No large sodas in New York?! ( a rant)

I heard on the View that in New York they are banning large sodas in restaurants . Really? So the Food Nazis if people can't get a large soda they will drink less. No! Can you say free refills? Even the doctor that came in later said it wouldn't work. ' They will just get angry and order two!"If I were New Jersey, I would set up soda vending machines all across the border so people can get their food in NY and get the soda in NJ!Finally this rule wouldn't effect me. I usually get a small soda with no ice! And if I am thirsty I would get home and have a soda at home. and I wonder if people will need to prove they are having a party Before they can buy those 2 liter bottles at the supermarket. I wonder if the Food Nazis are recruiting spies. They follow each customer home and check ad see if they are really sharing that large soda! Lol! Yet another rule that is trying to force people eat what the state Says you Have to eat.Like most of these rules it will backfire. Your thoughts.
I completely agree with you. This new law is not going to stop people from buying the same amount, even if it's a bit more expensive. Then think of soda and caffeine and sugar addicts on low incomes, who are just going to pay MORE to get what they want. Are they going to say it's illegal to buy sodas with foodstamps now? Or is it, already?
I don't know. let me check.
Now as much as I was trying to convert to over to a healthier eater ha ha, I think this is taking this healthy thing a little too far. People can be healthy and still like a soda every now and then. Some people need a large size because they don't want three small ones spilling in their cars. I wish the government would fix what they need to fix like the environmental problems and our economy and let people drink what they want to. Trying to get people to eat healthier is one thing but telling them they can't buy a large drink is taking this babysitting a little too far.
It is going to get worse before it gets better. they will Try to make all these rules . People will find other ways to get what they want! and it will take a huge loss of the taxes the states get for these goods because we go to the black market for things tp gp back to normal.But I could be wrong. Frito Lay and Coke have enough money to buy the Congressmen they need to keep things they they are!
@inertia4 (27395)
The Mayor is a moron. Believe me. That is not going to work. He not only is trying to ban large sugary drinks at restaurants but also in ball parks and other venues as well. This will backfire on the city. No one has the right to tell people what they can or cannot eat or drink. What they should be doing is to investigate all those corporate farms where they are pumping up all the animals with steroids. And whatever else they are doing. That is really what is effecting everyones health. Look, I think by now everyone knows that fast food is not healthy for you, but they have no clue what is in the food we buy. The meat primarily. And also some of the fruits and vegetables are also injected. Nothing is fresh anymore. But doing what they Mayor wants to do is plain stupid.
You are right there, in New York. Questions. One will this move make the mayor lose his next election? and what would you do? Just order the food and get the drink at the supermarket? Order two? Or just drive/ ride to New Jersey? Somehow I think New York's lost in new Jersey's gain.
@inertia4 (27395)
For starters, the mayor cannot run again. after this he is done. Second, people will be either bringing in their own drinks or will not go to the venue period. I for one will not bother going all the way to New Jersey. But I feel that this whole thing the mayor wants to do will not come to pass.
So this is the cr@p a lame duck comes up with! Am I glad I'm in Virginia, where All drinks are 1.00 at McDonalds!
@JJ4Ever (4696)
Hi Sarah, You know me...I had to look into this further, so I read the following article on the issue: http://www.wibw.com/home/nationalnews/headlines/New_York_City_Seeks_To_Ban_Big_Sodas_From_Restaurants_Food_Carts_155983665.html The main two companies that will take the biggest hit if this is passed are Coca Cola and McDonalds. This discussion reminds me of yours on vegetables where the government thinks it can force us to eat them. Let me tell you, that is not going to happen! The issue is the same here. If you "ban" or "limit" something, people will just work harder to get it and to have it. I went to a pretty strict private college back in the day, and when we had rules forbidding us to do something, we just worked a little harder to do it anyway, covering our tracks along the way, so to speak - lol! I don't think this new "idea" the New York Board of Health has is going to work. I think their motives might be ok - to control obesity - but their reasoning is flawed. Consumption of "sugary drinks" such as pop/soda only contributes to obesity; the article doesn't confirm that it's even the main cause of obesity. So why bother? I think it's going to be a waste of time and money. Hopefully the residents of New York will fight against this. We live in a free country where we should be able to make our own decisions. When the government tries to get involved and tell us what we can and cannot do, that's when I get upset! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for nutrition and being healthy. A few years ago, my mother-in-law stopped drinking pop/soda completely and lost 50 lbs.! Good for her. However, that doesn't mean the case will be the same for everyone, you know? Obesity would be different for each person, so it's really on an individual level. I went without pop/soda for two years straight once. I felt good, but now I drink it here and there because I enjoy it and because I can - LOL! I just think the government needs to stop trying to control everything, health related or not. If people really want to be healthy and lose weight, they will do it themselves. They don't need the government to do it for them! America needs to spend its time on more important things anyway (like the war and national debt maybe)!
All MCDonalds has to do is set up more restaurants in NJ just across the border of NY.And Coke will just add more Coke machines Just across the border in NJ. If I were a citizen, I would order food but No soda at the restaurants and then go to NJ for the soda if I were That close to the border! NY's lost is NJ's gain. If the food Nazis said I couldn't have soda, I wouldn't drink Anything. I don't drink water , not any juices , it is soda! thank G-d I don't live in New York. And if I did I would drink at home. I guess the Food Nazis will have to try to stop the supermarkets from selling soda. Good Luck!
@JJ4Ever (4696)
Yes, I agree. I don't think the issue here is the drink itself. It's more the fact that the government is trying to take things away. I'd fight back just like you said. I'd keep my own stash at home by buying my drinks at the store and across the state border if I had to. We actually did things like this and didn't even realize it! Tim Horton's isn't as readily available in the South (since it is based out of Canada, I think), but my family from Tennessee absolutely loves it. They stock up on tins of ground coffee when they're here in Michigan until the next time they come up. When we went to college in Florida, they didn't used to have Vernors or Faygo down there (although I think they might now). So we'd stock up for each semester when we were at home and then enjoy the stash when we went back to school. The government can do what it wants, but we'll find a way to get around it!
Yes Tim Horton's is the Bob Big boy of Canada. Or at least that is how I remember my friend explain it to me! I have a story like this. I was born in Philly . My mother's best friend told me this story. She had friends who would drive down from NY and they would pack an empty suitcase and they would fill it with cheesesteaks!
@GreenMoo (11842)
Laughable! I think that all diners should be required to show ID before they are sold a soda of any description, and records should be kept to ensure that they are not drinking more than their allotted quota. The harshest punishments should be meted out to those who are caught taking a sneaky sip of sodas belonging to friends and families.
And with the first offense you get 5 years in jail , second os 15 more years , thord is life in prison!
@peavey (16306)
You two had better be careful in what you post about this... you might be giving them ideas!
@GreenMoo (11842)
I don't think any of us need worry that they'll be calling on Sarah or I for advice. They've no need, as they seem to have plenty of ludicrous ideas of their own.
@JenInTN (27565)
I would think that in New York they would have more to worry about than someone ordering a large soda...lol. It really aggravates me that they have the nerve to mention such things when there are so many other things that could really use attention.
I keep picturing them Having to build a soda drinkers prison. Or they will free criminals to put a person in who dared to have a extra large soda with dinner.
@JenInTN (27565)
@peavey (16306)
This is a silly, useless law. As everyone else has pointed out, there are so many ways to get around it that it's absurd. Why do they spend time and money on such ridiculous things instead of addressing things that really matter? I have a theory that they spend time on things like this while putting off more serious things because they don't want to tackle them.
It seems like they don't have any good ideas.
@peavey (16306)
Well, if they think that governing a city or a state means making new laws, I can understand why! How many new laws are there to be made? Sooner or later, they'll run out of good ones and what's left is foolish or worse.
@bounce58 (17524)
I think I heard this a couple of weeks ago when the late night talk shows were laughing about this ban. I think it's a bit of an insult to the intelligence of the people too. Because if one can't buy on large soda, then I'm sure it would be just as easy to buy two regular ones.
My McDonalds has free refills! And every size soda is 1.00!
@jillhill (37384)
That's one of the most insane things I have heard for a long time....when will it stop? You shouldn't try to delegate what people eat or drink..isn't that what Hitler did? Total control? I would seriously wonder about the mayor....though I heard he is promoting donuts....what's up with that?
It is going to backfire. More soda will be consumed! And the Mayor may just lose his job!
@lady1993 (16391)
Yeah, i don't think it would be very effective.. since people could just buy more drinks.. I wonder why food there is all so huge though.. like the drinks, the burger, the subway sandwich.. wow.
That is a great point. back in my day a quarter pounder was the largest burger. subway was a local place and Wendy's was a dream, lol. most dinners were still be cooked by mom at home. and what we call a small drink was the large. I don't have a problem with the large sizes but they should bring back the smaller size drinks.I wonder if that could be a better way, offer smaller sizes Along with what they have now!
@Dominique25 (9476)
Yeah that is pretty crazy. They go through a lot to try and make all these crazy changes. It's really silly the laws and rules that they come up with. It's like who thought of that?
Some Fod Noazi thinks they can treat the American people like children! Well it isn't going to work. they Will find a way to get what they want!