Interesting weekend..

So, here's the latest, and hopefully last installment of "My Sister In Law Is An Idiot" posts. A few weeks ago was the burial for hubby's parents. His sister organized the whole thing, and it was far from anything my in-laws would have wanted. It was all SIL's show.. as usual. After the burial she invited everyone out to eat.. which we did not attend as we do not get along with 90% of the family. They're all rich snobs who feel that we are lower than dirt for not having any money. They've also listened to all SIL's rants about us being freeloaders.. and they don't speak to us so they believe her because none of them know us. So, SIL starts telling people that she has asked for some things that used to belong to her parents, and that hubby is not letting her have them. Truth is, hubby did say she could have them (although in the will everything was left to him), but that all the stuff was buried in the garage and when we got around to cleaning it out we'd contact her. She didn't bother mentioning this part when she was telling the family about this. So the snooty side of the family calls Aunt Doris (the only person in the family we like, and who likes us), who then calls us and gets the full story. So, Aunt Doris sends us some money to get a dumpster, but still we don't have time. Hubby works 50 hours a week, and is currently working on an ongoing septic issue. I work and go to school.. not to mention we have 5 kids. So, earlier last week Snooty Aunt Tam calls hubby to say she and SIL will be over on the weekend to pick up the stuff SIL wanted. They heard we'd gotten the dumpster so just assumed they could come for the stuff. Needless to say I was not happy with the idea that Tam had to come. I haven't seen her since my twins were born, and they're 9 now. She hasn't attempted to contact us, she didn't even contact my in laws before they died. Turns out, the only reason Tam was coming was to let SIL know what was worth something and what wasn't. Real nice, huh? Well, hubby called SIL and told her she was childish for making Tam call us instead of doing it herself, and since they chose when to do it, they'd be the ones cleaning out the garage since we didn't have the time. SIL wasn't pleased with this, but she also did not say she wouldn't do it. So Sunday rolls around, and unannounced Aunt Doris shows up. She's not at all happy with Tam or SIL for all of this.. and she was happy to let them know it. She and SIL haven't gotten along in over 20 years anyways, and nobody has ever really liked Tam (who's married to Doris's brother Frank.. Doris and Frank were my FIL's siblings). SIL also knows I'm not at all happy with her because I let her know exactly what I thought of her in an e-mail back when FIL died. My disdain for her goes all the way back to when I first met my husband.. but that's another story that I've already told many of you. So, they show up Sunday afternoon. Doris and I are sitting on one side of the house where the kids are playing with the slip n' slide. The other side of the house, near the garage, is all dug up because hubby is working on the septic. Most of what is over there is all sewage because of the back up we're having. It's obviously sewage due to the smell and sight of it. Nobody could mistake it for mud or anything else. However, to avoid Doris and I, SIL and Tam walk right through the sewage to get to the garage.. then have to come over and ask for the house to spray their feet off. The rest of the time they were there, SIL did not come out of the garage. She and Tam moved a lot of things out of the garage to get to what they wanted, while my husband made trips to the dumpster. I wasn't happy that he was helping, I thought they should have done it all themselves, but hubby was in no mood to be argued with. He just wanted to get it over with. Guess he was right because tonight I went to work on the garage some more and found a giant mess outside of the garage that they had left. I was so mad, I wanted to call SIL and tell her she needed to come clean it up! But I didn't. So now that she has what she wanted, we're hoping to be done with her. She has no reason to contact us, and we certainly won't be contacting her. Hubby says if she does ever show up here again I have his permission to beat her face in.. which is what I've always wanted to do! Doris was cordial the whole time, though hubby things she may have had a word with Tam that he didn't overhear, only because he saw a sudden shift in Tam's attitude at one point. Shortly there after Doris left, and me and the kids went inside leaving hubby, SIL, and Tam to the garage. I didn't even catch a glimpse of SIL the whole time.. which is probably a good thing because if I had seen her I may not have been able to control my anger towards her. So, that was my weekend.. well part of it anyway. The rest of it was spent working on the septic which I think we're nearly close to fixing. How was your weekend?
Well first with the positive. Glad to hear you feel that you nearly have the septic fixed. SIL sounds like a piece of work to say the very least. People like her are amazing. Money hungry, stingy, cheap, selfish, --- and I could go on and on. Be glad that this is the last time you will have to have anything to do with this woman. Sad that she has to be this way. And it really says alot for your husband for how he is handling the entire thing. I work hard to get through it and not have to be around her anymore than you must. Then I would write her off as a pitiful IL and go forward knowing you did the right thing and that you have the best part of that family right there with you. I do wonder how folks will act when it comes her time. Hmm?
I've been wondering the same thing myself for years. She is so petty and has taken sides with the snooty side of the family.. but like her, they only care about themselves. They won't reach out to her or contact her, she will be the one contacting them. She doesn't have anyone else, because everyone else is against her now.
I wouldn't think about it too much. She is who she is and that isn't going to change. You really don't need her in your life. And she will be alone.
Thanks for the BR!
@jillhill (37384)
At least that is behind you now.....I spent the weekend resting up as I just returned from vacation...and I needed a good rest. I ended up with a horrible cold and sooo I had no ambition. Hope by now the sewage problem has been fixed....
The sewage problem is finally fixed, thank goodness. I hope you are feeling better!
@GreenMoo (11842)
Are you SURE this is the last post about SIL? I've a feeling she'll pop up in your life again sometime. The bad 'uns always do. You did make me laugh telling how they walked through sewage to avoid you! You should have told them the water had been cut whilst you were working on the tank when they asked to hose off ;)
The kids were playing in the slip n' slide, which was hooked up to the hose.. so couldn't tell them we didn't have water as they could see the kids playing with it. Still funny though.. at least they had wet feet the whole time they were there. Serves em right.
Great weekend here. I have been in Minnesota, and I am heading toward home in Kansas. I got to meet my newest grand child, and had a peaceful sort of trip. I think it is so funny that Tam and SIL walked through the sewage, it was what they deserved. Your husband has been more than generous and now it is time for her to leave you guys alone.
Congrats and have a safe trip home!
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Wow, what a piece of work. Good riddance to bad rubbish. I"m sure you won't be seeing her again unless she forgot something. lol My weekend consisted of house stuff, nap, tv, volunteering, and spending time with my new man...
Sounds exciting! Glad things are working out.
@SomeCowgirl (32271)
Family fights and rivalry are never fun. I hate being in the middle of them. I've never been one to keep my tongue in check but I've also never been one to go all out in a hootin' and a hollerin' match. Now I have been one to Talk LOUDLY about the person so I know they hear me. I think i'd have been stressed to the max and just as pissed that they left all that mess there. Honestly I don't think I'd have trusted them to go pilfering through anything because i'd be afraid they'd throw stuff out that was mine or that they'd damage something that was mine. My weekend was alright, not much to it really. Worked part of it.