Euro Prospects: England: Will they finally compete well in a big tournament?

@ram_cv (16516)
England, the home of probably one of the best leagues in the world, has been an eternal struggler in big tournaments. Every time they come into a big tournament, they make huge promises, but deliver almost nothing. Will Roy Hodgson be able to help England finally deliver in a big tournament? Will the likes of Terry, Gerrard, Lampard have one final hurrah in a big tournament? Will the young guns like Rooney, Hart and Walcott finally deliver on the big stage? What are your views on England's chances at the Euros? Cheers! Ram
@lakantar (1575)
• Greece
Unfortunately for England Lampard is off the team due to injury. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/31/euro-2012-frank-lampard-out-england Instead of him England would have Henderson on their squad, so that's a big change for them. They do have talented players once more and some really experienced ones like Gerrard, Terry, Cole,Rooney so all they have to do is to find a way to have high morale in the crucial matches and not to break down under pressure, cause I think most of it England breaks down under pressure in the last years' tournaments.
@ram_cv (16516)
I believe Lampard is to undergo a scan today. Only if it fails then Henderson would come in. BTW, do you know which club is most represented in the England squad. The answer is Liverpool with 5 players if Henderson joins in. Not bad for a club that could only manage a 8th place finish in the EPL. Cheers! Ram
@lakantar (1575)
• Greece
Yeap that's kind of weird but that was expected I suppose. City more or less had 4 English players that were playing (including Barry that picked up an injury) United had Young,Rooney,Welbeck that had a good year and Jones that had a decent season, other than them Evans,Smalling,Cleverly didn't have a good season. Chelsea had the 4 veterans of which 3 of them seem to take part after all with Sturridge not being able to overcome the other forwards of England for a spot in the team. Arsenal is pretty much an international team, with only 4 English players in their roster. Maybe Tottenham could have Lennon and Huddlestone in the English squad.
@ram_cv (16516)
I thought Smalling could have got a England callup. He had a great start to the season, but then his season fell off and it ended pretty poorly. Cheers! Ram
@sishy7 (27592)
I love these kind of tournaments as much as the league games. It's so interesting to see players from different leagues and clubs play together representing their country. (I'm writing this while watching recorded international friendly between USA and Brazil) England..., I don't know... Yes, they seem to have plenty of good players; but when they play together they do not really have the 'chemistry' or something... Germany has always come up with great young players who may surprisingly deliver. Spain is I think the favorite in Euro 2012. They have plenty of good players for every position. Even for goal keeper, they have the luxury to choose between Casillas, Valdes, Degea, and Reina... Btw, USA just scored! 2-1 for Brazil now just before half time...
@ram_cv (16516)
Yes, the Euros is one of the hottest football tournament in the globe. The English players in the last world cup at least looked very jaded and could not perform. Spain and Germany are the favorites currently. Cheers! Ram
@donann80 (151)
Yes it is the second big stage after the WC. I think spain will win. Proberly Germany. England has too many injuries.
@obey39 (125)
Hello,friend.This is an very interesting topic on football.To be honest with you, I will an ardent fans to England Football Association match, and my favorite football team is Manchester United.So I have a knowledge of England Football.In my view, it is uneasy for England to climb on the highest level in a big tournament:1)environment.Sometimes the technique of football in England is too rude, which will make players feel uncomformtable and easily make foul.2)style although, England Football Association plays well in European Club Match, but for native players, their capabilites is not very excellent.3) experience I think that their new coach Roy Hodgson will confront with a lot of issues in n this team.And his ability is still worth testing.
@ram_cv (16516)
Yes, Roy Hodgson comes across as a second rung club manager. His performances with the top clubs has not been very encouraging. So having him as the England manager is a bit of a surprise for me when FA announced it. It was almost a resignation of accepting that England was no longer a top club. Cheers! Ram
Actually, I read that England was the only team that has all its players come from their local league. But well, that's not a guarantee that they will win this championship. With Capello as their coach, I did hope they will win something. But with Hodgson or other England coach, I'm very pessimistic. Still, I support England as my second team after France.
@ram_cv (16516)
Now that Lampard is also injured, things seem to be going worse for the English. Rooney is also not available for the first two league matches. So I think their chances are quite less. Cheers! Ram
@sjlskl (3384)
BPL is good because of the foreign players that is plying their trades there. Take them out, what you have is bloody and gory without my technical flair. As for England's chances in the tournament, next to none. In fact, they would do well to advance from the Group stage. I am predicting France and Ukraine to go through while Sweden has always been a tough opposition for the three lions.
@ram_cv (16516)
Today, the news of Lampard's going out of the tournament has come. Also, I was looking at Gary Neville's press conference where he was urging the fans to have realistic hopes of England's chances. Looks like the management team has already thrown down the towel before the tournament begins. Cheers! Ram
@kun2349 (23475)
England can never make it in big tournaments because they are playing far too many games in domestic leagues and cup games England always do well during qualifying because players are fit since they are playing regularly. When it comes to end of season, instead of getting the rest they wanted, they get burned out when they have to prepare for some major tournaments again. Look at Torres, before he played for liverpool in EPL, he's really good, never had a tired day when playing for Atletico Madrid. But during the 2nd season with liverpool, he's completely burned out due to his involvement with World up back then. As such, with such intensity in EPL, england would never make it or win anything.
@ram_cv (16516)
Yes, you observation is correct. They looked really jaded at the last World Cup. In fact one of the images of the World Cup was a really tired Gareth Barry trying to jog back and German youngster, I think it was Muller, dashed in to score the third goal. Cheers! Ram
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Apparently, they won't be playing in red AT ALL during this tournament. If they don't play in white they will play in god-awful blue (the kit they played in against Norway the other night) and it looks like a naff P.E. kit from school..and since when has there been blue on the England flag? Can you imagine the Scots playing in red? It amounts to the same thing. So, what do I think our chances are? ZERO!
@ram_cv (16516)
Wow!! :) So the kit color is the reason for their zero chances. :) Cheers! Ram
@adhyz82 (36262)
i dont think about the chance of England.. even with their best team,they are so failed in the tournament.. can you think what the big blow for england?? they can`t play with their best forward rooney, in first and second game and do you know who is their opponent in first game?? France.. oh my God...
@ram_cv (16516)
Yes, Rooney is banned from the first two games for his stupid mistake. Also I think appointing Roy Hodgson as the manager was a backward step in my humble opinion. Another bit of bad news coming in is Lampard is injured and might miss the tournament. Cheers! Ram