I think I want carpet now...

I really like having hard wood floors but,I am so tired of mopping. I think I will look into getting carpet on the floor. I mop a lot because I walk around in my socks. I get tired of my white socks getting dirty. so,I started buying black ones. but,now I find myself changing them so often. I wonder how expensive carpet is now.
@ShyBear88 (17699)
Even on carpet its not any better. It's easier to clean hardwood floors then carpet. Because if you stain a carpet you have to pull up either the whole floor or a small part and some times you can tell it's been taken up a small area because there is no way to lay it down where it'll look right. Right now I would love some hard wood floors yes carpet is cheaper to buy but over all to keep clean it's a b!tch.
I had no thought of this at all. I think I would rather wood floors in this situation as well. I will see what is on the floor where I am going to see tonight.
I think carpet is very useful thing because using carpet you can decorate your home very well.. carpet is cheaper then hard wood floors..
@ShyBear88 (17699)
There is pros and cons to any flooring. My mom and dad just bought new floor they are pulling up the basement carpet and putting down laminate which isn't a bad choice. I like hard wood floor but it's also expensive some times more expensive then carpet. But if I was redoing floors it would depend on where in the house which room it was or is going in. Both me, my mom, my brother, and one of my sister-in-laws have worked or still do work at home depot so we know a lot about certain things floor is one of them. I worked in that department a long with pain and windows. Engineer wood is good it has some real wood in it, but its more holds up a lot easier then real wood and carpet. It looks and feels like wood but it doesn't can be damaged as easily. So if someone dropped a knives or some how scratched the floor it wouldn't leave a mark and if it did you can take a every soft towel and just wipe with and it's gone. Bedrooms I'm all for carpet.
• Pakistan
Hi! i would stick with the hardwood! Stay far away from carpet! Its not really a solution as its crazily hard to clean and its not like you can walk barefoot on it! Totally ruins one's feet so stay far far away from carpets. It also contributes to exacerbation in asthma! At least you can guarantee your house is clean when you mop it!! Not something which can swear to in case of carpets.
again something i never thought about with carpet. I am going to hope this new place had wood or tile on it.. thanks.
I have carpet, and I wish I didn't. The apartment complex cleaned it before I moved in, but it didn't remove the huge stains other people left on it. I had to buy a huge rug, but even that didn't hide all of the stains. PLUS, carpet is really bad for allergies. As much as I like carpet better in general, I wish I had the hardwood floors. It's better for my health, and although it wouldn't seem easier to keep clean, the carpet really hides the dirt the vacuum doesn't get.
@sacmom (14315)
I'm not sure how expensive carpet is. I guess it all depends on the kind you want. It's funny, you want carpet, I want vinyl. Okay, so I'd rather have hardwood, but I can't afford that, so I'll take vinyl instead. As much as I love carpet, it's a PITA to clean, especially with 3 very active men in the house. At least with having vinyl or some other non-carpet flooring, hubby or I can just sweep or mop up any mess that comes up. Happy mylotting!
oh gosh! Thanks for the chuckle. Me thinks you got OCD. I'm the same way. I sweep about 4 times a day if necessary. I see dirt that no one else sees. A speck on the floor and I'm going to sweep, even though my daughter swept up before. The next time someone goes out and comes in I'll see MORE dirt on the floor and I'll sweep again. I don't mind sweeping or mopping, but I don't like vacuuming. My daughter does that.
@roshigo58 (4871)
• Pune, India
hi, Yes you are right. Mopping of floor avoids because of carpet. Carpet changes get up of our room. It loos very decent. And moreover you need not wear socks , as well as there is no tiredness at all as there will be no mopping of the floor. No doubt it is littlebit expensive but worthwhile getting for fulfilling your need.
What about the stains? It stays and its really hard to get off and you'll sometimes need to remove the carpet and install a new one!
@asliah (11148)
hi, i think carpet is really expensive because when i had to canvas a cheap carpet it is still expensive,its really good if the house have a carpet so its more easy to clean it,coz now i have wood floors and i need to apply some wax so that it will shine.
@suspenseful (40316)
With carpets, you have to clean them and get out the steam cleaner or rent one. Carpets are expensive unless you get those basic nylon ones like what they have in schools. My house is carpeted except for the unfinished basement, bathroom, and kitchen. The thing is when I was young, carpeting was just coming in and most of the houses had hardwood floor but it was not the hardwood we have now so it needed a lot of work. I was thinking maybe a compromise. For instance, keep the bedrooms with hardwood floors, but carpet the living room and the main area. You could also use throw rugs. I think the price is from $5 a square foot up, but have not done any shopping for carpets for a long time.
@kukueye (1761)
Carpet is hot , - Need alot of vacuuming and dry cleaning.
CArpet comes with my price range and quality in my place here , if the count how many stictes per inch square , the more the better the quality and expensive.Next is the wool used or materiel used to made the carpet.PErsonally the weather here is hot and sometime wet , carpet is not good choise because it will be dusty , smelly and dirty fast in my climate here.
@dansazz (1059)
Well carpet will require just as much keeping up. You might not have dirty socks as often, but you will be vacuuming more. lol like you didn't already know that. Are you going to put the carpet on top of the wood floors? I seen some shows where they are trying to sell the house and when they pull up the carpet they find wood floors underneath. That added value to the house.
@xblitzx (10)
If you are the only one in your home hen I recommend carpets! But if u have little kids in your house just flying through dropping food everywhere just stick with hard wood! And specially if you have a dog or cat just keep the hard wood :D
Carpeting is horrible. It traps dirt and allergens. You are far better off with wood floors. Once we are in our own space, I will never install carpeting--just a throw rug or two. I've hated having to deal with it in the rentals where we've lived, and it has done nothing good for my allergies. My top choice would likely be pine floors--warm, inviting and inexpensive. Pine quickly takes on a "lived-in" look, because it shows wear, but I like that rustic sort of look.
@laken02 (3067)
i know how you feel, sometomes i get aggrivated at our carpet, i hate to vaccum worse then anything, becasue i hate dragging that big cord around the house , before i had a shark that was cordless and i loved it, but one hubby said it did not pick up as much as a reg vac and but i still used it, and then i somehow eneded up losing the cord to recharce it.. he bought me a new vac, and i still hate vaccuming.. im not usre how much carppet is, but i would think its quite expensive
I would rethink that. All that dirt that is getting on your socks will then be IN your carpeting and you will be living in that dirt. I hate carpeting. I vacuum daily and I cannot imagine that the container that I dump out each day would be embedded in my carpeting. Carpeting is very bad for allergies and just the health of your lungs in general. The dust and the toxic chemicals are enough to keep me with hard wood forever.
@MandaLee (3738)
Hi Sharon, We have a floor that is great. Our floor looks exactly like hardwood, but it is really vinyl, LOL. I hope that is helpful. Have a great week!
@winterose (39918)
look for the sales
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
I have experienced living with carpet, wooden floors, tiles and ceramic tiles. The best for me is the ceramic tiles. Ceramic tiles are less work in my opinion. Rugs no matter how much you vacuum they hold to much dirt inside which causes sneezing and other allergies. You have to always worry about spilling stuff on the carpets. If you have a dog or cat and they get fleas the fleas will trive in the carpet. On top of all that to keep them clean is hard and very expensive. Depending on how big the rooms are carpets can be very expensive. I have ceramic tiles throughout my home right now and all I have to do is clean with a mop and soap,and its done 1,2,3. I love it!
@Lorden (348)
• South Africa
Well I believe I might have a suggestion that will get rid of all your worries and not cost a cent: Just walk barefoot indoors :)
Carpet may pose a new set of problems. -Siplled drinks on carpet =Crumbs in carpet -Sharp objects dropped on carpet (a pin, for example!). I couldn't stand carpet after I accidentally dropped a phonograph needle from my old Victrola, and stepped on the damn thing at 3 AM in my bare feet. OUCH!!!!