I Can Be So Thick At Times!

@Janey1966 (24127)
Carlisle, England
Whilst at Mum's we visited a nice shop in Lytham that sells posh room fresheners. I picked up a candle in a glass casing called "Home Doctor" as it's ideal for getting rid of pet smells, amongst other things. Anyway, I've used it about 3 times up to now. I was considering lighting the candle for the fourth time when I spotted the lamp next to it (not my posh lamp from upstairs) and, to my horror, I discovered it now has a deformed shade. Yes, folks, the candle has done this from the heat of the flame. Now, the candle isn't directly underneath the lampshade, just a bit to the left of it..but it hasn't been enough, hence the damage. I feel really stupid now because Mum actually gave me another shade for that same lamp and I've ended up binning THAT because it had more marks on it than mine. Serves me right for needlessly throwing something away that would DEFINITELY come in useful now. I can't retrieve it either as it's now gone to landfill. At least the damage isn't huge. For example, I am looking at the lamp now and cannot see the warped bits..they're further back on the shade. I'm still annoyed with myself though!
At the start,I was taken aback by what you talked about your deformed shade.How come the candle got the shade out of shape? Does the candle have some chemicals in it,which makes the lampshade deformed ? I never thought your candle was too near to the lampshade.If I were you,I should make the same mistake.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
The way the lamp was situated it was to the side of the candle (which was lower down so I thought it wouldn't be a problem) but the heat from the flame has obviously given part of the shade, at the side, a "bubbling affect." The whole shade isn't affected, just one side..but it's annoying nonetheless.
Sometimes,the error is occasioned by our oversight.Fortunately it was just a lampshade.
Don`t be annoyed with yourself, Janey! WE all do things like that from time to time. Just three days ago, I decided to have the bathroom with a nice smell as I would have my party on the next day. I lit a candle and forgot about it as it was the kind of candle that would not have big problems (so I thought). Yet the wax found its way out of the center of the candle, ran out to the bathroom floor and I had to clean it with my fingernails the next day
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Not my idea of fun..and not yours either by the looks of it. Awww!
Nope, Janey. And it`s worse now, because my tummy hurts a bit when I bend since I have the d*** lymphoma.
we are all annoyed with ourselves from time to time janey1966, but don't beat yourself up about this! it could have been much worse, as your house has not caught fire! as i have my head in the clouds much of the time, the psychoartist has an embarrassing habit of forgetting to turn off the burners of the stove after cooking...mr. psychoartist follows me around preventing horrid disasters from occurring!
Yes, the psychoartist, I was als thinking that it could have ended much worse with a burned down house!!
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
I guess I have something to be thankful for..
@BarBaraPrz (19348)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Reminds me of the time we were in a restaurant that had tall menus... my sister set hers on fire from the little candle in the middle of the table.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
I've lost count of the times I've tried responding to this but I guess not seeing candles a lot in restaurants isn't a bad idea after all!
• Marion, Kansas
That is one reason I like candle warmers instead of burning them any more. No flames then and no flame damage. Look around, you may find another shade somewhere inexpensive at a later date. Mean while keep the damage turned to the back.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Yes, I am fortunate that I can do that..turn the shade round as the damage wasn't extensive. It's a cream shade too, which doesn't help but I suppose a darker shade would look even worse, I don't know. I shall look for a cheap replacement as you suggested.
@Lorden (348)
• South Africa
These things happen, annoying as they are. I mean what is the point of something like this happening other than to damage your fine things? Well, I guess there is a silver lining in this: I bet your lampshade doesn't smell of pet odours now! :)
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
It certainly doesn't!
@yoyo1198 (3644)
We're all a bit "thick" at times. As you get older, you'll get thicker. We can say shoulda, woulda, coulda but that won't help now with your damaged shade. Oh, well...lesson learned?
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Yes, lesson learned although I've no idea where to put my candle now lol.