Did you have a house warming party......

I am wondering should I have a house warming party or a dinner and some guests. I am sure it would be nice to have one but,I would not even have an a.c to keep people cool in my apartment. The two I have I have to get rid of.. they don't fit the sleeve. I am so upset about that. I have two new a.c units here. What kind of gifts did you get at your house warming party? I don't really need anyhing and adrain said he would buy my curtians and dishes..
@sid556 (31003)
Like some of the others here, I"ve always known a "house warming" to be for when a couple buys their first home. At least where I come from, that is what it is and the only ones I've ever been to. I have bought a gift for someone I'm close to that gets their first apartment but never have I attended a housewarming for someone who is just moving from one apartment to another. I guess if it's common where you live then you should go for it.
I love Gifts a lot. We are close, but she also knows I will be brutally honest with her. I try to tone down what I am thinking a lot of times, because it does get old to see the same types of discussions up where Gifts is spending money left and right and then giving away her stuff on free cycle. I'm sure I probably make more money than she does on my disability, but I don't have all the perks of a boyfriend bailing me out when I get needy. I agree Sids, housewarming parties are for people who own their first home. I had one when I bought my first double wide. It was nice. I didn't ask for one. My coworkers thought it up. They also thought up my wedding... a girl made my wedding cake. It was flat instead of teared, but it tasted good all the same. A sheet cake with a bride and groom was just as good to me. I felt blessed to have such good friends. Now back to Gifts. I see Gifts repeating bad behaviors all the time. I feel she needs to save her money and buy something nice for her new home and not expect her friends and family to do it. They will do it if they so choose, but I feel it is kind of tacky to say you are giving yourself a party or asking someone else to give it for you. This isn't your first rodeo Gifts. If it was your first time of getting an apartment or house, and you were about Kay's age, I'd say congratulations for getting out on your own. I think you waste a lot of money girlfriend. I wish I had that kind of money to blow and give away. Why not try to see how much money you can save instead of how much money you can spend, Gifts. It's not impossible. It's just hard to break old habits. I'm still trying, and I hope by next month I can have a plan in place because i need glasses. I can't see out of the glasses I have. Mine are about 5 years old and I can't afford to buy my glasses. They are very expensive due to my eye problem. Somehow I've got to make a plan to save the money for my glasses, because these are useless and I hardly wear them anymore because they make me nearly blind now. I see better without them, but I can only see up close. I've got to find a way to save. Let's try to do this together. You try to see how much you can save each month and I'll do the same. Don't do anything foolish or drastic. Just don't spend money on anything you don't need.
Oh.. Gifts.. I just noticed you called. Please wait till 9 pm and after. It's free then for me. It's costing me a lot of minutes. I can't pick up now because it is costing too much and I don't want to get a big bill.
I can't see how buying myself my first living room set is hurting me. I have been saving for a few months now and I also have not touched my credit card. The stuff I am putting on freecycle I can't take with me. There is no where to put it. I would not like to just toss it to the back yard as trash when others can use it.. I will call you now.. thanks
@maximax8 (28906)
When I was 19 years old I moved into my little cottage. It had a lounge, small kitchen, hall, bathroom and large bedroom. I had a house warming parry and many of my friends came. I got given chocolates, a set of towels, a sauce pan and a set of drinking glasses. We played loud music which annoyed my neighbors. The bathroom door got locked yet nobody was in there. The front door knocker came off. I had some friends stay overnight and my next door neighbor lent me some camp beds.
That was not too bad for a small party. I would not want anyone to sleep over my house though.
@sid556 (31003)
So you had a fun time breaking in the new place and the neighbors? Sounds a lot like the type of housewarming I would have had at that age if I'd had one!
@winterose (39917)
I don't have housewarming parties. most people I know are just eeking by and it is wrong to ask them to dish out money for a gift I probably would never use anyhow. Besides you keeping saying you don't have money yet all you do is spend money. house warming is fine for a young couple who has nothing not a person that has just about everything anyhow. But that is your choice, I just wish you would consider how much needless money you are spending on everything. Take that money and put it on something you need like pay your bills or buy something cash for the house yourself.
I am going to have a ball shopping for this new place. I never had a place so nice in ny.. I never had a brand new living room set either. all my stuff is second hand. I deserve to spend on myself for this move. I have been saving money and paying my bills. I am caught up on everthing. I have not even used my credit card in months. I can't wait..
I would. I think it would be a great way for people to see your new place and to spend time with the people you care about. I would just make it easy by serving salads, sandwiches, and cookies. For the a.c. can you put a board in the window to protect the a.c. so it will not fall out. I am not sure how handy Adrian is, but can he suggest something and help you out. Good luck with the move in August.
The windows can't hold any window a.c..I need the kind that goes in the sleeve.
Last week i was invited to my friends house warning party. The party was grand as usual. He and his family members welcomed us and treated well. They had made variety of dishes and drinks to treat us. Anyway the treat was grand.My friends and me had attended the party with a beautiful gift for him. We have him a fridge for his family. It was an intresting and suprising gift from us. The gift made to put a good smile on his face. For my house warning many of my friends and family members gifted many gifts. We was very happy with those gifts. Among all the gifts television was the high priced one and this gift was from my uncle.
That was a lot of good gifts your people gave out. I would love a bigger tv now that my living room is bigger.
@Porcospino (19548)
• Denmark
We had a housewarming party last year. It wasn’t a big party, but we had invited some relatives and some close friends. The party took place in the weekend, and my husband and I both worked in the weekends so we didn’t have to time to cook. We decided to buy food from an Indian restaurant, and the food was very delicious. We got different kinds of presents for instance cups and plates, a restaurant gift card, a boardgame and money. We didn’t really need much for the kitchen or the other rooms so we told our friends that we were saving up for a fence for the garden. Many of them chose to give us money instead of things for the house. We had a great party with our friends and relatives. The weather was sunny and we were able to spend part of the time outside.
I think the cash was the best gift too. I think it is good to give what people really need or want. I could really use some money to pay off my living room set.
hi gifts looks like I am first, also its my first day back. I never had a housewarming party but one time when we moved into a new apartment our next door neighbor brought us a loaf of fresh bread. he said where he came from this was a tradition to give the new neighbors a loaf of fresh break to welcome them aboard. I thought this was so neat. hatley here finally got my computer repaired and am back in business. I missed you all so much./ hugs from hatley.
It's goo to see you back again. I think the neighbor was very nice to come b with the bread. happy posting..
@asliah (11148)
hi, actually i only have a party when my parents birthday or even birthday of one of my siblings,and we dont invite many people because we are more comfortable if the family member only are there.and aside from that i dont need to clean so clean the house.