garden. It is little, but I don't have a lot of room. I have a pepper plant, cucumber plants, grape tomatoes, big boy tomatoes, and cantaloupe. Those are the vegetables we buy a lot of at the store.
@LittleMel (14055)
that's what we have been trying to do grow our groceries, well most of them
@maximax8 (28558)
I have a bungalow with a front garden, a drive and a back garden. I had built a shed and painted it to look like a summer house in my rear garden. I have an ugly white wall and let plants grow up it plus added an arbor. I have made a side planting area next to the fence. In it I have hardy looking palm like trees and plants with a tropical look to them. I have an Australian Cabbage Palm, a Chines Fan Palm and a Waggie Palm. I have Petinia Red Robin. In my front garden I have left it as it was. I have a lawn in both my front and back gardens. I have to mow it every fortnight.
@LittleMel (14055)
I have to mow the lawn too but when all the yards are turned into gardens I won't have to that's going to take years lol hubby is more excited about fishing than gardens
@lynboobsy11 (11346)
Honestly I don't have green thumb but my mom has it. But I'm so eager to have a garden even it is so small. And recently when I moved here in my new house I have a little small space in my door yard and I put some flowery plants. At first I'm excited and hoping that they will bear flowers too like my mother does. And I'm so lucky I didn't expect that I can grew them and did not kill them . I have some herbal plants here. I don't put some veggies because I know my door yard is not enough for the space.
@LittleMel (14055)
yeah vegetables and fruit take more space than herbs
@shibham (17025)
The cornered gourd.  - This is a cornered gourd from my garden
Hi, well. I had a flower garden on my front yard and a veg garden on backyard of my old house. Now i have the township and less space to have a garden, still i have managed a small garden on here and planted vegetables specially ladysfinger, bean, cornered gourd, pumpkin, titakerela, bottle gourd and many more and they have grown up healthy. I have a plan to plant flowers once i fill the earth of my campus. here i am attaching a picture of cornered gourd from my garden. have a nice time.
@LittleMel (14055)
nice photo Shibham :) we had beans too they grew nicely, not every year, but when they did they got really tall and we would have enough beans to mix with food every day
@nonersays (2759)
This year I tried to grow some tomato, watermelon, squash and cucumber. I think I managed to kill them all. The tomato and watermelon are still green, but they are still seedling sized and have not grown at all since I planted them in the ground.
@LittleMel (14055)
different seeds have different germination and maturity time a few times I noticed last year's seeds had grown and we thought they wouldn't very rare but it happens so you might have not killed them, they may grow next year instead
@shansavy (172)
• Jamaica
i have a garden that has mostly sunflowers and cactuses, i dont know why but i love cactuses i have all types. they grow very well since we have plenty of sunshine in Jamaica. i am new to the gardening thing but i really enjoy it i hope to plant some vegetables soon
@LittleMel (14055)
with a lot of sun would be easy for plants to grow :) never planted cactus but now you mentioned it, I might try it next year in pots to save space
@kaka135 (14115)
I have a small garden to plan some vegetables in front of my house. I used to plant them for a few years, and they still grow well, if I water them. Sometimes, I am just too lazy to take care of them, but luckily they are easy to grow, and when it's raining, they grow well again. Hence I have them planted well in my garden for so long. I only plant a few types of vegetables which are easy to plant, and every time after I cut the leaves, and the vegetables will still grow again. Hence, I don't need to re-plant.
@LittleMel (14055)
some plants are drought and heat tolerant they don't need much sun and frequent watering we have plants like that we never have to re-plant year after year but I want to try other types as I like working in the garden anyway might as well
@Bebs08 (10689)
yes, I have a garden and I planted vegetables. They grow very well this year, and I am glad the deer and raccoons were can not eat them like the previous years, I was disappointed with my garden because the animals eat my plants. But now, my hubby fenced around my small garden and I am so happy that no animals can ever touch them.
@LittleMel (14055)
it happened to our bok choy some years back rabbits got to them so each time I picked enough for a week and refrigerate them this way there is enough for both animals and us
@drannhh (15240)
I love to garden but my issue is that I am nomadic, so it is not possible to have a normal garden. My grape vines has lovely little round green grapes on them, but by the time I get back from summer vacation they will all be gone. The good news is my neighbor will get to eat them. Basil is one of my favorite herbs to grow because it roots very fast from cuttings and comes in many delightful varieties. Where I am at the moment we have lemons and oranges in abundance. As the trees are old and well-established they do not require a lot of work. We had lots of tomatoes last summer while I was gone and a few when we got back, but then the second season ripened in abundance and there were hundreds still green on the vine in late November. I picked them all and brought them indoors the day before we left on our winter vacation and when we returned in January half of them were red and ripe so we ate them and being back and having the heat on in the house I had to put the rest out in the shed. They all ripened before the warm weather came, so that worked out. I love to experiment with plants and grow different things but as I am nowhere more than 4 months in a row ever, the plants have to have short growing seasons.
@LittleMel (14055)
I can imagine being nomadic and no one at home to tend to the plants/seeds LOL lucky neighbor :) some of our seeds also grew the year after we planted them but with not much of sun they didn't grow well either hopefully this time they will