Illegal Immigrant Amnesty

@debrakcarey (19925)
I'd like to know what you all think. I'm not going to write out a long speal for you to read and comment on, I want to know how you feel about this.
@dragon54u (31298)
I don't think anything should be done until we CLOSE AND CONTROL THE BORDERS. Anything we do will have no effect on illegal immigration until we control our own borders. I don't understand what the problem is--every other country in the world guards their borders and chooses who comes in except the U.S. Until we close our borders and control who enters, we will have endless problems with illegal immigrants. I think the latest suggestion is humanitarian but was presented solely to win votes.
@dragon54u (31298)
I lived there for 28 years and it was even worse than you think. And that's what I'm going back to?! Man, what we do for love of our families! It started long before Obama. Janet Napolitano, now head of homeland (in)security, was governor for years and refused to do anything about the problem. She said it was up to the Feds and not an obligation of the state. Before that we had other high mucky-mucks who did not want to give up the votes they got from illegals--yes, it happens in AZ and has for decades. This is a long standing problem that threatens our security, to mention nothing of the lives lost when people are trying to make it here for a better life. (Those coming with bad intentions have all the help they need so they don't become casualties) The Feds are responsible, in part, for those hundreds, maybe thousands, of deaths in the desert. You would not believe the destruction. I don't like the desert and don't think there's anything beautiful about it but it's even uglier with all that trash, excrement, destruction of the plants and cacti. The Sonoran Desert is the only ecosystem of its kind in the entire world and deserves protection.
@debrakcarey (19925)
Isn't it strange that the otherwise VERY vocal EPA and greenies aren't shouting about it? I mean, they will shut an entire town down, or stop constructon on needed roads or homes but not say a word about a one of kind ecosystem being destroyed by FEDERAL ineptitude?
@debrakcarey (19925)
And what's up with CA & TX getting all the help? which only drives the illegals TO AZ to cross?
@factorial (981)
Your government MUST be very CAREFUL in granting amnesty.
@debrakcarey (19925)
I agree. And not many people realize, it is NOT JUST latinos who are pouring in. Evidence suggests that Hamas is active at the Mexican border.
Yes, I have heard about the Hamas in the Mexican boarder... be careful!
@debrakcarey (19925)
See what I mean, YOU have heard over there in the Philippines, and Americans have no clue. Something is wrong with that.
@anniepa (26629)
I'm not in favor of "amnesty" in the true sense of the word but I AM very much in favor of the Dream Act and of what President Obama recently enacted. That is NOT amnesty since these people didn't actually themselves commit any offense or crime unless it's a crime for a child to just HAPPEN to be with his or her parents. I think it's disgraceful that this is yet another issue on which there was very recently bipartisan agreement until the Republicans bailed because President Obama and other Democrats agreed with them. Why shouldn't those who came here with their parents as children and lived productive and exemplary lives ever since get the chance to be the Americans they've always felt themselves to be? There are, and should be, conditions; they can't have committed any crimes and they have to have graduated high school, started college or enlisted in the military. I totally agree with Rick Perry, who said anyone who has a heart would feel the same way. Annie
@debrakcarey (19925)
I am the grandchild of immigrants. What upsets many is that Obama did this by way of executive order, once again going around Congress, NOT taking the opportunity when he had a Democrat majority to deal with a comprhensive immigration reform bill. And his treatment of AZ smacks of a spoiled child not wanting to play cause he doesn't get his own way. IF he cared about immigrants, he'd have done something about it in his first year but he was to busy making sure this ACA/TAX got pushed through. He doesn't consider the already horrible unemployment numbers, the cost to educate, the cost for welfare programs, etc. Americans are NOT against immigration. What they are against is a president who cares only for the latino vote and not his countrymen's plight OR the separation of powers in the Constituion. Right thing to do? the right thing to do would have been to uphold the law of the land and change it by proper methods.
@bobmnu (8160)
Where is the Democrat support for the Republican proposal on immigration. President Obama blames the Republicans in Congress for not acting on his job proposals yet the Republicans in the House have passed over 30 jobs bills and the Senate will not even give them a vote. Where is the President Plan for immigration? All he does is talk about immigration but does not sit down with both parties to work out solutions. It is said the greatest presidents at getting things done were Truman, Johnson, Reagan and Clinton because they would sit down and work with those who were willing. Look at President Clinton and the tension between him and the Republican Congress yet they passed and he signed Welfare Reform, and balanced budgets. One side did not claim total victory but shared it, they worked together. During the Health Care Debate Congressman Ryan made some very good suggestions only to be rebuffed by the President and Democrat leaders.
@debrakcarey (19925)
I watched the 'healthcare summit' and his imperial majesty was downright RUDE to any suggestion made from the conservatives. He knew what he wanted to do, and any show at 'bipartisanship' was just that, a show.
@rodney850 (2145)
First and foremost let's understand what the intention of this "amnesty" was and that was to gain the hispanic vote. There was no humanitarian or philanthropic considerations. This was political, period!
@rodney850 (2145)
No, I haven't but it sounds like a good read. I'll have to check and see if it's available on kindle.
@debrakcarey (19925)
I got it from our local library.
@bobmnu (8160)
What I find interesting is an article that I read where the government is doing an excellent job of tracking one group of foreigners. They are the ones that are brought here to work for high tech business and in Health Care. Most are educated her but paid for by their home governments to learn the highly technical and engineering fields. They have a student visa and then a 3 year work visa. These are highly trained and here legally and the government is able to track them and remind them when it is time to leave. The government catches a criminal who is illegal and somehow they are let go and commit another crime and another until something makes the national news then sometimes action is taken. As I see the President's Amnesty Plan we reward the people who come here illegally and punish those who are here legally and want to stay and pay taxes. I guess this is Liberal Justice.
@debrakcarey (19925)
I have read and heard many LEGAL immigrants say the same thing, it is UNFAIR and they are upset for the hoops they had to jump through yet others get a pass. AND those who have family waiting to come legally are the most upset. I'd like to see what a progressive would do if suddenly 50 people showed up at their house, walked in without invitation, went to the refrigerator, helped themselves to the roast or steak being saved for Sunday, turned up the AC, and sat down and changed the channel on the TV all without permission or invitation. ???
@flowerchilde (12520)
The thing that most bothers me (along with usurping the bill Marco Rubio was drafting) is how said amnesty is like a proclamation rather than going through the normal processes of, ahem, Congress!! Proclamations are for kings and the like, not U.S. Constitutional law!! Trying to set a precedent, is my take on it.. a very dangerous precedent! Now that Constitutional Law (and U.S. history/foundation) has been stripped from the minds of those passing through our educational system!!