Fastfood service is going downhill fast

When I get fast food via drive-thru, I expect to get a straw for my drink, a spoon or fork for my side and the sauce for dipping that I asked for. If I say no pickles or no ketchup, that means I don't want to find pickles or ketchup on it. Then there are times I have entire items just missing from my bag. I shouldn't have to remind them to do their job or ask twice almost every time I get fast food. It's even worse when I discover these things only after I've driven away. I am understanding that people make mistakes, and that is totally acceptable. And i am actually very nice when my orders are messed up. But after it happens over and over again, it gets tiresome. I worked a drive-thru when I was a teen and I put myself in a hungry customer's shoes every day. I never even forgot the napkins. It just seems like only lazy people and complete imbeciles work at these places now. Fastfood is not a highly desirable or respected job, but it's still a job. You can still take pride in your work and do your best.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
I have worked in a fast food restaurant and felt the stress that those in the back feel. It's not an easy job by any means. So when things are missing from my order I understand and I am nice about it. I have family who will never go back to the restaurant if it happens more then a few times. Recently I went to sheetz, it's a gas station that also has a food place in it. I ordered some food and when I got home I discovered there was no ranch for me to use, nor were there any olives that I asked for. So a few days later we go back, I have my receipt and they not only give me a refund for my purchase, they also make it again and correct this time, and they give me a $10 gift card to be used on anything in their store. I know that it's incentive for them to not mess up, because really, who wants to have to refund money, then REMAKE the item and on top of that give away $10 free?? I find the most commonly forgotten item is the straw or napkins, extra ketchup packets or usually ADDING or EXCLUDING things from an order, especially hamburger's. They make them so fast, and sometimes the person in front or behind you ordered the same thing, only customized, that you get theirs instead.
We have Sheetz where I live. I think it's awesome that they did all that for you. I would love to have management be that courteous.
@PoppaDave (438)
I have thought about starting a web page exposing crappy service at restaraunts. The header would be: 'If the cook is angry, don't eat the food'. I would expose companies and employees for being rude and for making these careless mistakes over and over, posting place and time of the incidents. I would offer a secret shopper service that gives a company immunity from my site if they pay me to weed the little snots from the ranks of their service nd they act to better the service they provide. It would be a free speech and controversial site, because I would youtube link it with videos...
I think your idea is really cool. You should look into that. It could help consumers learn where not to go and maybe teach those restaurants what they need to improve.
hi lovelyxodd! my first job was at a fast food restaurant as well...i tried to do a good job but the manager was really mean and i think had a scam going....every week someone's drawer would be short and she would take the money from the person's pay and i think she kept it...also a lot of customers were really rude...this job helped me become determined to go to college and study so i could have a job that i was happier in and more fulfilled...
@PageTurner (2827)
Hello LovelyxOdd I have been wondering if, to save money, fast food establishments are now telling their employees not to include any condiments, napkins, straws, etc., unless the customer specifically asks for them. It seems ridiculous to me that these things are considered optional now. Some years ago when I was on this site, I did a discussion on having ordered a dozen cheeseburgers to go, only to get home (26 miles away) to discover that there was no meat on the cheeseburgers. Only bread and cheese.
@Chikezie (386)
My answer is capital NO. Rather it getting on the increase with increase in speed in everything in our world. I think faster food will have to made to meet up in everything or else, men will have to find substitute As it is rising so it will demand more work from people. You are right that fastfood are not highly desirable and respected job but it has to be done. If I work there, I would but give my best.
I´d say fastfood went down the hill a long time ago. I remember a time when eating pizza or a hamburher was a real treat. Now I´d use it only as an alternative if I was starving. I have seen tomatoes with blisters caused by bugs and pickles older than myself. Whwen I have asked for more mayo, it seems that the place will go to bankrupcy if they give it to me: the people there give me a really mean look. So, I eat at home, make my own burgers and accept invitations to elegant restaurants.
I enjoy eating at home much more. But sometimes we don't have time to cook or much in the pantry, so we must resort to going and getting a quick bite to eat.
I imagine that in part it is cultural. I can make a good meal in a little bit over than 10 minutes and I hate to drive so going anywhere to eat is a pain unless someone takes me. In my country if you buy at the super the amount or money that you spend in the worst fastfood chain in 2 days, you can eat wonders (and have your pantry and fridge full) for a week.
@jambi462 (4598)
I haven't eaten fast food in probably three years and it's because I would rather not put that nasty stuff into my body. I would recommend you do the same especially since you're not getting good service as well. I wish that more people would just go to the deli or something like that because there are much better quality food places that are local and not chains that provide food that's much healthier for us.
Wow, I can't believe that. I end up eating fast food way more than I want to because it's so convenient and because my husband is has a super fast metabolism and is really skinny and he can eat that stuff all day, every day.
I hate to do drive-thru, because for the most part it is not fast or efficient and as you point out it is also often incorrect. If the person filling the order is anywhere over about fifteen years old, they should know what the customer wants and expects and should care about it. For the younger ones I will say that they are clueless and the fast food places are not making it a priority to find management individuals who help them learn how to get it right. I like what you say about putting yourself in a hungry customer's shoes. It is a true picture of good service. Anywhere we eat, if we receive exceptionally good service we try to put that out there to management, as well as complaining about the bad service. Often they are surprised to hear us say anything good. For the price of fast food anymore, we should be receiving so much more. I often had just as soon have a sandwich from home or go to a real restaurant with real plates.
I totally hear you on the price aspect. We went to Taco Bell recently, and for three people it was $25. That is too expensive in my opinion for fast food. Prices are definitely not worthy of the quality of food or service which is received.
• Guyana
is this happening at one specific place or is it just all the fastfood places you go to? I think that the fact is the workers have to keep up with a large amount of customers at once because it is extremely rare to find a drive-thru or fast food to have only a few customers there and that can be also be held responsible for the workers forgetting something you said or some part of a meal. This can just be a simple mistake, i'm not saying however that there aren't lazy people working there because i'm sure there are but thats just not always the case
It's at many different fast food places. Various locations and various companies. Not every single one, but too many in general. It shouldn't be this problematic so often.
@mythociate (15963)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Can't you go to Yelp.com or isn't there someplace online where you can send complaints, get some people fired, and maybe offer suggestions to help?
I advise that you eat as less fastfood as possilble for your health. But if you insist,just accept the reality that junk food service is being improved but still unsatisfying. You should understand there are so many customers everyday and they are too busy to get every demand. You said you forget things after driving, then why don't you remember your demand before driving away? That's only what I want to say.Thanks.
@cerebellum (3871)
I have noticed that one place never gets your order right. It gets so frustrating, and I have to check to see what is in the bag before I drive off. Some places I never have any trouble, so I think it depends more on the employees. Some people just don't take it seriously, but it's still a job and we still have to pay for the food and the service.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I have learned not to pull away before at least checking to see that everything is there. They always forget something.
@dream_ozn (1758)
hi lovelyxodd, i think you are right. that those people working in the drive thru are simply lazy and don't take their job seriously. i think this has to do with the training in that particular fast-food restaurant. perhaps the fast food drive thru that you frequent is a franchise one? So they themselves will do the training and therefore, the training might not be good, resulting in unhappy customer. perhaps you can feedback to the restaurant?
@adforme (2116)
Fast food is something I rarely get. There are somethings that I just go gaga for. Mainly Burger King items. The hersheys chocolate pie, french fries and a grilled chicken sandwich. I would hope that the people working in any restaurant have a good work ethic. I know it can be a tough job to have, but it is a job. On the day that it gets to be too much, the worker should look for something else. Burger King has been getting star power in their commercials lately. If you have seen them lately, you will see they have had Steven Tyler from the rock band Aerosmith and the actress Salma Hayek. The real stars are the ones that work to provide customer service and make the restaurant a place worth going to for a meal. Even Burger King can be a complete turn off if I see, hear, or experience anything that is problematic. There are a lot of factors that make one restaurant better than another. Sometimes it is the area of town, sometimes it is management. Anyway, you take your chances when someone else is preparing your meal.
I think as consumers we have a job to do as well as the fast food people. We have to take our orders back and expect good service. No, we shouldn't have to remind them to do their jobs but we must carry through when they don't. If not how does the place know there is a problem and fix it? And if it happens too many times I would go elsewhere. I have enough fast food places in my town that I can go to a different McDonald's or whatever if I don't get the service I expect from the one I usually go to.