Son's cat is going to be ok

I wrote on here that I was worried about my 5 year old son's cat. She had a huge lump on the side of her face and was off her food and peeing everywhere. I took her to the vet today, I just couldn't risk her getting worse, she is my son's best friend. It turned out to just be an abcess, the vet thinks she was attacked by another cat. She really isn't a fighter, she is mostly an indoor cat and I would imagine she didn't fight back at all, poor kitty. The abcess was infected, and we left her there to have it flushed. When we collected her, they told us if we hadn't got her treated, she could have died, as the blood inside the abcess had clotted, and she would have either got blood poisoning or the clotted blood would have moved and killed her when it got to her major organs. She now has 3 types of medication to take for the next few weeks, and she can't go out or eat ordinary cat food. It has cost us over £300 in total, which we can't really afford. But she is a member of the family, and my son's best friend. I would pay 10 times that amount to keep her in good health. We'll make up the money somehow.
@NailTech (6890)
Oh I'm so glad the kitty is diagnosed and being treated. I hope the medication helps her and quickly. I can't tell you how much money I spent on one of my cat's in particular who was always getting into fights, etc. outside. I'm now traumatized over it and won't let my current cat outside because of it. But they still can get sick of course being indoors. I just feel she is safer in the house most of the time. You're right she is a member of the family and your son would be devastated to loose her. You're a good cat momma as well. Keep us posted on how she's doing.
She's doing fine now, and was really happy when we decided she was well enough to go out! Although she's not an outdoor cat, she does like a little time in our garden each day, in the fresh air. We finally let her out yesterday and she stayed outside for nearly 24 hours!
My male cat gets into fights all the time, he didn't used to. There are some new cats around, younger males who want to fight, and he always comes off worse. He had an infected lump on his head a while back from a fight, but he has a good temperament and it was on top of his head, so I was able to drain it and clean it myself without any vet bills. It healed up well with a few days of care, but I had to keep him indoors til I was sure it was ok.
@petersum (4526)
I saw a case like that once. Poor cat was looking so bad, we had to take it to a vet. Had the abcess removed along with the tooth, but recovered very quickly. Yes, it cost a lot but it was worth it. The cat became incredibly friendly after that, whereas before it only cared about being fed.
@timetravel (1428)
I am so happy to hear that your son's "baby" and "best friend" is doing better. Cats are better off indoors anyway. They are worth the money spent. When my beloved Ginger cat (r.i.p.) suffered a stroke, I took Ginger to a vet cardiologist. We were fortunate that Ginger was able to be enrolled in a study done by Purdue University that covered all the medications (blood pressure, water pills, etc.) and paid for about two thirds of the cardiologist's care. We would have paid it anyway. In fact, before we knew about the study, my husband did some translating work for a co-worker who paid him three hundred dollars - and he gave me the check and said, "for Ginger". Do you have any pet insurance where you live? That could help in the future. I have it for my two cats now, after what happened with Ginger. I can't take a chance there will be another study like that one that pays for most of the care should either Rook or Stormy get ill.
We had pet insurance, but we cancelled it as there were all these particular check-ups our cats had to have just to be able to claim on it. It would have cost a lot just to have the check-ups, and I think its better to save the money and pay out when its needed
That's no bueno. I hope your cat is okay. If not I'm sure the local Chinese take out place would give you a couple bucks for it. Nah...I'm kidding...what a horrible joke to make...I'll just edit that last part out.