I think there is a glitch in some of our thinking.

Boise, Idaho
Okay, let me explain. Back in the late 60's I started a correspondence course in writing called Famous Writer's School. They pushed the idea that writing of ANY kind is helpful to writers. I believe this to be true. I think that being on Mylot and writing, forming sentences, trying to be effective communicators, etc. --- all of this is WRITING. So, for those of you that feel that Mylot is not 'writing' I disagree. Maybe it isn't writing articles or formally writing for writing sake but it is writing and good exercise for writers. Any thoughts?
@PageTurner (2827)
Hello celticeagle The his book, On Writing, Stephen King says that what makes one a writer is that they write. I enjoy the writing on myLot. I enjoy expressing myself in different ways, as is often seen in the different discussions I do. The only disappointment is that some people seem to have no sense of humor and are quite grumpy if a discussion does not meet their boring criteria. Peace.
His book was very good and talked about the basics. I think that learning to express ourselves on different subjects is a very good writing lesson.
@Suebee (2013)
I suppose it depends on what you want to accomplish with your writing. If you are writing for yourself, then yes, writing is writing, not matter what. If you think you want to be a writer to earn your living, well, it may require more than just writing your opinions on a discussion forum such as this one.
@winterose (39917)
on a personal level you are right, but the powers that be, are above us and they set the standard, and mylot style writing is email or letter writing,and it is even listed below amateur writing. Amateur just means not being paid, but it is listed below amateur meaning the person goes out and writes an article on a site about bird watching, it could be a really good article, with the standard writing format, introduction, body and conclusion and they could have provided many references etc. But the site doesn't pay them so it is still amateur. Professionally and as I mentioned are many different levels, and a person is paid according to their writing ability. They can get 2.00 for an article, or 700 (journalists) depending on how well they can write and how well they can do the research necessary and so on. But yes you are you can call it writing, it is in a way but it is the very basic writing that anyone can do, not the professional writing that takes a lot of work, time and effort. So many people don't understand the differences. I have had several people over the years ask me to tell them what sites I work for but many of these people cannot really write. Yes they make discussions on mylot but they would not be able to handle the work of a real writer and their work would not be accepted. On the other hand, there have been some mylotters who said they cannot write yet they are far superior in their writing skills that most mylotters here and they really would do well writing in other places. I have tried to encourage many of them to take a leap of faith and go forward, some have but others had no faith in their writing skills at all.
@Suebee (2013)
Oh I don't disagree with you that mylot style writing is not professional writing by any stretch of the imagination. Any yes, anyone can do it. In my humble opinion it takes a lot more to be a professional writer. You know yourself by just being a reader that some so-called writers just don't have what it takes. In order to be a SUCCESSFUL writer it takes education, know-how, research skills and a love for the written word. Not everyone can do this. Although some people may have a "natural talent" for writing, that talent has to be developed. It is very rare that one just decides one day to write a book/article and actually have it published.
Thank you, Suebee for your take on this. I think that Winterose is not understanding what I was trying to put forth here. I am just saying that Mylot helps with our basic writing skills. Ofcourse it takes alot more for someone to become a professional writer. THis site does help us with our basic skills. It is important to write and we are doing that here. And also expressing ourselves as we must learn to do to be a good writer. Thanks again.
@aparajita (860)
Most of us expect responses to our thoughts. We express our thoughts through words and send them to a larger audience through MyLot where writing is the only medium, (there is no scope to video chat..) So it goes without saying that whatever we put down over here is expressed and has to be expressed only in writing. Btw is Famous Writer's School a site?
Writing is writing. FWS no longer exists.
Why don't u start your on blog by the same name and add me...I mean let me know and then we can have a better platform! Just give it a thought!
WOuld love to. I can email if I decide to.
@peavey (16876)
I applied to Famous Writer's School, too! I never did take the course, though because I didn't have the money. I agree with you that myLot is writing. Emails, letters, notes, forum posts or whatever, it's still writing and it's good practice in expressing ourselves. I find it interesting how many writers are here on myLot.
It is interesting isn't it?
@peavey (16876)
Yes, it is. I'm sure there are many reasons for it, but I wonder if many of us use myLot to get ideas and just to practice or just to have some place to try out this topic or that one with no pressure.
I think it is all of the above and alot more. People come on here for all sorts of reasons.
@else22 (4319)
You are right.I also assert that Mylot improves our writing skills in English.It is a platform where we share our thoughts,feelings and experiences and we do all this only in English. Writing all these things in a particular language enables us to express ourselves in that language and hones our writing skills.Although Mylot is not dubbed a site for writing,but it serves as one.I can say so,because I have experienced it myself.
And could be as good if not better than journaling. Happy Mylotting.
@else22 (4319)
Of course,much better.One more thing,I have experienced Mylot improves your spoken English as well.Sounds strange,doesn't it,but is true.
How interesting.
@aghiuta (526)
You are soooo right! Any writing that works your brain to find the right words,and improve your dictionary and grammar is helpful.Here on myLot,there are so many different subject for discussions and comments,that is very pleasant and not at all boring, to work on the skill of writing.
Yes, working on the skill of writing is exactly what I am getting at.
@JenInTN (27564)
I agree completely. Between here and my English classes at school, I can see a huge difference in the way I write. I look at the discussions I started when I first came here compared to the ones I write now and can almost see learning curve. The discussions I start now are quite a bit more detailed in nature and I pay more attention to the way it looks.
That is so totally what I think it has done for me also. It is helped me so much to organize my thoughts better on paper.
@blue65packer (11835)
I have always hope and thought my discussion writing has gottan alttle better since I have been here. I think writing on Mylot,like in disussions, is a good exercise in writing for writers. I wish i could write a book or two! Unfortunely my thoughts in my brain never make to the paper!
I hope that someday it will make it to the paper.
@suni51 (3126)
I agree with you totally, this site is particularly helpful for the non- English speaking people coming from different part of the world who think differently. Once they get a chance to communicate and exchange ideas, they certainly learn a few things every day- Including writing. Thanks for this wonderful discussion.
Yes, including writing and its basic format.
@Cutie18f (9563)
I most certainly agree with you. We do a lot of writing here. When we discuss ideas and put in our two cents and have these ideas published here, we are actually writing.
Yes, I think you are very correct.
@polaris77 (2031)
• Bacau, Romania
I strongly agree with you,mylot can definitely be considered'writing'and it's a very useful activity for those of us whose native language is not English because it helps us improve our skills at communicating and expressing our opinions on a variety of topics in a coherent manner.I also think that it's a great exercise to express some of our ideas in a few lines on mylot and then maybe expend them by writing articles based on opinions we express on mylot on sites specialized on article writing.Mylot is indeed a good exercise for me and I think it helps me a lot in practicing and improving my English language skills.
So true! Like I said in the last response I think learning to express ourselves on different subjects is a very good writing lesson.
@suzzy3 (8357)
I just want to say writing on mylot will not make me a best seller.I do not think my level of writing is for anything else but fun.I do this because it is enjoyable being able to communicate with people all over the world,finding out about their cultures ,how they live their lives and what is important to them.All this helps me in my life enritching and being able to understand others points of view.I expect somewhere down the line I will disagree with someone or they will disagree with me but thats life.It has helped me with spelling and vocabulary.Otherwise it is just fun.
That may be true for you now but keeping a schedule of writing is very important.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
i THINK ANYTIME U USE YOUR BRAIN FOR WHATEVER IS A GOOD THING. Have a good weekend.
And I think writing is writing.
@jkct02 (2859)
I agree with you that writing in myLot is 'writing'. Practice makes perfect, writing more will surely improve our writing, of course, it is provided that the writer will notice any mistakes he/she may have made and learn from the writing of other members.
Its like if we don't walk we forget how.
@sid556 (31003)
Oh yes, I agree 1000% with this. Ask anyone who does not have English as their native language and they will tell you that typing on Mylot does help them. I do think that actual writing as opposed to typing on the internet is very important but I also agree that communication skills are honed here at Mylot. I like to write also but I just don't have the time to. This place keeps my grammar and spelling as well as communication skills open. Some discussions really make me think before responding. Thinking stimulates the brain so yes...it is good. I was a product of that era too and I read the same thing. If you want to be a writer then write every day...write something, anything but write every day. I think back then they advised us to carry a notebook everywhere we go and I do....I usually have trouble finding a pen though.
I used to do the notebook carrying. Had notes on everything. I always had pens. That was a must. lol
I think that is a common teaching still. Write. If you write 500 words of crap in a day, you've still written 500 words to encourage your mind to stay active. As with anything, if you don't continue to practice, you will eventually begin to see the ability slip away. Something that frustrates me is when people believe, or take on the attitude that proper writing - correct grammar, correct spelling, not using words incorrectly - is only necessary if you are doing something someone is going to pay you for, or that will eventually lead to you getting paid (a cover letter for a job application, for example). Anywhere else in their lives they abbreviate words/use "text speak", abandon punctuation, just generally give up any writing skills they may possess in the interest of ... well, frankly, in the interest of laziness.
I think it is pretty basic. I have seen a real break down online of the English language. It is pretty pathetic and sad to see. THis 'text speak' is for morons. And on here some people have forgotten what periods and capitols are. Scarey.
Hi CelticEagle I agree. The more a person writes here the better they get. I'm also a writer. Not as much anymore but I do take assignments from yahoo voices. One article paid $8. I was happy about that. I think writing here also helps us to stay fresh.
And keeps us focused on writing. Very important.
@winterose (39917)
It is written but you would never get a writing job because you make email style discussions on mylot. There is a standard in the writing industry, actually there are several levels, depending on what kind of writing you want to do. Nobody will hire you that asks for a writing resume based on mylot. Mylot is not a writing site. You can disagree but this is what the authorities in the business have decided. I am a professional writer for the last 10 years. I am not at the top because I don't have that skill. The top are journalists who have a degree in journalism. They are the ones that get the big money. I have written two books and still no one is going to call me Shakespeare or even Steven King. These are the people who are considered at the top of their field. I know my field, I know what it takes to write and I know site that asks for a writing resume takes mylot seriously. forming thoughts and sentences as you say is very basic. It is something you should have learned in grade school but it is not writing in the sense of the writing community. I am not trying to be insulting I am explaining the world of writing. Yes there are some sites that don't care if you have written before and if you put that on a writing resume the professional writing site you are trying to write for will not accept those sites either. Why again it is level of writing. Your site that said write anything was talking about developing the writing skill and it is a skill and if anyone wants to be paid good money for that skill they have to be a good writer and know how to write in the various styles necessary depending on the site they are applying for. Trust me it is not that easy. And rejection is something every writer goes for. Oh an example I just thought of, Any one can write their opinion to some article in their newspaper, and it will be printed that is equivalent to mylot style writing, but it is very difficult to get an actual newspaper article printed, you have to how to write and you have to have a journalism or English degree. There may be some leeway for a smaller newspaper, but not the big ones. One of my closest friends was an big newspaper editor before she retired, and she confirmed that as well. The writing industry is really tough.
@winterose (39917)
also Mylot does not say it is a writing site because it is not. It is a discussion site. A quick look on the net about mylot will show that it it categorized as a discussion site everywhere not a writing site which is very different. Here is just one link http://expertscolumn.com/content/mylot-legit-site but there are many on the net
Wow! THank you for your indepth view on the subject. I don't think I have ever said that Mylot is a writing site. I thinking writing for writing sake is very important. Sort of like keeping a car tuned up. It helps. It isn't the great world of the writing exec by any means. It is a way to keep basic skills intact. Again, I am not saying that Mylot is a writing site. I am saying that it helps writers with their basic skills. I still feel that Mylot is a great place to keep the writing going and to help us with basic skills. Sorry if you disagree with that.
@winterose (39917)
as a writer I love writing will always write an encourage other people to write
I think it's like exercise for the body. Any type of movement and exercise will help, but if you want to be fit in a certain way or need to train for a specific body-type, then a more rigorous skill-set of exercise is needed. So any type of writing is helpful to one's personal writing skill-set, but if someone wants to become a novelist then they have to practice novel-writing itself in order to grow and gain even more towards their specific goal. Mylot is writing, and writing practice, but it's not really the marathon to the track runner if you get my analogy.
Yes, any type of writing is helpful. I think adding such sites as Mylot to our list of places to write is good. Yes, Mylot is writing.