New homemade ice cream maker

@peavey (16300)
I got an ice cream maker for Mother's Day and had only used it once, carefully following the instructions, which I misplaced. So... I just kind of made things up as I went this afternoon and made some chocolate malt ice cream. It's so good! It's the last thing I need! But it's better for me than ice cream from the store because it's simply milk and flavoring. I used chocolate milk drink mix and a couple of tablespoons of malt with some milk and a can of evaporated milk. I'll do it again... except I don't remember exactly how much of anything! Have you ever made ice cream at home? If so, did you follow a recipe or make up your own?
@1hopefulman (26016)
Yesterday I replied three times to your post but there was a problem. Good that you are making your own ice cream, as how can the store beat that. It will certainly be healthier. You can make it just how you like it. Enjoy! I used to love ice cream but it it is not so good for my health. I have some ideas for healthy ice creams but at this time I don't really seem to care about it. Maybe as it gets hotter?
@peavey (16300)
I hope it doesn't get hotter here! It's supposed to be up to 97 today and it's heading right on up there... too much for me. Anyway, yes, ice cream tastes better when it's hot. I used to never like ice cream, but now I enjoy it now and then. The store bought stuff is really unhealthy with HFCS and lots of chemicals and not very much real dairy. I use raw milk, part sugar and part stevia and vanilla plus whatever flavoring I want. It's not bad for you unless you're avoiding sugar completely.
@1hopefulman (26016)
Wow! It's really hot there. Today will reach a comfortable 90 because there is a good breeze and it might rain later. Those ingredients are way better than store-bought ice cream.
I have never, never made homemade ice cream. I bet it tastes awesome.
@carmelanirel (20979)
Only you could make somethign great without instructions peavey..lol I have had a used one for about 3 years now and I have to read the instructions not only before, but during the making of my ice cream.. And I follow the recipe, "step by step"
@peavey (16300)
Oh, believe me, there was a lot of luck involved! The problem with doing something that turns out good like that is that I can never do it exactly that way again.
Oh, I don't know about luck, I think that some people, like you and my husband, can put something together and it turns out. Of course like you, when my husband does this, he doesn't write it down so he can make it again..
@peavey (16300)
I really think that's what you call luck!
@suspenseful (40316)
My mother used to make ice cream by buying rennet and mixing it with milk and putting into ice cream trays. I forget the method since that was fifty years ago. I was thinking of getting one of those Ninja kitchen gadgets and trying that out since it can be used for other things. I do have a Magic Bullet but it does not have the power and since there is only me now, there is no sense of me buying a big ice cream maker. It would be easier though since when I go and buy ice cream, the small containers are way too expense and with the big one it takes at least two weeks to finish it off. Oh I never read directions first. By the way what brand did you get?
@peavey (16300)
It's a Hamilton Beach. I can make a whole container or just a partial one and since I live alone, too, I've only made a partial container. I will be making a full container for my daughter's house warming party, though. I know what you mean about buying ice cream. It just isn't worth it.
@peavey (16300)
Forgot to address the rennet part. I've heard of using it but never knew anyone who did. I know how to make it with a custard base the way they used to long ago, but haven't tried it yet.
@buenavida (7916)
• Sweden
I have made some ice cream but my ice cream maker is not working any more. I think I followed the recipes in the beginning but later I made up my own combinations with - what I thought that time - were healthier.. I think I would use raw milk yogurt and some fruit and berries and maybe a little organic honey if it needs something extra sweet. But the fruit has sugar naturally so it doesn't need more if we are used to not use sugar. Another good combination would be double cream with real vanilla and honey (with cocoa - if we like). Better stop before I run away and buy an ice cream maker.. But I guess we could make some quick ice cream with an ordinary mixer - just put in some frozen berries and/or fruit and yogurt - that's it..
@peavey (16300)
I have a Vitamix that's supposed to make frozen desserts if you put ice in it, but I've never been completely satisfied with that method. You can make ice cream by putting the mixture in the freezer and then stirring it every so often until it freezes. I always forgot to stir it, though!
@buenavida (7916)
• Sweden
There is one home made ice cream that doesn't need stirring at all. You need whipped eggwhite, whipped egg yolk, where you add the honey, cocoa or whatever you wish for taste and then whipped cream. You need eggs from a place without salmonella, of course. Then just stir these three ingredients and freeze. Absolutely delicious!!
@roshigo58 (4871)
• Pune, India
Hi, We don't have ice cream machine. In my childhood my mother used to prepare it. but something was wrong with that machine or some mistakes in preparing I don't know. So due to that reason I haven't purchase ice cream machine. We like to eat ice cream. We used to buy ice cream from outside.
@peavey (16300)
I like it too well sometimes, but it's nice to be able to make it when I want to.
@litvillegas (1275)
Hello peavey Wow! ice cream!,I love ice cream..I tried to make a homemade chocolate ice cream last summer season. I tried to follow instructions and it tastes so good. Sometimes making your own recipe is exciting and fun.. Have a great day..
@peavey (16300)
Yes, I really enjoy making ice cream the way I want it. It's fun.
Hi friend, good to hear that you got a new ice cream maker as mother's day gift. We have ice cream maker in our home, my wife used it to prepare ice creams for our kids, she will follow the recipe book to prepare ice creams and try different flavors every time
@peavey (16300)
I think it's much better than buying ice cream for the kids and it can be fun to try different flavors!
@KrauseHome (34982)
It has been yrs. since I last ever tried to attempt and make something like this. I have considered wanting to try it again, but it is really not something of necessity. But anything home made usually always tastes better than store bought, and it is always interesting to try out new things and ways as well.
@peavey (16300)
No, it's not a necessity, but if life were made up of only necessities, it would kind of boring. Not only does it taste better, it's much better for you. I don't put in as much sugar as the recipes call for and I use fresh milk.
@smilemoon (767)
• United Arab Emirates
When feel sad go to eat some ice-cream. It is enjoyable Lol.
@peavey (16300)
That will make anything better!
@JenInTN (27565)
When I was a kid, the neighbor bought a ice cream machine and all the kids in the neighborhood was in heaven..lol. I remember it being the best ice cream that I have ever had. I have never had a machine myself though. Hmmm...I may have to invest in one. I do love ice cream and I have a grand daughter that is due to be in the world tonight! She needs to have homemade ice cream...lol.
@peavey (16300)
It tastes different from commercial ice cream (as it should) and I think it's much better. And every grandchild deserves homemade ice cream!
@alberello (4755)
Well, unfortunately, talking to me, I never had the pleasure of having at home an electrical machine to make ice cream. It at least one machine to do the much liked me cotton candy. I would love to be in a position to be able to prepare these things at home. Unfortunately I'm not a passing moment economically speaking, very beneficial. This however does not exclude the hypothesis of having a day at home, such equipment.
@peavey (16300)
I hope that you'll soon be able to have a cotton candy maker and an ice cream maker or whatever you want!
@SomeCowgirl (32271)
We used to have an ice cream maker, but it's been years since I've known where it went. I think my aunt took it. It'd be nice to have, and a good way to do home made flavorings. I remmber helping my mom make it, but this was probably ten or so years ago.
@peavey (16300)
It had been quite some time since I'd had an ice cream maker, too. It's fun to think up ways to flavor it.
• Mexico
Hi peavey: Wow it sounds so yummy. This machine sounds really interesting. In my case I have prepared some home made ice creams but it's just using juice and putting it in the refrigerator ALVARO
@peavey (16300)
That sounds good, too. Did you put milk in it?