I gashed my thumb

@SomeCowgirl (32271)
I gashed my thumb today as I was preparing to cut up some zucchini. One zucchini had a bad spot and I accidentally gashed my thumb trying to cut off the bad spot. The gash isn't very big and I was told it didn't require stitches. I put some ointment on it and a band aid with the help of a family member. It hurt for a bit but is better now and seems to be healing nicely. I am actually using the thumb to type now, though i was cautious at first. It bled only for a little bit. Funnily enough, this is the same thumb I've gashed in the past and have had to have stitches for. Anyone else injured a thumb trying to cut / slice food?
I can't say my thumb but I did cut my ring finger with a kitchen scissors the other week. Man I hadn't done anything to my hands in some time either. I don't recall what I was cutting up with it but I wasn't paying as good of attention as I thought I'd only pinched it as I had other times no this time it was a bleeder. I was eventually able to get it to stop bleeding but when I changed the bandage it started up again. I was kinda worried there. It was even dented in for several days. I can still see the cut/scar looking closely though it's healed up.
@SomeCowgirl (32271)
Was it anywhere near the web of your finger? ouchie I imagine that would especially hurt. I've cut close to the web of my finger and it bled and hurt! Must've been chicken maybe? That stuff can be slick when using Kitchen Shears. I had a family member put the stuff I was cutting up as I was tending to my cut, I won't be cutting anything for a few days lol.
Nope I did it near the tip of my finger. I think I've gotten paper cuts on the web and yes those are horrid lil buggers. Honestly, I don't remember what it was. I do cut up things a lot especially since I have small kids the younger two are often intimidated by a whole piece of something and won't touch it. I use the kitchen scissors in one manner or another everyday.
@PageTurner (2827)
Hello SomeCowgirl Sorry to hear about the thumb gash. I've not sliced any of my digits whilst slicing or cutting food. However, I have cut my hands in other ways. I once cut my left index finger severely while using an exacto razor knife. It was a nasty wound, but I tended it myself. Even though I did this 25 years ago, I still have the scar and the finger is numb at the cut. The worse cut I ever sustained on my hand involved a tin can top that nearly sliced off my thumb as I was removing the rhubbish bag from the rhubbish bin. It was a ghastly cut and I finally had to relent and seek medical attenton. I was known in the Emerency Room because I had sustained other minor injuries on my farm, and also because it was a small town. When the staff saw my gash they asked what happened and I made up a yarn about driving to town and seeing a school bus veer off the roadside and into the river. I allegedly ran down the embankment and rescued all of the children, and was trying to remove the bus drive who had looked like he had had a heart attack, when my thumb got jammed in the doorway and was torn open. They all looked at me with mouths hanging agog. Before they could question me as to why they hadn't been getting more patients as a result of this 'accident' I said, "Nah. I cut it on a can, but didn't you enjoy my other story a lot more."
@SomeCowgirl (32271)
That bus explanation definitely was more entertaining! it's funny you mentioned the hospital at all as it reminded me of the time I had to get stitches on this thumb. I was there and a nurse told me that it was a funny coincidence because a kid around my same age had come in with a gash to his left thumb, though I think he sustained that by playing sports. She said he'd been in an hour earlier. Those tin cans can be a real danger, you wouldn't think they were so sharp but I've even had my finger pricked by picking the lid up wrong after cutting it open!
Yes, those tin cans are very dangerous. I had begged my ex to place the tops in the can and bend the top of the can so they couldn't be a danger, but she never did this. Even after the dastardly deed to my thumb, she continued to be negligent in her lid control. Peace
A couple of months ago I did that. I was cutting up squash. I did it to the same finger, in the same place. I don't know if you've seen the bandaids that have neosporin on the white part, but they're really good. You don't have to bother getting a disinfectant along with a bandaid, it's just two in one.
@SomeCowgirl (32271)
Ouch! Yeah I've seen the band aids with neosporin on them. We have plenty of band aids though so no need to get any with neosporin on them just yet. Squash and Zucchini are easy / hard to cut. it's hard at first but then BAM lol right through it.
@cher913 (25893)
i did that once and it really hurt for a long time. my co-worker was trying to cut frozen butter (don't ask me why) but the knife slid and cut up her thumb quite badly. badly enough for stitches. she is very accident prone and is always getting hurt one way or another.
@Opal26 (17691)
Hey Cowgirl! I am always cutting fingers! I really try not to bleed into the food though!lol I am the worst when it comes to using knives. I've also started to wear gloves which "cuts" (no pun intended) the chances of my getting cut! And when I'm finished getting cut, I am usually getting burned! I am a great cook, but deadly in the kitchen. I've had some really serious accidents throughout the years, especially the years when I was young and lived alone. I dropped a scalding hot pot of water from boiling potatoes on my foot. I was in shock and didn't think to take my sock off which made the burn worse. I had second degree burns on my foot by the time I got myself and cab and got to the hospital! Man, was that ever painful!
Ouch! I rammed my little finger on the wall in the bathroom today. I am tired and paying attention. It hurt for while. I can recall alot of bad cuts down through the years. My stepbrother cut his thumb clear down to the bone once in shop. My daughter did the same when cutting onions one night. Glad yours wasn't serious.