Old fashion Thank You Notes

@savypat (20246)
I mailed two of these this week. I was so impressed buy the personal service I got from two different sources that I hand wrote and mailed a Thank You card to each. One of these people was my Doctor. Not my family Doctor but a specialist who I was sent to. He had very good news for me and even though I wasn't home he left a very detailed message with this good news. Now many Doctors wouldn't do that, they would make me come into their office for the results, not only does it take several days to get in but it takes most of my day to travel to their office, wait, see the Doctor for 15 mins and then travel home all of which costs me money. The second person was our well man, his company had repaired our irrigation pump and when we got it home part was missing and it wasn't running the way it should. Most places would have required us to return the pump so that they could finish the job. But this man took time to come to our ranch and finish the job. At this time of year every well person in our area is working 12 to 16 hours per day so the fact that he came to us for our very small job was outstanding. Both these men thought of us and certianly in this busy world today this is outstanding. A thank you note was the least I could do.
hi savypat, thank you! for this discussion....mr. psychoartist and i are great believers in the thank you note and in showing gestures of appreciation to other people...i am grateful when others are thoughtful and kind and appreciative to me, and i hope to treat other people the way that i would like to be treated...
@LovelyxOdd (1201)
Nobody does little gestures like this anymore and it's a shame. It seems more sincere when these old fashioned traditions are done. Everything is digital now and it seems tangible things are becoming more and more obsolete, including cards.
I agree. Eve I this modern age, I think these old fashioned traditional and notes are way more memorable than something in an email inbox. It’s quite sad that some people abandon the tradition, just because they are digital means or they simply think that it isn’t relevant any more. Besides, I think that the old-fashioned methods are more personal and sincere compared to the digital ones.
@inertia4 (27773)
There is nothing wrong with writing an old fashioned thank you note. But I do have an iPhone and I have this App from Apple that I can send cards to people. Any kind of card. Here is the best part, it does not go to the person as an electronic card, it gets send as a well make card. Whether it be a birthday, get well or thank you. It costs 2.99 for a card. But you get to customize it and pick the style you want. You also write what you want to say in them. I think that is worth 2.99. I will be doing that again for my girl friends birthday in two months.
It has been a very long time since I've actually taken the time to write an old fashioned thank-you note to someone. The main reason that it has been a really long time is because of the fact that there are few times that I get services that are above and beyond what we are expecting to get. I do know that if I was to get service that was a lot better than what we expected that I would take the time to thank the company that worked so well for me. Mostly, however, I do a lot of recommending to the company when we have service that I feel is pretty good.
@PageTurner (2827)
Hello savypat I am a firm believer in the handwritten note and often send them. Mrs. Turner and I have boxes and boxes of Thank You cards and other types of motivational cards stacked around our office. We very much enjoying sending cards to people. I was talking with a friend earlier this week and she was relaying to me the story that she had given someone a wedding gift, and the person finally sent a 'thank you' via Facebook!! Even worse, it was a blanket 'thank you' to all her friends who gave something to her!! I was appalled!! Has it come to this?? Glad to hear you had some good experiences with the Doctor and the well man.
@Pose123 (21667)
Hi savypat, Once again you have started a discussion that reminds us that the world is full of wonderful people. A friend told me recently, that he always expects the best from people and he said that he is rarely disappointed. There is just too much negativity in the world. When people know you trust them, most will act in kind. Blessings.
@dragon54u (31638)
I do that, too. I think they deserve the time and trouble it takes since they go above and beyond what is expected of them. Personal thank you notes make a big hit, too, when someone does something special for you. I wish good manners like this would return on a mass scale. Society would benefit from such a resurgence of civility.
Service is not found very many places except the dictionary any more. It is great to recognize quality service. I need to write some cards for various reasons myself. Good old pen and ink.
@mensab (4206)
it is great to read that there are still people who do the traditional way of sending message. there are people who deserve to be thanked for what they have done in our lives. and it is nice to express this in a personal way through a handwritten thank you note. i am sure the people who received your note will keep those as a sign that they truly appreciate your gesture.
@JenInTN (27564)
I love good old fashioned thank you notes! There certainly aren't many people that do it anymore though.