Our family weekend away

We went away this weekend to visit my mother-in-law. We live in a town and she lives in the countryside, in a village where there is one shop and two pubs, and nothing else. I wasn't sure how the kids would like it, but they really enjoyed wandering around the fields and the lake, looking for wildlife. Its a bit too quiet for me, and the kids were disappointed that their grandmother only had the 5 basic tv channels, but they seemed to have fun anyway. It was nice to see them running around outdoors instead of playing computer games and watching tv.
@petersum (4526)
"one shop and two pubs" I'm glad to see the villagers have their priorities right! Joking aside, it is time to appreciate true entertainment. We get stuck on our computers too much and don't even speak to other members of our community face to face.
I agree! We did go to the pub, late in the evening after the kids were asleep and my mother-in-law was back from her socialising. There were young children there until midnight or later, I suppose its a totally different culture there. In our town, kids aren't allowed in pubs after 7pm.
I wish I lived in the country... but I would want more than 5 channels on tv lol. I live in the city by a hospital so I hear the spirit helicopter and ambulances all the time and LOTS of traffic. It is way too noisy. My brother has a beautiful place in the country and it is so peaceful! Then when night time hits you have a gorgeous view of the stars in the sky! something the city doesn't offer
@MandaLee (3738)
I love the peace and quiet of the countryside. Your children are blessed to be able to spend time with their grandmother. My Granny passed two years ago and I miss her every day. Grandmothers are a blessing to be cherished and treasured.
Adrian wants me to come to his mothers house soon. I don't think so because,it is slow there and there is nothing for me to do after they go to bed at 7pm. Plus,like you said the tv channels would kill me. I need to watch my soaps. LOL call me crazy but,that is just one of my treats.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
Hi marianne, very nice...Its always nice when we can get away especially with family. I am sue the kids expeeienced things that was new to them, while on their adventure. I am happy they were able to experience outdoors instead of the computers.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I acutally enjoy the countryside a whole bunch. Now as a kid when we'd go up to visit my great grandparents it'd be difficult sometimes as I might want the entertainment of t.v. but not have it. I did however like walking around their homes and enjoying the scenery and fresh air. They lived in the mountains and the view was spectacular. I remember one great grandmother had a t.v. but few channels, and all I could get was the weather really. She had an old piano with keys that didn't work and board games though, that I'd enjoy playing with. Sometimes my great cousins would visit and we'd play with them. We get so attached to the computer and t.v. now though, it's crazy. Still i think I could enjoy a quiet day out in the country over computers anyday.