Will my daughter be okay?

I just found out that my baby girl has anemia. She is almost 10 months old, and my first daughter. I'm worried because none of my other children had this illness and I know very little about it. We are giving her medication, and I'm wondering if this is a lifetime thing, will I have to worry about blood transfusions if she builds up too much iron in her blood. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?
hi phillydreamer! i am sorry to hear that your daughter has this condition and also as a mother, empathetic about your concern! but i have had this condition before and it got better with vitamins and nutrition changes....it is very important to seek and follow medical advice especially with a child this young but i was an adult and had to be very careful...it can and will get better! take good care of your daughter and be positive.
Well the medication the doctor prescribed seems to be helping as her hands and feet feel warmer, so I'm going to take that as a positive.
@Trensue (5252)
We have had a life long experience with this condition. It is not uncommon and there are many different reinstatement and causes. When my brother needs transfusions he has banked his own blood then it has been medicated and pumped back into his own system. He is the only one in the family that does it this way, but his has other complications. I use mostly diet to treat the problem, but I have to check it weekly.
I'm hoping diet is all we need for her, because i dont even want to think about that other stuff.
@Trensue (5252)
what advice did the doctor give you?
He just prescribed some medication. I'll get more out of him on the next visit.
I'm so sorry to hear this. You're baby's too little to be suffering from this. Anyway, i haven't experienced this but i know that she needs iron. Hope that it won't get too serious to lead to blood transfusion. I think it's not a lifetime thing. Wishing health for your baby.
Thanks, I'm hoping its not a lifetime thing. I started checking the labels on the baby food we are giving her, and I started feeding her the ones with more Iron.
Geting anemia in small baby reason for mother if mother health is not well then child ssuffer this type promble
• Pakistan
Hi! Anemia is the medical term for a deficiency of blood specifically red blood cells that carry oxygen. It can occur simply due to a deficient diet. Its very common in children to develop this deficiency. You need to talk to your doctor about investigating what the cause. She may not be taking enough iron in her diet and that has resulted in this deficiency. So you can start her on supplemental iron or better yet incorporate foods containing iron in to her diet. Unless you fin and out the exact nature, i don't think there is any cause to worry. Here in my country majority females population suffers from anemia and they don't even know about it! Meaning they function normally! Lemme know what becomes of it and if i can be any further help!
We are waiting for results on her twin brother, and if they both are suffering from it, we may look into the diet. Right now we have her on an iron supplement I believe, so hopefully that will do the trick.
• Pakistan
Good hopefully everything will turn out fine!
I was anemic as a child and it was far from a lifelong thing. I simply ate more foods with iron content. Living on a farm made it easy to get fresh, luscious veggies that contain lots of it. I didn't take any iron medications because the food change did the trick. Good luck with your baby. I know she will be just fine.
I'm inspecting the labels in the baby food I feed her, and I'm noticing certain foods have more iron, so hopefully that's all I'll have to do for her.
@banx03 (6)
i'm really sorry anaemia has no cure but can be managed the best way possible by letting your daughter take the enough food rich in iron basically and minerals
She's just so little, its frustrating that I cant protect her from this. Hopefully we can control it, and we never have to go through the hard stuff associated with it.
I have this and I know about what I go through. I had three transfusions before an operation I had. I am cold all the time because of this. I take iron pills in the winter to help me feel warmer. I don't take them in the summer of i will be on fire. Just go to the doctor and get what ever he gives you. feel her hands and feet if they feel cold or you see her keeping on something with sleeves just let her. Try not ot keep her in the cold air conditioned room until you can see she is in need of it. If she is sweating a little in the summer you know she is good. because her blood levels will be normal after a while on the meds. I am sorry I will not be here later to read your response. But,try not to worry she will be just fine.
She always feels cold to touch, though when we take her temperature it's normal. We are starting her on the medicine, so I'll keep an eye out on her when she is in the sun. Dis you have anemia your whole life?