I wondered why I hadn't seen my son's cat all day...

My son't cat is almost always indoors. I hadn't seen her all day and assumed she had gone out, though its unusual for her to be out for long. She recently had vet treatment and had to be kept indoors for a week, so I figured maybe it wasn't so strange that she was enjoying her freedom. But she wasn't out at all. When I was serving the cats' dinner, I heard meowing. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from at first, then realised it was BEHIND the kitchen cupboards! We opened all the cupboards and drawers, and she eventually emerged from behind a drawer. She must have got in there last night, when we were putting the kids' Playdoh away - and had been there for almost 24 hours! She was very dusty, but didn't seem upset. I expect she slept for most of the time she was in there.
If there is one thing that cats are really good at, that would have to be that they are really good at hiding. With our cats, we thought that somehow a racoon had gotten into our house because we heard something in the ceiling above our bedroom. Well, then one day I was sitting in the bedroom and our smaller cat peeked out at me. They had figured out a way to get up there and hide and we didn't know about it at all. Glad that all is well with your cat.
My mothers cat loves to go in hers and sit on top of the boxes in there. she will leave him there till he bangs his head to get out. he loves the cozy dark space.
Cats have been known to hide in really interesting places. I remember when I first moved in here, my cat decided to hide in the kitchen cupboards, where I kept all my old plastic shopping bags. He'd lay on top of the stack of bags. It was dark in the cupboards, and he was an orangish-white colour, and the bags where white, so it was almost impossible to see him hiding in there. I started thinking of having little battery lights installed in all my cupboards, so I could justtap the light to see if he was in there. LOL