Most people have herd mentality - do you agree with that ?

@kiran8 (15347)
Mangalore, India
Most people follow the crowd sometimes blindly and sometimes because they feel safer to do so. They would rather do what the majority does rather than be different ...
@bhanusb (5709)
Hi kiran, this is true. I found several times in the footpath people were biting a man assuming that man was a mugger.This kind of happening occurs frequently. None bothers to know the actual fact.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Yes that's what I too feel Bhanu . there was an old film of Raj Kapoor called Jagte Raho which showed this clearly.It was an excellent film dealing with people and how they get carried away with what others say without actually analysing the facts - all the best and happy mylotting
Unfortunately some can do this. They'll act without knowing or asking for the facts as you said. I hope some will be more individual in the future because the more people will "follow the herd" the less the world will have anything original in it.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Exactly ! a few powerful individuals will be able to control the rest of the population when such a thing happens..It is always better to stand for your beliefs and convictions rather than follow the crowd
@sjvg1976 (15749)
Hi Kiran, Things for those i am bit confident and know i don't go with crowd but for the things which are completely unknown or new for me i go with the crowd as i feel that is the safest way i don't have the courage to go to different path when i am new to it.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Hi Sanjeev, it is nice to be interacting with you here Yes exactly, That's what happens with most people since they would rather follow what others did than take a chance - all the best Sanjeev and happy mylotting time since we have another day to earn more
@suni51 (1879)
Hello SJ- I must congratulate you on this one as you have accepted it with so much courage. This in itself shows that you go your own way otherwise this is easy to say that you go your own way. Thanks for being so straight forward, keep it up.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Hi Lily, thanks a lot for your response - It is this very thinking of safety and shirking responsibility that makes one follow the crowd.Very few people do their own thing unless it is a personal issue - all the best and happy mylotting
@jaiho2009 (39034)
Depends on what aspect. I have observe that youngsters follow what is fad, trend and fashion. Even with their career, we can hear young people saying they want to be like this and like that because that's what the industry is looking for etc. So, I guess that depends on each individual if they want to follow the majority or be unique.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Hi jaiho, thanks a lot for your response - this is not just following a fad,fashion or trends, but people trying to agree with the majority instead of standing on their own .They do it only when it actually concerns them..
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Hi jaiho, it is not just about fashion,fad or trends, but more about people and their attitudes.Most people would rather pay it safe and agree with the majority unless an issue directly concerns them , thanks a lot for your response all the best
@Suebee (2013)
I think it depends on the individual. Younger people tend to "herd mentally" whereas older people do not require the "strength in numbers" attitude to go out and do things on their own. When we are younger we tend to have a need to fit in and be accepted by the crowd. This includes doing things that you may not necessarily want to be do, but your desire to be accepted by your peers outweighs your reservations about doing it. As you we get older, acceptance from others seems less important and fulfilling our our own desires and wants seems to be the main focal point. We tend to do things with or without others. I realize that this may not be true for everyone, but I'm speaking in general terms here.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
That is true to a certain extent.However, I have seen even older people trying to fit in rather than stick out like a sore thumb with their ' different ' views from others.No one wants to stand firm on any issue unless it concerns them directly, that has been my experience with most people - thanks a lot for sharing your views Suebee and happy mylotting
@Suebee (2013)
I agree, but as I said, I was speaking in generalities...
If what majority does works and enables me to achieve what i wanted to achieve why not? I don't want to prove anything by just being different. We live this life just once, take every opportunity there is to succeed. Of course if what the majority is doing is not right i wouldn't follow. Look at the pros and the cons. Decide what's best and what's best is normally what the majority does. No harm being different. Another question, if being different or being yourself destroys you, would you still go on?
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
As long as a person is able to make his or her own decisions it is perfectly alright, but when you take things too far by blindly going with the crowd, where issues are concerned then it can be a dangerous and unhealthy trend...like for example, when wrong information is circulated about others and people tend to believe without checking and make the person concerned an outcast...
@echoforever (5192)
I haven't thought about it for myself. I see this in a lot of people and especially children when they're first making friends. I don't think I am this way but like you have mentioned they can be "blindly" following. I consider myself to be a more unique and stand alone person in the world of the herd. How about yourself?
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Hi echo, thanks a lot for your response It is always better to analyse things before making up your mind or simply following other people - all the best and happy mylotting
@jkct02 (2859)
Herd mentality is an illness. It is an invisible l - Herd mentality is an illness. It is an invisible lock on the free mind of a man
Yes, I agree. Most people behave that way because they are not sure of themselves. They don't know what they want. They don't know what they can have. They don't know what their rights are. They don't have an independent mind to think for themselves. When they see that it is something that everybody does, they will feel that it must be good or the right thing to do. I think that it has something to do with education. The more people are educated, the more people will think with their own head. Knowledge and information are the medicine to cure such mental illness.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Hi jkct, I agree with what you say,it is lack of knowledge and also lack of confidence in some that makes them follow others since it is convenient to do so and also safer !If all are doing good it is alright, but when they are themselves being manipulated by someone smart then it can lead to harm or some serious consequences..
@suni51 (1879)
Hi KiranG- I am little hesitant but would like to differ with any one on this point. I am not a crowd man but find my own ways even if I loose some of my money doing so. I am not the one who would bet on a certain horse because the booky has rated it number one. I would look the pros and cons carefully and go with my own calculation. I would like to say very humbly that I would go according to my own calculation without calculating loss or profit.I hope you know what I mean.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Yes Sunil I can understand exactly what you feel , there are few people who would rather do what they want to and think is right for them without blindly following others.Thank god for that, just imagine what this world would be if there wee a handful of leaders and the rest followers
• Kochi, India
You are absolutely correct!!Infact this same herd mentality is utilized by our leaders to make us vote for them.People feel more secure in a unit of many. People tend to become,the beast they really are in a crowd.This mentality works behind all riot(political or communal).We become more powerful and fearless in a group. But we should use this strength in favor of society and country and not against it.It is here,where a good leader is needed.A good leader always leads this crowd to do what is better for them,the society and nation.But most of the so called leaders are evil,they use their fan base for their political advantage and not for the benefit of the country...thanx for raising this issue.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Hi geta, thanks a lot for sharing your views . I agree that when a person stands up to his convictions he can grow as an individual.But this a rare trait which only a few have and most others just go with the flow whether they agree or not,like or not - all the best
@yugasini (12814)
• Anantapur, India
hi kiran madam, how are you madam, yes people are thinking and they will follow with majority people,if the majority people get loss they also get loss,if majority people gain they also gain,they do not have any own thinkings and thoughts just like a goat will follow the mob of the the goats,am i said any thing wrong madam,if i say wrong kindly excuse me,have a nice day
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Hi sridhar, thats well said what you say is correct,most people would rather play it safe than do things on their own or take risks.Many may feel that it is only natural - all the best sridhar and have a nice week ahead
@narnia007 (1051)
You are right.Many people are afraid to go in their own thoughts and decision-the simple reason being the fear of failure.If they fail,they have got a leverage to say that they have failed because they have followed other persons and there by sharing the guilt,blame on other persons.On the other side,if we follow the paths of successful people,we will know the pits and traps waiting for us from their experience and there by successful by learning other people's mistakes.But,which one is really going on in one's mind is difficult to know.
@mobhomeir (7565)
Hi kiran, that's right and it is like in a fashion trend. Good to those following it that really fit or match to their personality. But, pity to those who awkwardly following it without seeing themselves if they would be good to see from other eyes..Funny isn't it.. instead of following rightfully on what the fashion is, it seems that he/she is out of passion already. Mobhomeir here 070412 1335hrs
@choybel (5059)
I guess it is natural. I mean whenever people see that it is what is usually done, it automatically becomes what must be done or maybe it is like a safety cushion, knowing that it is the norm and not wanting to be looked at differently or judged. I think that the people who choose to be unique are those that usually stand out and set the trends, then eventually they either become famous or weird. If they become famous, everyone wants to be the same and so the uniqueness fades, but today usually weird is famous so again everything just goes around.